Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #2,476 of 8,119
Hi guys. Would anyone know where to get the cheapest on-stock IE8? Ive tried a couple online stores and they are out of stock. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #2,477 of 8,119
Try forum vendor Sound Earphones... They currently have a 15% discount code for the launch of their new web site

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #2,478 of 8,119
I'm no really convinced that burning in for hundreds of hours with only casual listening until then is always the best thing to do; I can imagine using this method for getting a good idea of the IEMS for reviewpurposes and the like.
But for people who just look to use and enjoy the phones I would start listening after 20 hours; then the trebleharsness and midbasshump are gone; the chances after that are probably relatively minor and adaptation of the listener (a vital part of the system) then is in my estimation a larger factor then chances in the headphones.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #2,479 of 8,119
Go with Headroom at $319.00. Support our sponsors, and they need it right now. Of course it's your call but you will not get better service from better people and that is a good price.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #2,481 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. We'll have to trust the "it needs 250 hours" people and see what happens.

Crike! That's 3 months of listening for me. I'll have to do some overnighting with it.

My IE-8's are on the way and I do plan to just leave them playing music unattended for a couple days before seriously listening.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #2,482 of 8,119
Someone like HPA is trying to get an professional reviewlike comparison and has a large collection of all kind of phones, so his approach is burning-in for 250 to get the best impression of the IEM's.
but if you are an ordinairy mortal like me and bought them to use as your main IEM, 20 hours burning-in is enough to get rid of the treble harsness and midbass hump.
After that, use them for what they were made and bought, enjoy the music and forget about further burning-in, it will happen automatically.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #2,483 of 8,119
Wow, seems like I'm one of the very few lucky ones that find the IE8 to be a perfect fit; with the stock, supplied foam tips.
Mine have reached the 300hr mark and they're truly singing now.
Mating it with a Hornet, driving a Sansa Clip 8gb is quite blissful.

For sheer listening pleasure, these gems have pretty much rendered my other cans redundant.
Who wants a good deal on some GS1000s?
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2,484 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crike! That's 3 months of listening for me. I'll have to do some overnighting with it.

My IE-8's are on the way and I do plan to just leave them playing music unattended for a couple days before seriously listening.

Or 10 days continous
wink.gif
That's what I did
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #2,485 of 8,119
Well I did think that 150-250 hour stuff is crazy, but.. after letting them play all last night the treble has come out. I have about 200 plus hours after last night. I've been listening in the day and just letting them run on one of my other daps at night. I tell you the treble has surpassed my 1000 plus hour hd595s. I don't know if I really like it, it seems too sharp, now there in no veil whatsoever on the highs. I'm listening to the flaming lips "ego tripping at the gates of Hell" right now and the high percussion part is drilling my head.

I guess I'm just used to dark cans/iems. If the PFE has more treble energy then this it's a big no no for me. I'm going to try some other tips to settle these down some, any suggestions? I'm using stock silicon single flange.

I don't doubt the long burn in period now, my hd595 sounds veiled compared to these, and I always thought they had extended trebles. I'm also getting the annoying sssss sounds on the vocals (flaming lips). Oh this is straight out of the ipod touch 2g, 320 kbs.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #2,487 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone like HPA is trying to get an professional reviewlike comparison and has a large collection of all kind of phones, so his approach is burning-in for 250 to get the best impression of the IEM's.
but if you are an ordinairy mortal like me and bought them to use as your main IEM, 20 hours burning-in is enough to get rid of the treble harsness and midbass hump.
After that, use them for what they were made and bought, enjoy the music and forget about further burning-in, it will happen automatically.

Some people have burned in for 20 hours (or not at all) and have been happy. IMO the sound changes through somewhere around 250 hours, so when people who own other high end IEMs compare the 2, some are not happy with the IE8. In that case, they should try fit and burn in.

If someone has other quality IEMs they can listen to, then just leaving it to burn in isn't the end of the world. The PFE for about 1/2 the cost sounded better to me until somewhere between 150 and 170 hours.

Just like everything else, it depends upon your personal preference and your situation.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #2,488 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, seems like I'm one of the very few lucky ones that find the IE8 to be a perfect fit; with the stock, supplied foam tips.

Actually, you just think they're fitting perfectly ....
tongue.gif

Not to worry... if they fit great, good for you.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2,489 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'm just used to dark cans/iems. If the PFE has more treble energy then this it's a big no no for me. I'm going to try some other tips to settle these down some, any suggestions? I'm using stock silicon single flange.

T-400s suppressed the treble for me, but also took away some of the clarity. But if you need less treble, they should definitely work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you just think they're fitting perfectly ....
tongue.gif

Not to worry... if they fit great, good for you.

LOL, exactly!

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2,490 of 8,119
I've had these for a few days. 30+ hours of burn in, bass is more controlled, highs are less harsh. My preference for IEMs is now IE8 > SE530 > Westone 3. I prefer the SE530 over the Westone 3 just for midrange.

These are a fantastic buy at ~$250. Highly recommended. Build quality is superb, comfort is a-ok, isolation is less than shure or westone, but still good, silibance is less of an issue than with the westone 3 (although they depend largely on tips/fit).

Using laptop -> pico/dac -> iem, Iphone -> pico amp -> iem, iphone HP out. Headphone out is very good. Using the LOD -> pico amp provides a more balanced presentation, so you get more detail and imaging. Moving up to the pico/dac is a similar improvment. The improvements are minor (~10%) and don't really affect enjoyment (depends on person), but rather appreciation. I don't use IEMs for critical listening, so that's why it's not a big deal for me.

They sound similar to the Westone 3, in the sense that they are both dark, warm, full sounding, and a bit laid back. I'll give points to the IE8 because it's more controlled (the bass is also ample, but more articulate, and most importantly, doesn't get in the way of the music) and the imaging is a bit clearer (brighter, perhaps?). I also prefer vocals on the IE8.

The main flaw with the Westone UM2 / 3 is that there's a lower midrange gap/bleed that makes some vocals sound murky. If you know who Akino Arai is, you should know what I'm talking about. It affects singers who sound like her. It's very apparent on the UM2, less so on the 3s

I actually prefer to listen to the IE8 over the ESW10, even at the loss of some imaging and detail because it sounds fuller. Once I add a tube amp to the mix, I'd take the ESW10. The IE8 are still IEMs, so they exhibit the flaws/limitations of one, but they are the least IEM sounding IEMs I've heard. The flaws/limitations for IEMs in general is that they have smaller sound stage and a lower level of detailing than what you'd find in full sized headphones.

There are no IEM as far as I know that will sound decent with a gaming handheld, PSP/DS. That bothers me a bit, but I have the ESW10 in the mean time, which are more forgiving when it comes to low level audio recordings. I like to rest my head on a pillow sometimes while reading/gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back