Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #6,917 of 8,119
JR is a sennheiser authorized dealer, why would you doubt them?

And you'd have to call in to get a better price, sometimes it takes a few calls to get it as low as 250 usd.

May 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #6,918 of 8,119

Quote:
No but they don't sell gray market equipment they are as reputable as amazon

U obviously dont know what you're talking about. Amazon is actually notorious for fakes since the IE8s would come from hundreds of different stores that sells through amazon. Plenty of victims here especially amazon UK.  Ask around.. or read this thread

Quote:
did you have to call for the special pricing? 

Yea, i had to call in.

Quote:
JR is a sennheiser authorized dealer, why would you doubt them?

And you'd have to call in to get a better price, sometimes it takes a few calls to get it as low as 250 usd.

Hi Jeffz,
i actually dont know why i have this paranoia. Its not just with JR, its any company really - even authorized ones. The other reason is because, like i said in my other post, theyre in New York and are exposed to plenty of counterfeiters abroad from watches to clothing to electronics and to even colognes. Not sure where you're from, but if you have ever been to certain parts of NY, you'll know exactly what i mean. Im not saying that JR would be a target because frankly, i think theyre legit.  But i just cant help but question it. Its just paranoia thats all. I would have this paranoia even with bestbuy, even if they carried it on their shelves (they dont).

In some ways, I blame it for reading countless threads about all these victims and theyre fakes spent with hard earned money. It just sounds UNFAIR to me.. I am especially sadden by the ones that have actually bought fakes but think theyre real. And theyre listening to a totally different sound than what they were meant to be - which is night and day. On the other hand, i feel fortunate enough to have a community like HeadFi since 2005 (im not much of a poster) where the knowledge i have gained from other peoples expertise and opinions are just priceless as compared to an average Joe who jsut goes out and spend their loot on worthless crap without researching.

May 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #6,919 of 8,119
Well, I'm sure mayassa regrets trying to help you out.
If you buy from Amazon and not through Amazon I don't think you'll have a problem.
If you decide you need to rag me out keep it to yourself.

Quote:
U obviously dont know what you're talking about. Amazon is actually notorious for fakes since the IE8s would come from hundreds of different stores that sells through amazon. Plenty of victims here especially amazon UK.  Ask around.. or read this thread

May 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #6,920 of 8,119
So my previous set of IE8 either got lost or stolen. I believe it's the latter because I was extremely careful with em, Nevertheless, since I was in the market for some IEMs I thought it wouldn't hurt to try some other options. The advantage I have is that I can listen to these IEMs before making a purchase. After a series of auditions with the W4, GR10, SE535 and Sony EX1000, I am now at home enjoying my music through a brand new pair of IE8. I was actually quite hoping to own something new to be honest. All of these IEMs have their merits and would appeal to various folks. For me, the IE8 delivers a very coherent sound, and with its romantic presentation pulls me into the music and I am just lost in the music. That smile on my face that disrupts the seal a little tells me that I made the right decision for ME haha. For that alone, I am willing to live with a few of its blemishes. Once again, out of the box they are excellent. This is actually the third pair of IE8 that am listening to out of the box and they all sounded great to me, and I detected no major change. I cannot negate other folks' experience with burn in, but at this point I really couldn't be bothered with punishing these with pink noise or what not. I'll be enjoying my music from the get go instead.

May 6, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #6,921 of 8,119
I ordered my set today I called 3 times would not go lower than 259. 99 so I caved..... Yeah I stick with stuff from stuff sold by amazon free 2 day shipping with prime. Never was ripped off and prime is free for a slick dealer. :wink:

May 7, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #6,922 of 8,119
Been over two months with these IEM's, they are indeed wonderful. However, I decided to buy Monster supertips to see if I can improve the seal and maybe boost sound quality a bit. Apparently I wasted my money.

Anyone else have experiences with supertips, mainly shrinking the soundstage?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #6,923 of 8,119

Quote:
Been over two months with these IEM's, they are indeed wonderful. However, I decided to buy Monster supertips to see if I can improve the seal and maybe boost sound quality a bit. Apparently I wasted my money.

Anyone else have experiences with supertips, mainly shrinking the soundstage?

If you haven't already, try some UE silicon tips (single flanges). A lot of folks, including myself , have had great results with those.

May 9, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #6,924 of 8,119

Quote:
If you haven't already, try some UE silicon tips (single flanges). A lot of folks, including myself , have had great results with those.

Do we have a picture of which ones you are mentioning ? Just need to make sure...  Im also trying to find a better tip. So far the Sony hybrids are best for me but still has a lot of room for improvement. I cant get a good tight seal no matter how hard i push in. It happens wiht every single tip i tried.

May 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #6,925 of 8,119

Quote:
Do we have a picture of which ones you are mentioning ? Just need to make sure...  Im also trying to find a better tip. So far the Sony hybrids are best for me but still has a lot of room for improvement. I cant get a good tight seal no matter how hard i push in. It happens wiht every single tip i tried.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2404&aff=window

Those are the ones I use.

May 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #6,926 of 8,119
Called JR's back they dropped the price to $249.99 before the order shipped.  I'll post pics when they come in, should bein by Friday.  Then you can help decide if JR's is a safe place top order theses from. 

May 11, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #6,927 of 8,119

Starting to like the ie8 more and more, except its awkward fit.

And is it just me or the ie8 is freaking loud? On my iphone 4 i could only set it max at one volume block on most songs and some songs I'd have to adjust it down. Im wondering for those with iphone 4 + senn ie8, what volume do you guys set on?

May 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #6,929 of 8,119
I just got a pair of IE8's, one thing I'm noticing is a contact issue with the plug.

On any contact, sound will crackle, occasionally losing sound in one side or the other ear.

This holds true if I plug it into an ipod, a headphone amp, directly to a pc's headphone jack, so it's definitely on the IE8's plug's side.

What do you guys think? Should I get it replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back