Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #2,147 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am with you. I got two quick emails, one saying they were going to call me with a pin number to "verify" my purchase. No call. No call today either. The second email has a number of check boxes, and it's all checked, down to "shipping," which is unchecked. It says payment is verified, but my credit card has not been charged yet. Confusing, especially all the price shifting. What's up with that? Why not just make it the price and keep it the price? I don't understand why it's $222 and then $278. FYI, my total charge is $241 with shipping ($222 for the phones, $13 for shipping, and $6 and change for shipping insurance). So you are right, you should get the lower price.

Good news, Brendon is giving me a credit for the correct price , which I guess is supposed to be 221.31. He said they're on sale this week. Still no word on when mine will ship, I ordered Tuesday and they took the money out of my account yesterday. He said a bunch of people were mad at the price changing and he said he doesn't know what's going on. Seems like a nice guy though, I think same guy headphone addict talked to.

I purchased this second pair for my son, he's going to flip at the sound. He thinks the stock sony in-ears and skull candy sound awesome. Honestly I don't think these lack detail at all, in fact they have more than my se530 did. If the W3 have more, that might be too much for me to enjoy the music. Of course they sound different then when I first got them, id say I have maybe 100 hrs on them.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #2,149 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried to core an olive, but failed in doing so :/ Should I use one of those pocket knifes or something? I heard that the T400's make the music a bit muddy or something :/

I used an x-acto knife to partially cut the foam off, then ripped the rest of the way (carefully). And I never knew it because none of the stock tips fit me so I had to use a T-400 from the start, but compared to silicon, it does reduce the treble quantity and slightly the treble detail.

Here are my current tips
NewTips.jpg

The standard large Sony silicon tips (not the EX700 ones) with cored T-400s under them. Just by themselves, the Sony tips don't give me a great seal, but much better than the stock tips, as the Sony's extend further out on the nozzle. I bought 2 different T-400 packs and they are different sizes, but I have different ear opening sizes, so I used one of each in the appropriate ear. I had to adjust where they sit on the nozzle, as you can see, one is closer to the tip than the other. Anyways, this setup is AMAZING for me, great iso, great comfort, and it brings the treble just where I want it. Oh, and the bass impact has improved also!

Since you use small tips, if you want to try something like this (you can also use olives), you may need to trim the foam down to size.

There was also a discussion about these tips (look under more items you might like) isolating quite well.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #2,150 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice dad. And I wondered about the detail thing, since Average_Joe said his approached the PFEs on the detail front (both unamped). Sounds like a winner, and I forgot you already had them.

Actually I was using the Icon Mobile via USB as well as my Fuze to compare them.
wink.gif
The IM and Fuze have about the same amount of detail, but the Fuze has better bass, less treble, and a good amount less soundstage than the IM.

In the detail department, I could not hear anything with the PFEs I couldn't hear with the IE8s, but there was a little more instrument separation with the PFEs (with the grey filters). I actually think there was more bass detail with the IE8, but maybe just because the bass was louder respective to the rest of the spectrum, therefore having the detail more in your face. When I did up the bass with the PFE and grey filters, the bass sounded somewhat distorted at louder volumes. Might have been my EQ or sources though.

And IMO, the PFEs with the black filters a good amount less treble detail than the IE8.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #2,151 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try tweezers or a screwdriver, the idea is not to cut but to separate the olive from the core by scraping the glue away, the glue is the weak link on those things

Woo! Got two off!
biggrin.gif
I used a small screwdriver to scrape the glue, then one of those toe nail clippers to pull it out :

I'll experiment with these, they are a little dirty what should I use to clean them?

Edit: There's something odd about them, they seem to be more porous than the included foamies that come with the IE8. I might try that foam/silicon mod, get the both of best worlds. However, isolation is good.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #2,152 of 8,119
Ok, I've experimented with the tips and their different characteristics.

Silicon: Good, more sharper treble imo, but the bass isn't as striking.
Dual flange silicon: More or less the same as the normal silicon, but the problem is that these make my ears itch :/
Small foam: More bass impact, and more natural mids/treble.

Shure Olives: For some reason, mine are quite wet and porous, and I remember them as quite hard... At the moment, they sound slightly muddy and mids/treble are more laid back.

Comfort wise: I would say the thumbs up to the small foams. I prefer foam tips over silicon tips, and I find that I am now more used to the smaller ones rather than the relatively big Shure Olives.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2,153 of 8,119
Quote:

Ok, I've experimented with the tips and their different characteristics.

Silicon: Good, more sharper treble imo, but the bass isn't as striking.
Dual flange silicon: More or less the same as the normal silicon, but the problem is that these make my ears itch :/
Small foam: More bass impact, and more natural mids/treble.

Shure Olives: For some reason, mine are quite wet and porous, and I remember them as quite hard... At the moment, they sound slightly muddy and mids/treble are more laid back.

When I put foam under the silicon, I got the best of both (IMO), the treble with the bass! You gonna try it?

You can just push the foam on the nozzle and compress it, then put on the silicon, or put the foam on the silicon (by stretching the opening, which is what i did) first and then put the tip on.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2,154 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I put foam under the silicon, I got the best of both (IMO), the treble with the bass! You gonna try it?

You can just push the foam on the nozzle and compress it, then put on the silicon, or put the foam on the silicon (by stretching the opening, which is what i did) first and then put the tip on.

Might as well try it, the Shure olives suck to be honest :/ Are your foamies held onto the silicon by glue? If so, do you need it?

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #2,155 of 8,119
Quote:

Might as well try it, the Shure olives suck to be honest :/ Are your foamies held onto the silicon by glue? If so, do you need it?

I was thinking of using glue, but they stay exactly where I put them, so no need. Also, I did play around with their placement until I found the best comfort while maintaining a good seal.

Plus, the complys are softer, and with the silicon, I would guess they will last longer.

Oh, and can just stick them in, but they are more comfortable if I compress the foam before insertion.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2,157 of 8,119
Quote:

How would you recommend in trimming down the Shures? Do I have to cut them down in half or something?

You might want to start with not trimming them and putting them all the way back against the IE8 housing and seeing how that works. Once you trim, there is no going back
wink.gif
But since you are using the smalls, you may have to cut off the back part. I would recommend starting with 1/4th to 1/3rd and go from there.

So, if you do need to trim, do it a little at a time. Here is a pic of my setup with the olives.
CustomIE8Tips3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back