Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #1,336 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sooz what are your foam tips and your "UE mediums?"

Ooops, sorry. The foam ones are the regular IE8 'foamies' - and the UE mediums are the Ultimate Ears single-flange silicon tips in medium.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #1,337 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have read, upwards of 100 to 200 hrs are needed for these to really blossom.

I burned mine in over the weekend, and am still burning them in, and have about 100 hours on them so far. The sound has definitely improved, even though I thought they were darn good before. IMO, the midrange has less grain then before, and the overall sound is a bit smoother from top to bottom. I think I'm going to burn them in another 100 hours.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #1,339 of 8,119
I heard the isolation of the IE8 is not very good, but does it also mean the IE8 leak a lot of sound to the outside?

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #1,340 of 8,119
Bah I just can't make my mind up.

I love the bass and the mids from the IE8. The comfort is an improvement over the TF10s, but I still can't wear them for as long as a cheap bud like the CX-300s.

My main criticism is that I find the IE8s quite harsh - it's a mixture of some sibilance and also of what sounds like a high-mid emphasis - it makes some punk and some rock passages sound very fatiguing. I do have to say that I couldn't stand listening to the W3s due to their sibilance, and the TF10 + Comply is the most easy-going listening I have ever come across (just a blissful lack of any sibilance whatsoever).

The IE8s do sound great for 75% of the music I listen to. It's just that last 25% that is annoying!

I haven't given up on them just yet. Problem now is that listening to the TF10s it sounds as if they are completely lacking in bass.

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #1,341 of 8,119
Quote:

My main criticism is that I find the IE8s quite harsh - it's a mixture of some sibilance and also of what sounds like a high-mid emphasis

I remember complaining about a slight harshness the first time I had them, specifically midrange related - but that was before I had them the second time and didn't wedge them in so far. Are you hearing this only with the hard foam tips, or with all of them? If I switch to the Senn or Sony medium silicon tips, I can detect a little harshness (which isn't helped by having to push them in so far), but not with the foam tips, which I can pull out slightly without any noticeable loss of volume or sound quality.

I get the UE tips in the morning, so I'll see if those are on a par with the foams. By the way, when you said they weren't as comfortable as the CX300 for longer listening periods, is it because they're causing pressure somewhere on your ears? Or is it just how they feel in general? I remember I was in actual pain with my first pair pressing on my inner ear, but now they just melt away completely - and all because they're not jammed in so far. Does the discomfort worsen or lessen depending on what tips you use?

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #1,342 of 8,119
Try play around with the fitting: normal or upside down> tips > insert depth> insert angle.

Otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #1,343 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try play around with the fitting: normal or upside down> tips > insert depth> insert angle.

Otto

agreed. i'm surprised how important the angle is on these. not the case as much with the sleeks and phonak's i have.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #1,344 of 8,119
Quote:

Bah I just can't make my mind up.

I love the bass and the mids from the IE8. The comfort is an improvement over the TF10s, but I still can't wear them for as long as a cheap bud like the CX-300s.

My main criticism is that I find the IE8s quite harsh - it's a mixture of some sibilance and also of what sounds like a high-mid emphasis - it makes some punk and some rock passages sound very fatiguing. I do have to say that I couldn't stand listening to the W3s due to their sibilance, and the TF10 + Comply is the most easy-going listening I have ever come across (just a blissful lack of any sibilance whatsoever).

The IE8s do sound great for 75% of the music I listen to. It's just that last 25% that is annoying!

I haven't given up on them just yet. Problem now is that listening to the TF10s it sounds as if they are completely lacking in bass.

Damn your comments got me worried..and I've just traded my w3s for the ie8..
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,345 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

With both Comply's and the included hard foam tips I haven't had a hint of excessive sibilance so far. It seems every time I listen they get better.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #1,346 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the isolation of the IE8 is not very good, but does it also mean the IE8 leak a lot of sound to the outside?

I actually just got my IE8 today, surprisingly I never had the Isolation issue, it seals pretty good, around 90% of the seal I get from W3... even better than Image x10 IMO.

My only issue is the sound, its crappy at the moment...I am going to leave it on for 3 days and see how it changes... Basically the bass is overwhelming even on the lowest setting, very inaccurate bass and blurry...sound is laid back, especially vocal and there is a roll off on treble just like the SE530 but worse...

Anyway, maybe its not right to comment at this stage since many have talked about the burn in issue...

but thats just my first impression...not impressed...

On the plus side, I like the Senn packaging much better than the westone 3, metal sophisticated box and luxury looking. However, I was actually expecting a 1/8"-1/4" adaptor...seems its not included, there is also no volume control like the one Westone came with...

Overall, not impressed with the sound but everything else... will comment later after 3 days ^ ^

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #1,348 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

My IE8 sounded pretty bad and fatiguing because of the mid-bass hump that goes away after about 150 to 200 hours of burn in. I have never had any sibilance issues with the IE8s unless it was present on the original, and then it was just a little.

What is described sounds like the IE8 before the 100 hours mark of burn in, but they keep getting better until 250+ hours (I continually burn mine in).

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #1,349 of 8,119
@average joe:
what method to do burn-in with?

Cause I usually listen to them. I let them play music for 10hours or so.

otto

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #1,350 of 8,119
And for more info on the stages of burn in, I have it in the IE8 vs. PFE comparison thread. Read the IE8 – Initial Impressions section and the Comparison Notes sections for the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back