Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #6,301 of 8,119
Mine have now around 120 hours on them and seem to be settling in nicely. I have noticed that like speakers or my K701's and Stax the do benifit from a little warm up before listening. about twenty minutes and the sound settles and the experience is wonderful.

As I mentioned before, one forgets about the equipment and gets involved with the music and emotion of it. I would have that over absolute detail any day as after all it's what it's all about really eh! Mind, having said that the detail is there, one can hear the different areas around the rim of a drum that the drummer is hitting with his sticks, likewise one can also hear the vocalist move around the mike, it all adds to the atmosphere!

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6,302 of 8,119

Quote:
I have noticed that like speakers or my K701's and Stax the do benifit from a little warm up before listening. about twenty minutes and the sound settles and the experience is wonderful.

That sounds like mental burn-in or psychoacoustics to me.  I used to get that from the Shure 530's.  I don't think this is a positive aspect to a phones sound signature.  My 2 cents.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #6,303 of 8,119

Quote:
That sounds like mental burn-in or psychoacoustics to me.  I used to get that from the Shure 530's.  I don't think this is a positive aspect to a phones sound signature.  My 2 cents.

You know, your probably right, Years and years of being into hifi sometimes is not so good a thing:)

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #6,304 of 8,119
I failed to search if this has been discussed but..

If you have heard your ie8 with the nuforce uDacs headphone amp, how does it sound? Does it generate hiss? How it affects on the SQ. How is the synergy between the two compared to ie8 and some other(fairly cheap) amps?
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #6,305 of 8,119
Currently I LOVE my IE8's for they're punchy bass and spacious sound but I'm wondering if bass tune is a huge difference can you please explain what the features of each setting are for example

1st setting:Less Bass,More Airy Sound Bigger/Smaller Soundstage,Punchier Bass?

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #6,306 of 8,119
TBH You can best answer your own question by having a play. Rather than worrying about what other people hear. It's all about how it sounds to you. Having said that, IME the bass knob only seems to affect  the very low frequencies and I don't quite understand why anyone would want to cut those. The bass knob does nothing to the famous ie8 midbass hump IMO.

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #6,307 of 8,119

Quote:

If you have heard your ie8 with the nuforce uDacs headphone amp, how does it sound? Does it generate hiss? How it affects on the SQ. How is the synergy between the two compared to ie8 and some other(fairly cheap) amps?
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

That is so funny that you write that as I am thinking the same thing.
I just went throught a bunch of threads and PM'd headphone addict and it seems the synergy would be good. I am going to bite the bullet and get one so will report back once the all important burn in has occured!

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #6,308 of 8,119

Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
That is so funny that you write that as I am thinking the same thing.
I just went throught a bunch of threads and PM'd headphone addict and it seems the synergy would be good. I am going to bite the bullet and get one so will report back once the all important burn in has occured!

No, you PM'd me about the Nuforce Icon Mobile, not the uDAC - I said that I posted in this thread previously that the Vivid V1 and Icon Mobile worked well with the IE8.

I would worry the uDAC would sound too bassy and dark with the IE8.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #6,309 of 8,119

Quote:

No, you PM'd me about the Nuforce Icon Mobile, not the uDAC - I said that I posted in this thread previously that the Vivid V1 and Icon Mobile worked well with the IE8.

I would worry the uDAC would sound too bassy and dark with the IE8.

Sorry HA, you are quite correct, that was my bad for not reading the OP's post better!!

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #6,310 of 8,119

Quote:

Hmmm... I thought I was the only one.. I'd swear to it as well, they seemed to settle in after a few songs..  psychoacoustics??  Mental burn in??  Maybe, but I had the same experience..  Strange indeed..

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #6,311 of 8,119

Quote:
Hmmm... I thought I was the only one.. I'd swear to it as well, they seemed to settle in after a few songs..  psychoacoustics??  Mental burn in??  Maybe, but I had the same experience..  Strange indeed..

There are more things in Heaven and Earth Horatio!

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #6,312 of 8,119
How would you compare the IE8s to the CX300s, especially in terms of bass? It's really essential, as i am coming from those earphones and i'm going to give the IE8s a try. I'm really afraid of this famous "mid-bass hump". I'm going to run them with my Sony X.
An overall comparison between them and the W3s would be nice too.

Thanks in advance :)

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #6,313 of 8,119

Quote:
How would you compare the IE8s to the CX300s, especially in terms of bass? It's really essential, as i am coming from those earphones and i'm going to give the IE8s a try. I'm really afraid of this famous "mid-bass hump". I'm going to run them with my Sony X.
An overall comparison between them and the W3s would be nice too.

Thanks in advance :)

Out of box, a well burnt-in CX-300 can actually sound smoother than the IE8. That's how I heard it. But as time goes on, the IE8 will pull ahead, with its smooth treble, and excellent imaging. The vocals is also sounded more natural on the IE8. Bass quality is definitely better than the CX-300 for sure. Much tighter and well controlled. Instrument are not well defined on the CX-300, at times sounding off. CX's bass sounded like a monotone boom to me, as it lacks texture as compared to IE8. If you have the money, I'd say get the IE8. But there are also a lot of excellent earphones around. If you can, try out some other earphones of similar price range to see which one you like more.

I sold both my CX-300 and the IE8 eventually, and moved on to other earphones, as the Sennheiser sound sig on those earphones does not suit me.

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #6,314 of 8,119
I tried to reply earlier at work, because I just happened to have a chance to listen to the Sony X today!

My impression is that the Sony X is really a clean player that is nicely balanced- not too cold and not as warm as the iPhone 3gs.

This makes the Sony X a better fit for the IE8's to me.  After I get the iPhone 4 I will have to compare and decide if I will also get a Sony X player because I love the tighter, more controlled bass from the X as well as the EQ and digital surround effects.

I have only heard the IE8's with around 6 sources but think this is a good, very portable combo!

Edit: should also add that specifically, the iPhone sounded "mushier."  Just not technically as clean as the X...my co-worker had different bitrates on the X and I was able to email him and pick out which were which bitrate to a pretty close degree. 

Jun 19, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #6,315 of 8,119
I have just ordered a NuForce Icon mobile today and once it arrives I will post thoughts on the synergy to the IE 8, I have heard it is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back