Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #6,871 of 8,119

Quote:

You listened to them out of the box didn't you? A lot of us (Me included) were somewhat underwhelmed with the sound of the IEMs OOTB.  Give it some burn in time and your impressions will improve. That, and being so used to the bass response of your old headphones will have an effect on your perception of the sound. 

And anyone here with IE8i IEM's with the audio controls ? I want the mic/ audio controls to play nice with my Windows 7 laptop and Android phone, but no dice.  Any solutions to this problem?

Yes they have improved in a number of areas but not sub-bass. The bass range of the M5's vs. the IE8's is like chalk and cheese. The M5's ooze ample sub-bass, it's like the IE8's clump some of the deeper frequencies together or ignore them, theres no real depth in comparison. The M5's can reach levels you'd expect from a 2 meter high sub-woofer, the IE8's don't reach anything like that.
Other aspects of the IE8's are better though so I'll be purchasing a pair of MG7's and keeping the IE8's.

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #6,872 of 8,119
I have the IE8 and Atrio MG7 and I agree the Atrio has better quality bass with more sub-bass. However, in terms of overall quantity the IE8 (with the dial on max) has more bass to my ears.

I'm not sure which I prefer. Sometimes the non-intrustive bass of the Atrio is nice, but at other times I just want a wall of bass which I think the IE8 does better.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #6,874 of 8,119
Just wanted to drop an FYI that I just listed my IE8 for sale at $210 including UPS shipping, packaging, and $300 insurance. I have posted on them extensively in this forum over the last year and will be sad to see them go. Happy listening!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546841/sennheiser-ie8-original-owner

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #6,877 of 8,119

Quote:
This eBay seller sure looks legit to me, contrary to 99% of the others. Not sure about the price, though - it's not really cheap, is it? (In Europe the IE8 can be had for around EUR 170-180.)

The thing is that this seller is absent from the Sennheiser authorized dealers' list, found here: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_dealer-locator_authorized-retailers

And besides, the non-authorized dealer list contains entries with similar names, like Pro Audio Express or Pro Audio Kingdom: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/nonauthorized

So far, looks suspicious!

UPDATE Please, read my post here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/457420/warning-fake-ie8s-comparison-pictures-included/735#post_7375107
I have some usefull info about this seller!

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #6,878 of 8,119
Question.

Is it possible to get a bad burn in for these? 
I have both the IE7 and IE8. I haven't listened to my IE8 for awhile, and I just dug 'em out to have another go. 

The IE8 seems to have fairly weak highs. can anyone confirm? the IE7 seems to have better highs. 
I'm wondering if it's because of how I burned the IE8 in. I just had them plugged to my pc 
and had them burned in for long periods of time. Once, someone accidentally maxed the volume. I was really pissed.
They weren't broken. But the sound did change a lot. Didn't like the sound and still wonder to this day if this experience 
could have contributed to the negative change in sound.

both using medium Sony Hybrids.

What do you guys think of the highs on the IE8? no denying the Tfi 10 has better highs. But I didn't expect such a big difference.
And to think the IE8s have weaker highs than the lesser IE7s... disappointed. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #6,881 of 8,119
Hi, thinking of getting the ie 8. have been looking around online a little bit and found the better offers on amazon uk. any other places to try? anybody know what the prices are like in shops in the us? if bought online from amazon uk, can the warranty be used even if i'm in the us?

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #6,884 of 8,119
I had spent some time comparing the new Shure SE215s to my IE8s yesterday.  I've never been blown away by the IE8s as I feel the highs are far too recessed.  The SE215s best the IE8s in mids and highs.  As well, the SE215s have better isolation, similar ergonomics, similar replaceable cables.  If you're considering the IE8s, you may want to do a bit of research into the SE215s as well.

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #6,885 of 8,119

Quote:
I had spent some time comparing the new Shure SE215s to my IE8s yesterday.  I've never been blown away by the IE8s as I feel the highs are far too recessed.  The SE215s best the IE8s in mids and highs.  As well, the SE215s have better isolation, similar ergonomics, similar replaceable cables.  If you're considering the IE8s, you may want to do a bit of research into the SE215s as well.

going by your list of IEM's by preference are you saying the shure se215's better the IE8 as well as ety 4's, super fi 5 pro's and shure e4c's?? and right up behind the se530's?

im guessing you have not updated your sig but i cant imagine the se215's would earn a place on the top row let alone above the IE8's and right in line with the se530. ofcourse its your choice and your ears but surely the se215's cant kick it with the big boys can it, theres more to the midrange and highs than how forward it is theres the quality of sound which goes much deeper such as timbre and soundstage, i will go with you that the IE8 does not demonstrate the best midrange or highs but upon comparing them to my se530 id say there are qualities the shures cant demonstrate such as the pure space and imaging which is helped by the not so great isolation IMO. the isolation is a big flaw with the IE8 in my opinion but to some this is not a flaw because i think without this the expansive sound would suffer, it seems like a closed design but i tend to think it isnt and it isnt on purpose. i believe the screw is a port and ofcourse ports are open to the outside and without this the soundstage is not the same try covering them with your fingers it sucks the life out the speakers.

just for reference tho i think the se530 does demonstrate a more clinical sound and its a little more ''pro'' if you like, but for pure fun and feel the IE8 are exceptional, burn in at around 50hrs with me so far i dont know if they will improve.

anyway im rambling, i have not heard the se215 myself but i have listened to the se310 and it didnt compare. totally different maybe but if the se215 really do beat the IE8 im going to get some, can you please elaborate on what makes the se215 mids and highs better and dont say its more forward because forward dont mean better.

cheers and thanks for the input would be great to know what makes them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back