Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #1,231 of 8,119
I must say that I am very impressed by the IE8 now that i have had them for some months.

They really do sound excellent, kind of like a smaller version of the HD650. The isolation is also not too bad: Running around in Hong Kong at the moment, where the streets are extremely noisy due to the number of buses and cars running around, I could still keep the volume on my iBasso D2 Boa + iRiver H332 rig relatively low.

The vocals have really opened up after so many hours of burn in (I've lost count of how many hours), and the bass is now very richly textured and full-bodied, which is how I like it. The bass knob adjustment thing is completely unnecessary IMHO, as turning it up just bloats the bottom end and ruins the lovely vocals.

Chatting to Mingo (HK head-fiers will know who I'm talking about), we compared the Westone 3 and IE8, and both of us prefer the IE8. Compared to the W3, I found the IE8 much more to my liking. It wasn't "thin" in the treble like the W3 was to me in some jazz music, and again the bass was just a tad richer though the difference isn't that big. I guess maybe I needed more time with the W3 (I didn't get enough time to compare with the TF10pro), but I came out with the question of "Why don't more manufacturer's use dynamic drivers?"

Amping them also produced some interesting results. Hooking it up to a iBasso D2, the sound became a bit "cleaner" and improved the listening experience with orchestral music. Hooking it up to a T4 is also producing some good results so far.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #1,232 of 8,119
For the ones who have experience adjusting the bass...

How sensitive is the bass knob to adjustment? ie. can you tell a difference with the increase of just a single increment? Or two? Three?

I can't seem to find much of a difference even going from the first setting to the fifth...

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #1,233 of 8,119
Yeah same here, I'm not hearing much of a big difference going from the lowest bass setting to the max.. but i do notice a slight increase in bass. This is with 100+ hours of burn in.

It was more sensitive with less hours of burn in though.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #1,235 of 8,119
I am convinced one side is pushing out more bass than the other, and it is REALLY pissing me off. I don't even know what these things truly sound like because I keep concentrating on the bass

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #1,236 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who are "wearing them straight down," are you also swapping the left and right pieces (TF10 flip-flop style)?

That's the only way to wear them 'straight down', they don't fit in my ears on the correct side.

Jajo, why not adjust the bass on the 'bass light' side?

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #1,237 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by btnh47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah same here, I'm not hearing much of a big difference going from the lowest bass setting to the max.. but i do notice a slight increase in bass. This is with 100+ hours of burn in.

It was more sensitive with less hours of burn in though.

I have a little over 100 hours of burn in, and I just played with the bass adjustment and I didn't hear a big difference when moving the knob in ear, but I set it half way and there was too much bass for me.

I now have them one notch up from the lowest setting and there is a noticeable increase in the bass.

What tips are you using? I am using T-400s.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #1,238 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex_A /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the only way to wear them 'straight down', they don't fit in my ears on the correct side.

Jajo, why not adjust the bass on the 'bass light' side?

Both knobs are at minimal setting

I wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me. Maybe the bass is the same?

Whatever it is, I'm getting irritated

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #1,239 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that I am very impressed by the IE8 now that i have had them for some months.

They really do sound excellent, kind of like a smaller version of the HD650. The isolation is also not too bad: Running around in Hong Kong at the moment, where the streets are extremely noisy due to the number of buses and cars running around, I could still keep the volume on my iBasso D2 Boa + iRiver H332 rig relatively low.

The vocals have really opened up after so many hours of burn in (I've lost count of how many hours), and the bass is now very richly textured and full-bodied, which is how I like it. The bass knob adjustment thing is completely unnecessary IMHO, as turning it up just bloats the bottom end and ruins the lovely vocals.

Chatting to Mingo (HK head-fiers will know who I'm talking about), we compared the Westone 3 and IE8, and both of us prefer the IE8. Compared to the W3, I found the IE8 much more to my liking. It wasn't "thin" in the treble like the W3 was to me in some jazz music, and again the bass was just a tad richer though the difference isn't that big. I guess maybe I needed more time with the W3 (I didn't get enough time to compare with the TF10pro), but I came out with the question of "Why don't more manufacturer's use dynamic drivers?"

Amping them also produced some interesting results. Hooking it up to a iBasso D2, the sound became a bit "cleaner" and improved the listening experience with orchestral music. Hooking it up to a T4 is also producing some good results so far.

Thanks for this, further admission that I am doing the right thing. Will order in one week. I know you had little time with the W3 although how do you compare the isolation between the two?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #1,240 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for this, further admission that I am doing the right thing. Will order in one week. I know you had little time with the W3 although how do you compare the isolation between the two?

For me the W3 has superb isolation compared to the IE8.
Aswell as fit and comfort.
IE8 Did not feel at home in my ears.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #1,241 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who are "wearing them straight down," are you also swapping the left and right pieces (TF10 flip-flop style)?

I'm wearing mine straight down without swapping the L/R over, I have tried it, but it obv is only for the pureists.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #1,242 of 8,119
I really like the sound of these IEMs but the fit is really getting me down.

Over my ear is next to useless as the design just doesn't allow it to get anywhere near a fit. Hanging them straight down, 'can', occasionally give an aexcellent fit and allow these things to really shine. But the tube/stork on them is just too thick for my ear canal, and when I do occasionally get a good seal, it feels like these are TF10's poking right out of my ears or something.

The only way forward I can see is getting UM56's modified for them and have the poking about 3ft out of my ears, but getting an excellent seal.

Really like these IEMs but I'm really disappointed in their EARgonomics.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #1,243 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the sound of these IEMs but the fit is really getting me down.

Over my ear is next to useless as the design just doesn't allow it to get anywhere near a fit. Hanging them straight down, 'can', occasionally give an aexcellent fit and allow these things to really shine. But the tube/stork on them is just too thick for my ear canal, and when I do occasionally get a good seal, it feels like these are TF10's poking right out of my ears or something.

The only way forward I can see is getting UM56's modified for them and have the poking about 3ft out of my ears, but getting an excellent seal.

Really like these IEMs but I'm really disappointed in their EARgonomics.

Same here. That's why I just traded them for Westone 3s. I really hope the Westones will be close enough in SQ.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #1,245 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys i think i've decided to get these over the super.fi.5 pros and the um2s, HOWEVER, would like to know wheres the best place to get them (best price of course) and hopefully they do international shipping.. having a tough time here... hopefully some of you gurus can help me out..

cheers

I just did a quick search on this thread and seems that minidisc.com.au might be the best place to get a good deal
tongue.gif
. AUD379.

Anyone brought from this site before? Are they covered by international warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back