Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 8,119
Duncan: What are all the IEMs you've owned / thoroughly auditioned? And now where do these IE8s rank amongst them?

I also wish someone would get the IE7s and take them for a spin as well.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #33 of 8,119
schneller don't believe it.
Cx-500 which is the same as cx-400(well it's claimed by some to sound the same), has unbelievably bad sound-separation and sound-stage.
That totally contradicts what Duncan had said here whereby its sound-stage is bigger than both se530 and tf.10. So you can judge the reliability of that source.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #35 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just ordered the IE 7 from Amazon UK, so they'll be here tomorrow
smile_phones.gif

As for that lone review on Amazon about the IE 8 not being much better than the CX500... that's plain scary. I bought the CX500 for a friend months ago, thinking they'd be a good upgrade from his CX300s, and he hated the CX500s. I didn't like them either, I thought they were cold and lifeless, not what I was expecting at all. In the end I sold them and he took my Denon C551's in their place...

So I'm hoping that the IE 7 doesn't have that same brightness. I'd toyed with the idea of getting the IE 8, except they would have cost £60 ($120) more, and I didn't think the tunable bass port was worth the extra money. I assume the IE 7 should have plenty of bass already. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: I really hate waiting. I don't even like typing the word
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #36 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the IE 7 from Amazon UK, so they'll be here tomorrow
smile_phones.gif

As for that lone review on Amazon about the IE 8 not being much better than the CX500... that's plain scary. I bought the CX500 for a friend months ago, thinking they'd be a good upgrade from his CX300s, and he hated the CX500s. I didn't like them either, I thought they were cold and lifeless, not what I was expecting at all. In the end I sold them and he took my Denon C551's in their place...

So I'm hoping that the IE 7 doesn't have that same brightness. I'd toyed with the idea of getting the IE 8, except they would have cost £60 ($120) more, and I didn't think the tunable bass port was worth the extra money. I assume the IE 7 should have plenty of bass already. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: I really hate waiting. I don't even like typing the word
frown.gif

I am looking forward to your SA6/Shure SE310/Klipsch Image/TF10 vs. IE7 comparison...

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 8,119
Quote:

Funny how the lone review at Amazon rates them barely ahead of the CX500.

The unmeasurable effects of sticker shock/buyer's remorse, perhaps?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #38 of 8,119
im looking to replace my TF 10, im a bit sick of the fit, and im considering these, if these are the perfect banalce point between the SE530 and the TF10, i might sell my TF10 and pick these up,

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #41 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. I didn't like them either, I thought they were cold and lifeless, not what I was expecting at all. In the end I sold them and he took my Denon C551's in their place...

frown.gif

Are you sure those cx-500's you had weren't knockoff's?

Cold and lifeless is not what I'd use to describe the cx 400 / cx 500 models. I own the cx-300's and cx-400's and I'd say the cx-400's have more clarity over the cx-300's, but with the same overpowering bass. Cold and lifeless, not with that bass which is why I ask if both you and your friend received knockoffs?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #43 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it's fast what does it do?
Better instrument separation?

I read on that glossary before but i don't quite get its meaning.

For me, my reference to 'fast' is that the sound doesn't overhang / reverberate - a drum hit is a drum hit, not slapping a trampoline or something... same with piano notes, they don't extend further than they should - that is my definition (which for all I know may be wrong compared to general concensus lol) Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sound really promising. now waiting for the price to drop below usd250 at amazon and i will get one
smily_headphones1.gif

Duncan, mind taking a side photos while wearing it? curious to see how it fit cuz of rectangular design.

Ugh, I'm not a one for photos, but I can tell you that the circular base fits into your ear really comfortably (assuming my ears are 'average' sized)... They do not look weird
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Duncan: What are all the IEMs you've owned / thoroughly auditioned? And now where do these IE8s rank amongst them?

I have here, the Shure E4C, E5C and E500, UE TF10, Sony EX700... but have also had the ETY ER4P, and UE 5 Pro... The IE8, as mentioned before, to my ears, tonally sit straight inbetween the E500 and TF10, although to be fair, following on from one of my previous posts, I do still find the IE8s a little bassy... which sounds awesome for most genres, but can be a little overbearing with simpler music types (although, I am still very much in the burn-in phase presently, so this opinion could well still change) Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does the IE8 have the famous/infamous Senn veil?

No, just a strong bass (but, as mentioned just above, we still need more burn in time to say if this is a definite trait...) Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im looking to replace my TF 10, im a bit sick of the fit, and im considering these, if these are the perfect banalce point between the SE530 and the TF10, i might sell my TF10 and pick these up,

The fit of the IE8 is light years ahead of that of the TF10... The bass, whilst mentioned above, is quite strong, it is not really any more strident than that of the TF10s, but is much more tuneful
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by neezee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so these seem like the happy medium to high-end non-custom IEMS?

Triple.Fi - Bright
IE 8 - bright/dark
SE530 - Dark

I could concur with this analogy
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about Detail, soundstage and texture ?

Detail is VERY high.. the most detail of any of the IEMs that I have (as listed above), soundstage as well, whilst not as wide as a full sized pair of 'phones, is wide, and deep, and the air that can surround instruments / vocals is still something that impresses me deeply with these IEMs... Texture, I'm still waiting on more burn-in before I answer this one...

I hope this update helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #44 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure those cx-500's you had weren't knockoff's?

Cold and lifeless is not what I'd use to describe the cx 400 / cx 500 models.
I own the cx-300's and cx-400's and I'd say the cx-400's have more clarity over the cx-300's, but with the same overpowering bass. Cold and lifeless, not with that bass which is why I ask if both you and your friend received knockoffs?

I guess anything is possible. But have you heard them? You said you have the CX300 and CX400, so I'm not sure if you heard the CX500s.

Anyway, I did read a few user reviews saying the same kind of things about the brightness and lack of fullness compared with the CX300s. The first thing that struck me when I heard them was that they were a lot more detailed than the CX300s, but much harsher. I assumed they'd have the same sound signature, but with improved clarity through the frequencies, so I wasn't prepared for what I heard
biggrin.gif

Anyway, that's history now. In about 12 hours, I'll have the IE 7 to try out
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 8,119
soozieq: did you get my PMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back