Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #1,366 of 8,119
Hmm I see, you don't find the IE8's "heavy" when you wear them upside down? ie. without wrapping over your ear? Whenever the cable slipped off my ear for the UM1 it felt like it was going to pop out.

NCIX says: Taking Orders for this Product
This product is available but currently we do not have stock - order it today and we will ship when it's available.

So yeah, I guess it has to be special ordered... I'll expect it at the end of the month!

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #1,367 of 8,119
Well. imh, IEMs should be insert into the canal at a depth and they wont fall out when you're moving around. In some case running.
otherwise, seal and isolation is not fully achieved.

Is NCIX an authorized dealer?
I see Canada Computers (local store) have one IE6 and IE7 of each and sold out of IE8 at 349CDN. they are authorized.

Otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #1,368 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I checked what are test tones, sorry for the stupid question of before!
biggrin.gif

Where can I find some long track of test tones?

I downloaded the NCH Tone Generator trial and created wave files of various tones, waves, and pink noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really think a burn-in is a must?

Yes, yes, and yes
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I also wanted to add, I plan to use my existing shure triflanges (modded to biflanges and shorter stem) on the IE8's... would this be OK?

Depends if they are for a BA or dynamic. My Shure olives won't fit on the IE8, and I bought some triple flanges, and I can stretch them on, but they sound horrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting fit issues, but I can get around that. But I really don't see what you guys are talking about night and day differences between preburn and post burn. As of right now I'm rather satisfied with the sound just a few hours out of the box. If it gets better than this I'll have an eargasm but honestly, I was expecting crap when I got these out of the box based on what people have been saying. Anyway good stuff, I wanna see Shure and Westone move over to dynamic. These are just amazing.

To me, compared to the PFE and even the NE-7 they sounded bad. It depends on what you are moving from. But also, the first listen with no burn in time, they truly sounded 100 times worse than after 30 minutes. And after 10-20 hours the soundstage opened up dramatically for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the burn-in period varies from person to person since I liked mine straight out of the box. After a few hours, they 'settled' in and I haven't noticed any major changes since then. I have no idea how many hours I have on them, but it must be well over a hundred. All I know is they sound as good to me now as they did after the first 10 hours, so burn-in time isn't fixed for everyone.

TrustedReviews
weren't too impressed with them out of the box, but soon changed their minds after the 20-hour mark, so to be on the safe side, don't judge them till you have at least that much time on them.

I agree, depends on what headphones you are listening to, your source, the song, casual or critical listening, initial fit, etc. I believe I noticed big differences because of the constant comparison listening including A/Bing with the Phonaks.

And I love your this quote from you "Okay, well I reckon I have around 100 hours on them now (minimum), and I can't really say I've noticed a lot of change from the first 10 hours - but I know that I like them more and more each time I listen to them. They're outrageously good!!!

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #1,369 of 8,119
[size=xx-small][size=small][size=x-large][size=xx-large][size=large]''Damn your comments got me worried..and I've just traded my w3s for the ie8''[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]Don't worry Bossnass15 you won't be dissappointed, just don't expect them to sound good out of the box!

I've got W3's also and they are superb but they not seen the light of day since the IE8's arrived.

BTW I think the burn in period depends on the person. I listened & was initially dissapointed, left them overnight cooking and they've been getting better every day.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #1,370 of 8,119

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #1,372 of 8,119
SennheiserIE8headfi.jpg

Wow I can't believe how light they are. For a driver head that big the IE 8 are much lighter than my CX 95 and Klipsch Custom. The cable is also noticeably lighter. I almost thought I received a fake toy until I compared the weight with the specs on Sennheiser's website. And for once they provided a decent length cable that isn't too long or too short.

I don't seem to be experiencing the fit problems that some here are. Maybe I am just lucky. Remember I am one of the few who has no problem with Klipsch Custom + stock tips. The medium single flange silicon tips do not go in as deep as my CX 95 or Klipsch Custom, but they are secure and don't fall out or move about. They feel more like the CX 300 to me. Very comfortable.

As for the sound, the bass is indeed harsh (minimum dial). They don't sound as bad out of the box as I've expected. I am going to burn them through gradually.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #1,375 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amps are people using their IE8 with? I've had fantastic results with my Corda XXS, and am now trying to gauge results with my Mini Audio MAD07 (iBasso D2), which is still being burnt in.

How is the inprovement when your iBasso? also, what is your source?
Thanks!

otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #1,376 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amps are people using their IE8 with? I've had fantastic results with my Corda XXS, and am now trying to gauge results with my Mini Audio MAD07 (iBasso D2), which is still being burnt in.

Mine are real sweet with my C&C XO with an LM6172 Opamp. I'm using a silver cable LOD an I am in awe!!!
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #1,377 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the inprovement when your iBasso? also, what is your source?
Thanks!

otto

So far, I'm not willing to give a final comment as the D2 is still too young, but bass and treble seem to have more definition so far.

Source is an iRiver H332 with a TWcu mini cable by Craig at Whiplash Audio.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #1,378 of 8,119
Expansive soundstage using an SR-71a.

Over a 100 hours burn in on the IE8s and the sound just keeps getting better.
L3000.gif

x2 for the silver LOD

Having stated earlier that I couldn't get a decent fit with any of the supplied tips I managed straight away with T-400s and used them for a day or so. I then went back to the original tips and found that I could successfully use several of them. I think it partly comes down to practice particularly with the angle that you insert. I still think I get the best seal with the Complys but am still undecided as to which tip I prefer.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,380 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah I just can't make my mind up.

I love the bass and the mids from the IE8. The comfort is an improvement over the TF10s, but I still can't wear them for as long as a cheap bud like the CX-300s.

My main criticism is that I find the IE8s quite harsh - it's a mixture of some sibilance and also of what sounds like a high-mid emphasis - it makes some punk and some rock passages sound very fatiguing. I do have to say that I couldn't stand listening to the W3s due to their sibilance, and the TF10 + Comply is the most easy-going listening I have ever come across (just a blissful lack of any sibilance whatsoever).

The IE8s do sound great for 75% of the music I listen to. It's just that last 25% that is annoying!

I haven't given up on them just yet. Problem now is that listening to the TF10s it sounds as if they are completely lacking in bass.

So I've been playing around all night.

I realise that the examples I have of the IE8 sounding "harsh" also sound quite harsh on my TF10s when I use the silicone tips. I've been using complys on my TF10s for the past few months so I've gotten used to the slight-muffling of the highs that those tips give.

Putting the complys on the IE8s has dulled a lot of the harshness/sibilance that I've heard so far - I've mostly been using the silicone sleeves. Will listen to them at work tomorrow and hopefully come up with some new opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back