Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #6,886 of 8,119

Quote:
I had spent some time comparing the new Shure SE215s to my IE8s yesterday.  I've never been blown away by the IE8s as I feel the highs are far too recessed.  The SE215s best the IE8s in mids and highs.  As well, the SE215s have better isolation, similar ergonomics, similar replaceable cables.  If you're considering the IE8s, you may want to do a bit of research into the SE215s as well.

SE215 is a Shure product, and yet, you're saying the highs are better than the IE8? Mids too? Are you absolutely sure that your IE8's are genuine? I've tried every single Shure iem extensively (except the 215s) and even the treble on the 530s was more recessed than my IE8s. I can't possibly see how their bottom of the line iem can have better mids & highs than the IE8s. Unless the treble of the 215s is somehow better than the 530s, this should say it all:

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #6,887 of 8,119
hey guyz, jst a quick question here..i'm looking to buy an ie8 from ebay...are these "top rated sellers" reliable? im new to this whole ebay thing (never used it before)..

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #6,888 of 8,119

Quote:
hey guyz, jst a quick question here..i'm looking to buy an ie8 from ebay...are these "top rated sellers" reliable? im new to this whole ebay thing (never used it before)..

IMO its very risky, the top rated seller means nothing. Although I got mine off ebay, my seller was new and he assured me with pics and in the description that they were real, saying he had bought from the high street, and I knew they were real as Id had a set b4. TBH, just get them off amazon. + warranty can be claimed.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #6,889 of 8,119
thnx for the rply man...tho, there is a lot of difference in  the listed prices !! 279$ on ebay(authorized dealer?) vs 399 $ on amazon!!

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #6,890 of 8,119

Quote:
thnx for the rply man...tho, there is a lot of difference in  the listed prices !! 279$ on ebay(authorized dealer?) vs 399 $ on amazon!!

the price is always a give away, $279 dont sound too cheap but even still its sooo risky and trust me the difference is night and day if you ended up getting a fake pair you may be put off for life go with the suggestion and get them from the authorised seller at least you can be sure they are real and you can enjoy them instead of inspect them when you get em.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #6,891 of 8,119
thnx mate..

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #6,892 of 8,119
After having the IE8 for almost a year and a half now, I think I finally found the perfect tips for me. I was previously using the medium double-flanged or the stock medium tips and while they sounded very good, I would have to adjust them every hour or so because they started getting loose/hurting my ears. Bought the Sony hybrids a while back but I ripped the top part from the colored part them while switching them around with different tips. Oops. Sounded great but they actually started hurting my ears even more than the stock ones but sounded much better than the stock tips. Went back to using the stock tips for many more months and finally decided to get the Monster foam and gel tips (got them for much cheaper than Amazon :D)

At first, I was very disappointed because none of the tips fit, but eventually got the black foam tips to work. They sound amazing and I can't believe how much the sound has actually changed. I thought the stock tips were amazing since the day I got the IE8, but these tips just improved the sound quality by a lot. I have no idea what the foam tips are made of. They can compress a bit but are a completely different material than the Comply foam tips. Also unlike the stock IE8 tips, once these foam tips go in your year, the headphones stay there. I can move my head around a bunch and they won't slip out. No idea if these get dirty quickly like the Comply foam tips. I also won't have to worry about ripping these apart like the Sony hybrids because they are a very good fit for the IE8s. Highly recommend these tips!

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #6,893 of 8,119
Just received my ie8s (authentic from J&R). The sound isn't as thick/lush/warm as i remembered; when I demoed it last year, i was fairly sure i preferred the ie8 over my MTPC, but right now im not hearing it. The bass out-of-box was pretty impactful but right now it is not as impactful, treble at this stage is pretty grainy and harsh on female vocals. Don't get me wrong, they sound good just not up to MTPC standards as of now, which I hope burn-in would change. Another thing to note is that I never felt they were THAT laid-back as everyone is saying and I wasn't expecting the highs to be this good, everyone is saying how veil it sounds but I don't find them veil at all.

For the build quality, i prefer MTPC over the ie8; the MTPC feels a lot sturdier, the cable is thicker and well the earpieces are made of "copper". When I took these ie8s out of the box, I was shocked by how light they were! In my ear, the ie8s doesn't feel like its there at all, coming from the coppers, i need to get used to it. And the shallow fit feels kind of weird to me.

Have tried experimenting some tips, alternating between medium UE tips and the default tips right now. I like the fit of the monster default tips but the stem is pretty long which reduces the bass impact and making me not being able to use them while sleeping. Tried the sony hybrids as well, but these are hard to get on the stem and to remove them.

I'm still debating should I use my songs (have been using this method for all my earphones) or pink noise to burn it in, anyone know which is better?

Well I hope burn-in would help these earphones because I was in love with them the moment i hear them last year.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #6,894 of 8,119
Hey.
I have a problem with my IE8s. As far as i remeber, it has been reported earlier.
Every time i turn the player on and accidentally ( or not ) move the cord i get this irritating, crackling noise. But the most weird thing is that those unwanted sounds are usually gone within 10 to 15 seconds, after moving the plug around. Everything goes back to normal. No distortions at all.
I must admit that i am a bit concerned and i'm wondering whether i should insist on having them replaced ( still on warranty; those are my best ear/headphones by far ). I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me what's going on, as i would really like to avoid this time-consuming procedure.
Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6,896 of 8,119
Well, if you're considering player's jack oxidation, then my S638F have its jack oxidized as well. I get this noise on both players :wink:
It seems that my IE8s jack needs some hard cleaning, but i'm still not sure if it's not a kind of wiring problem.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #6,897 of 8,119

Quote:
Hey.
I have a problem with my IE8s. As far as i remeber, it has been reported earlier.
Every time i turn the player on and accidentally ( or not ) move the cord i get this irritating, crackling noise. But the most weird thing is that those unwanted sounds are usually gone within 10 to 15 seconds, after moving the plug around. Everything goes back to normal. No distortions at all.
I must admit that i am a bit concerned and i'm wondering whether i should insist on having them replaced ( still on warranty; those are my best ear/headphones by far ). I would be really grateful if anyone could tell me what's going on, as i would really like to avoid this time-consuming procedure.
Thanks in advance.

I had this when mine was new.  Just keep using it, and it will completely disappear after a while.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #6,898 of 8,119
It can also be static from the cable rubbing against your clothing.

Quote:
Hey.
Thanks in advance.

Quote:

I had this when mine was new.  Just keep using it, and it will completely disappear after a while.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #6,899 of 8,119

Quote:
It can also be static from the cable rubbing against your clothing.

Probably not, I've never had that problem with my IE8's. When I first got em I had the same problem. Just give the plug a good rub and it'll go away in a week or so.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back