Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5,986 of 8,119
eric-
It's funny that I can quickly adjust to the sound of the mids on the TF10's, but when I go back to the IE8's it sounds more open and full, more natural.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5,987 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eric-
It's funny that I can quickly adjust to the sound of the mids on the TF10's, but when I go back to the IE8's it sounds more open and full, more natural.

Well, I sold my TF10s @ cn11. I will say that the bass and treble sounded really nice to me with the TF10s (and for some reason instrumental jazz was quite decent to my ears), but whenever i played a song with vocals I just couldn't stand the TF10s. Plus, there was no space between instruments, so I agree that the IE8s sound more open and full and natural.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #5,988 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my hd650,and let me tell you it smacks the ie8 in every possible area...really no contest.it doesn't have the nasty mid bass hump of the ie8.The bass is the most well cotrolled,defined,textured,deepest I have ever heard.no bloat at all like that of the ie8,not as powerful as the ie8,a slotch lower than that of the ie8.mids are not as recessed as the ie8 and never sibilant or fatiguing.also the vocals are not fat and dull as the ie8 but not thin at all,full bodied and sweet and more clearer than the ie8.soundstage and 3D-ish feel.....no contest at all.the hd650 soundstage has excellent depth and height and wide but not as wide as the ie8.I sold my k701 because of soundstage depth issues and it was very wide and artificial.THe air in the hd650 is superb and better than the ie8.the presentation and air between instruments is better than the ie8 by a great margin.no veil at all in the hd650 and the details is insane,trumps the ie8 in details but not as brutally detailed as the k701.it is very forgiving and very relaxing to listen to and never aggresive.everything is better with hd650 than the ie8,not in the same league at all and not a fair comparison I know but some headfiers askked me to compare the hd650 with the ie8 because they are considering it.I hope the burn in doesn't make the hd650 as veiled as the ie8.

Funny, I never got into the HD650s and sold them off without batting an eye...the IE8s on the other hand...NO WAY..they are mine!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #5,989 of 8,119
I find my HD600 to be brighter and definitely to have a larger soundstage and more space between the instruments but the IE8 still has enough similarities to have that certain Sennhesier sound. I like them both for different reasons and they are very nice as a duo because I can switch between them depending on what I am listening to.

I sold my TF10 already as both Senn's just eclipse them in every way that matters to me. To be blunt my Holy Grail hunt is over, so my posts are probably going to get more sporadic as I simply stop searching for that next big thing. I do look forward to hearing the changes in these as they grow up though andf if I really need a higher energy phone I'll throw on my Beta Brainwavz or simply use a different tip on these as I am finding I can significantly change the sound of these with different tips (I have a pair of bi-flange tips someone (maybe CN11) recommended off of Ebay that make these almost Grado-ish in my ears) plus I have the hollowed out complies that really change the sound of my UE tips. So I have lots of ways to change up my setup without buying anything new (yet LOL).

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #5,990 of 8,119
These are all I want to listen to.

If/when they break after 2 years I'll just get another set or whatever is the current best Senn iem.

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #5,993 of 8,119
Excellent review dfkt,very thoughtful and well written.The only thing I disagree with is the bass.it is not that tightly controlled or have that natural feel unlike the hd650 which is never bloated or the excellent bass of fx500.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #5,995 of 8,119
I had fully burned-in IE8 (550 hours) but their nozzle broke, so i got new pair. Difference between them is huge, new ones in first hours had terrible soundstage, highs were laid back, in small quantity, everything lacked details. Now they have 280 hours of burn in and they sound nearly as the old ones. Highs aren´t recessed anymore, detailed. Bass is punchy, detailed. For me it is definitely burn in, not burn out but i agree that this change to "neutral" can be for somebody burn out
regular_smile .gif
I think it´s good review, honest, with much information.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #5,996 of 8,119
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Midoo1990, maybe I was too lenient in the bass paragraph, indeed - but I thought I made it clear enough that the bass quality isn't bad per se but could be quite a bit improved. It sure is tighter than the CX300, Hippo Boom or similar stuff - but yeah, other phones indeed have even heavier bass that is still more controlled and less mid-bassy (UE11, Hippo VB, etc).

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #5,997 of 8,119
Agree bass quality is very good on the ie8 but there is more chance for improvement,just a little bit more control.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #5,998 of 8,119
Has anyone seen a replacement cable with an integrated mic? I love my ie8s, but sometimes I need to use them with my iphone...

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #5,999 of 8,119
Sorry if this has been mentioned before: It seems that the short replacement cable could further increasing SQ of IE8 (better instrument seperation and clarity in the mids).

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #6,000 of 8,119
So I just received my Comply T-400s for my IE8's and WOW, the BASS! I could not believe how punchy the bass is with these tips. I do have a bit of an issue with how it decreases the Treble to the point where I had to turn on "Treble Booster" in the EQ on my iPod. I assume others have seen these results with Complys?

I purchased the Large Complys and now I am thinking that might have something to do with the treble. They say that Medium "fit most", but the medium marshmellow tips that came with the IE8's did not get a good seal. Does anyone have the medium Complys that can comment on how they stack up size wise to the stock tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back