Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #2,446 of 8,119
Hey Larry, it starts to get expensive once the cats start putting in headphone requests
atsmile.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2,447 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Larry, it starts to get expensive once the cats start putting in headphone requests
atsmile.gif

That must be where Larry's surplus cans go after both his daughter and son turn them down
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #2,448 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ agreed.

My IE8's are only at 20 hours, but bumping the bass by one notch results in a discernible change in the bottom end (source: apple lossless files via 3g iphone.)

Alright, so we're doing something wrong.... But what?

I've tried all the tips, and I get a good fit with pretty much all of them. I've tried different insertion depths, and I just can't get it to sound really good. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2,449 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've tried all the tips, and I get a good fit with pretty much all of them. I've tried different insertion depths, and I just can't get it to sound really good. It doesn't make sense to me.

moseboy - can you stand to leave them alone till they reach 250 hours?
Maybe when you go back to them after full burn-in, you might find they sound very different.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #2,450 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The silicone tips all seem pretty comfortable to me as well, but my experience of the sound seems to be best with the default single flanges, at least for the time being.

Are you having the same issue with the bass adjustment not having any effect at all, or is that just toughnut? It seems like based on that description, there either has to be a severe fit issue or a straight-up defect in the bass port/screw on his buds.

As far as sounding really good...at this point, the trebles do seem recessed to me in comparison to my 7m's, and I'm crossing my fingers that they will blossom with burn in. The detail and imaging are clearly better than the 7m's - and the bass is remarkably resonant yet controlled. Example - there's this catchy Ingrid Michaelson track called "You and I" that I loved live, but it has been killing me when listening at home due to recorded stomping on the stage, a bass beat during the final chorus. My 7m's and even my 880's (desktop rig) fail miserably at reproducing this bass beat...you'd have to make a lucky guess to even identify it as stomping. But the IE8's actually deliver it
smily_headphones1.gif

While not without their flaws, I have great hope that I am really going to love these in the long run. But preferences surely play into this - I know I prefer dynamics to BA's. If you prefer the latter, these unfortunately may not live up to what you want...as no amount of burn in is going to give the IE8's that articulate BA sound, just like no amount of burn in or amping is likely to give a pair of BA's truly resonant bass with lengthy sustain and decay.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #2,452 of 8,119
Question on the fit issue. I have the IE8s in now with Comply T400s, and they are inserted fairly deep, much like most IEMs (not the Etys), in fact about the same as my PFEs and W3s. They sound fine, no issues. What's up with the "don't insert them too deep" warning? I doubt they would go any farther in, but pulling them out even a little, at least with foamies, breaks the excellent seal I have. Does that insertion warning (not too far in) really only apple to OEM silicone or stock foamies (which are shorter than the T400s)?

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2,453 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question on the fit issue. I have the IE8s in now with Comply T400s, and they are inserted fairly deep, much like most IEMs (not the Etys), in fact about the same as my PFEs and W3s. They sound fine, no issues. What's up with the "don't insert them too deep" warning? I doubt they would go any farther in, but pulling them out even a little, at least with foamies, breaks the excellent seal I have. Does that insertion warning (not too far in) really only apple to OEM silicone or stock foamies (which are shorter than the T400s)?

I think because the get darker and bassier when pushed in too far?

Anyway, I will be doing my once/24 hr listening soon tonight.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #2,454 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I found the bass overwhelming with the Comply's inserted in all the way. Maybe it's due to different ear shapes? Have you compared the sound signature of the Comply's to the stock foam tips recently? What's the difference that you hear, if any?

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #2,455 of 8,119
I insert my IE8's in as far as the vortex...then a slight pull out for the perfect adjustment.

Lovin the sound!

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #2,457 of 8,119
Oddly, I could not scrunch the large stock foamies enough to get a good seal. I will try again, or try the smalls. I do like those cheap biflanges mark suggested, but they are pretty large. Not bad. I am gonna try them again too. The IE8s do seem a little recessed in in the mids/highs still (with the Complys), but I accounted for that due to the early burn in stage.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2,459 of 8,119
Double Grey Flange...also known as The Barrels

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #2,460 of 8,119
I hear little to no change in the sound, so I turned up the volume on my pink noise....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back