Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #4,441 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair of old foam tips from my IM716 laying around which I believe are the same ones that come with the ETY8.

er88-18f.jpg

I swapped these with the Comply foam I have been using under my regular Sony Silicone tips. (I feel you lose a little soundstage with the narrow opening of the Sony Hybrids)

I think I have finally found the right combo for my ears!
I got just a little more deep bass and actually had to go 1-2 notches down in volume. Just a tad brighter too. They are probably just closing up that last little bit of seal.

My subway home will be the final test!

So you are using only the foam, or did you put that foam under the Sonys? I prefer foam under these Sony tips as they have a wider opening, and I agree that the narrow opening does reduce the stage and treble.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #4,442 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are using only the foam, or did you put that foam under the Sonys? I prefer foam under these Sony tips as they have a wider opening, and I agree that the narrow opening does reduce the stage and treble.

Those are the Sony tips I am using, and yes the foam is under them. So basically your tips in your signature with the open cell foam instead of Comply memory foam. I found the isolation about the same as using the Comply foam. I'm not sure if I posted it in this thread or another but I also found that the foam in the P-Series Comply tips to work better than the T-400 tips. It seems to be more dense and there is a little more material to work with. I also believe that the P-Series and Ety foam tips clamp down much harder on the stalk of the Sony tips since it made for a 2.5 mm stalk and that helps provide a little better bass since it leaks out less.

So my preference is:

EPEX1/ETY8 Foam
EPEX1/Comply P-series
EPEX1/Comply T400
EPEX10A/Comply T400
EPEX10A/No foam

So thank you for your tips! Playing around with the different underlying foam has been fun! I have some foam earplug material I would also like to try that I bought years ago for the DIY foamie thread. I guess when I finally get tired of experimenting, I'll just have to get some ACS or ListenHear custom ear molds made.
wink_face.gif
Sorry wallet....

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #4,447 of 8,119
Quote:

Those are the Sony tips I am using, and yes the foam is under them. So basically your tips in your signature with the open cell foam instead of Comply memory foam. I found the isolation about the same as using the Comply foam. I'm not sure if I posted it in this thread or another but I also found that the foam in the P-Series Comply tips to work better than the T-400 tips. It seems to be more dense and there is a little more material to work with. I also believe that the P-Series and Ety foam tips clamp down much harder on the stalk of the Sony tips since it made for a 2.5 mm stalk and that helps provide a little better bass since it leaks out less.

So my preference is:

EPEX1/ETY8 Foam
EPEX1/Comply P-series
EPEX1/Comply T400
EPEX10A/Comply T400
EPEX10A/No foam

So thank you for your tips! Playing around with the different underlying foam has been fun! I have some foam earplug material I would also like to try that I bought years ago for the DIY foamie thread. I guess when I finally get tired of experimenting, I'll just have to get some ACS or ListenHear custom ear molds made.
wink_face.gif
Sorry wallet....

Thanks for your explanation, now you just need to try the decay mod (my version in the second IE8 link in my sig). Brings the IE8 to another level for me, but the isolation does go down. Maybe if you get a tube that fits in both the half-bi flange tip and the silicon tip you can get the best of both worlds. Come to think of it, when I get a chance I will look for something like that!

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #4,448 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOgdncrsti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone notice that if you listen to music with ie8 from pc the sound its bad its like stock mp3 earbuds with a little more bass but on mp3 the true sound show why the sound is different on pc?

The onboard sound of your motherboard is terrible. Get a good soundcard and it will sound much better than on your mp3.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #4,450 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your explanation, now you just need to try the decay mod (my version in the second IE8 link in my sig). Brings the IE8 to another level for me, but the isolation does go down. Maybe if you get a tube that fits in both the half-bi flange tip and the silicon tip you can get the best of both worlds. Come to think of it, when I get a chance I will look for something like that!

I did try the decay mod, I just could not get a seal and for most of my listening situations, the Frankenstein look just would not work for me. If you can find a drinking straw the right diameter, it might be just what your are looking for. I played a little bit with using a straw to turn the EPEX1 tips into something like the EPEX10A tips by using the straw to clamp the EPEX1 tips to the stalk. Unfortunately it did not work for me and I gave up on the idea.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #4,451 of 8,119
Tip mods are kind of like custom tips, what works for one might not work another. If you wish
to have another go though, don't hesitate to pm me and describe where you are stuck, i.e.
why do you think you can't get a seal. I can give you a few tips to try that could help.

As for aesthetics, the Frankenstein bolts fail. It's intended for getting the best sound
in places that you won't care about looks and isolation. Custom tips IMO will be best for
other situations.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4,452 of 8,119
Wow decay, i love the look of your mod. So overkill
tongue.gif

That sure is some IE8 lovin'
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #4,453 of 8,119
@dragoonf144
Thanks, but you haven't seen nothing yet... The mod in my avatar is nothing overkill-wise compared to what I'm playing with now.
I do give some rough lovin', hopefully they can handle it cuz otherwise I'll have to find a new housing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #4,454 of 8,119
Quote:

I did try the decay mod, I just could not get a seal and for most of my listening situations, the Frankenstein look just would not work for me. If you can find a drinking straw the right diameter, it might be just what your are looking for. I played a little bit with using a straw to turn the EPEX1 tips into something like the EPEX10A tips by using the straw to clamp the EPEX1 tips to the stalk. Unfortunately it did not work for me and I gave up on the idea.

Glad people are trying it because if it does work, it adds a lot. Maybe try with various tips as I did, maybe bi-flange. But if not, I respect that you at least tried it. You can always try the foam under silicon which is the best tip with my new IEM. However, the decay mod helped give my cheap Philips SHE9500's new life, well that and the AMP3.

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #4,455 of 8,119
Its MetroBBOY pipin' in, because i have joined the IE8 FanClub!

Only got these today, so im just burnin' them in now. My first impressions are very positive. I cant give provide any expert opinions, but my ears are excited and tappin' my heels and boppin' my head, coz this is just so damn "exhilirating". lol im exaggerating a bit but i cant help myself..

I've been playing lossless albums like Thriller, T.I and some Ministry Sessions compilations, and so far everything i throw it just gives me chills! To my ears they sound vibrant, detailed, offer wonderful soundstage and smooth bass notes.. So essentially all of the good stuff you guys talk about in re to their SQ. Using the dual-flange tips and wearing them (swapping L to R so it sits flush).

Im actually more impressed with it so far than when i had the TF10's.. I really wonder if the burn-in effect will occur to me, but im sweet as it is... Peace Ya'll!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back