Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #5,416 of 8,119
So, received mine yesterday... and for the moment, very disappointed.
They sound veiled and muddy, and the midbass hump is HORRIBLE. Geeze, I did not like it on my super fi 5 pros,...well, it is way worse here!
At the moment, my 5 pros are sounding better, more detailed, sharper.
I guees I have to be a burn-in believer. Otherwhise, back to the shop!

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #5,417 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photofan1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound veiled and muddy, and the midbass hump is HORRIBLE. Geeze, I did not like it on my super fi 5 pros,...well, it is way worse here!

My original IE8 sounded exactly like yours and a little after 150 hours it started to open up (you can read my thoughts here). Well, my first paid had a nozzle break off, so I got a 2nd pair and those sounded much better out of the box. They still improved quite a bit with time, so I am not sure if it is me being used to the sound sig, or something different.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #5,418 of 8,119

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #5,419 of 8,119
^^wait for 100 hours and then listen them for a long time and you will appreciate what they can do.the veil and midbass hump will lessen but will still be there.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #5,421 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give it time, they sound muddy as first, but then they sharpen up, i cant believe how punchy and deep they go with the clip,

if you think the ie8 bass is punchy and deep,wait till you listen to the fx500.. they will blow your mind away
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #5,422 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you think the ie8 bass is punchy and deep,wait till you listen to the fx500.. they will blow your mind away
very_evil_smiley.gif

Agreed! But the ie8 have the better and smoother midrange as to why I prefer them instead.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #5,424 of 8,119
Ok, back after about 20 hours of burn-in...
WOW! There already is a big difference. The sound is much more refined, the midbass hump is still there, but i is not that veiled anymore. Bass seems faster already, and very powerful, oh and...smooooooth
smily_headphones1.gif

I said that my 5 pros were better? did I say that? Oh...No, not anymore^^ They sound harsh and sibilant in comparison. Almost unbearable, already!!!
Well, well, well...
smily_headphones1.gif
guess I'm gonna like them.
Plus, I've been using biflange tips, and the seal seemed to be ok, but I've tried UE medium silicone tips, and the seal is way better!
Hmm, they seem to have a GREAT potential. cannont wait until they reach maturity!

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #5,426 of 8,119
Just finished reading everything starting from page 1, which took roughly a week.. duh..
biggrin.gif

I stopped burning my IE8 at around 100 hours. I figured might as well enjoy the damn thing. It has already opened up to a point where I'm now enjoying all of its strengths (and some weaknesses).
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #5,427 of 8,119
^ Good for you. Why waste valuable listening time? I've read posts here where people have obsessively subjected their IE8's to four hundred hours of burn-in. I'd expect mine to be burnt-out after that time.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #5,428 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by h1a8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed! But the ie8 have the better and smoother midrange as to why I prefer them instead.

Agreed.their lush laid back sound and airy soundstage make the deal for me.

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5,429 of 8,119
Well, I received my custom tips today and I've spent a little time with them. The left fit was kind of bad, but I've trimmed it with a razor to make it better. I'll put up more impressions and pictures later today hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back