Sennheiser IE8 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #2,131 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I did pay extra for FedEx expedited, but I was thinking, okay it will ship in 24-48 hours (by Friday) and be here by middle of next week.

I ordered some (cancelled my AMP3- went in stock and out without mine being shipped even though I already paid) ) and ncixs tied again, I ordered them the same time and they were 278.00. I figured thats better than 450.00. But the link said 223.00 right after I ordered, I have tried to contact ncis with no success yet. I'm sure not paying 301.00 when everybody got them cheaper.

They charged my card this time and chase called me about the payment. I really don't like the shifting prices.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #2,132 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered some (cancelled my AMP3- went in stock and out without mine being shipped even though I already paid) ) and ncixs tied again, I ordered them the same time and they were 278.00. I figured thats better than 450.00. But the link said 223.00 right after I ordered, I have tried to contact ncis with no success yet. I'm sure not paying 301.00 when everybody got them cheaper.

They charged my card this time and chase called me about the payment. I really don't like the shifting prices.

I am with you. I got two quick emails, one saying they were going to call me with a pin number to "verify" my purchase. No call. No call today either. The second email has a number of check boxes, and it's all checked, down to "shipping," which is unchecked. It says payment is verified, but my credit card has not been charged yet. Confusing, especially all the price shifting. What's up with that? Why not just make it the price and keep it the price? I don't understand why it's $222 and then $278. FYI, my total charge is $241 with shipping ($222 for the phones, $13 for shipping, and $6 and change for shipping insurance). So you are right, you should get the lower price.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #2,133 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be interesting to know what you think of them, although there are so many fans here, I don't think a negative review is going to impact at all. It's all down to personal preference in the end
smile_phones.gif

Predicting a negative review, are we! And there have been some people that don't think they are are good as they were expecting from reading here. I guess they thought they would hear soundstage like they were at a live concert
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

tstarn06: After all your concerned posts here about 'fit issues', I wasn't expecting you to get them at all. Also, in a thread about soundstage, you seemed very surprised that anyone would choose that over resolution. In fact, you didn't seem to think it was 'fair' to choose soundstage (IE8) over resolution (W3), which makes your purchase even more puzzling
confused_face.gif
- I guess curiosity finally got the better of you!!!!

There have been many other threads hijacked with bickering, let's try to refrain from continuing that trend here.

And I believe he asked me the resolution vs. soundstage question, which I took as a reasonable question asked in a respectful way. And I would prefer a spacious presentation with a little less detail than vice versa. Nothing wrong with someone trying something, especially if there is the hype that is surrounding the IE8s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess it will be an interesting adventure, then. Average_Joe initially loved the PFE sound, which is mainly clarity and detail, and then he got some IE8s, burned them in, and sold his PFEs. I will not sell mine, because with the T4, they really deliver amazing detail and clarity (another level above no T4 in my view). But Joe found sonic happiness with a dynamic phone despite loving the PFE detail. So there is always room for more than one IEM signature sound in a collection, is my view. I also like the Turbines, and they are really nothing like the PFEs or W3s. I'd say if you are a one or two IEM person, that might be the case (favoring one sound signature over another).

Who knows? I may not like the IE8s at all, but it's hard to believe based on the raves on this thread. Same holds true for the PFEs, you might say. Some people who don't have them are interested in them because of the raves on the PFE threads, even if they already own the IE8s (and the two are very different phones, from what you and others say on the detail factor).

Yes, I can say I am content with my IEMs now that I have the IE8s, I don't feel compelled to try anything else such as the W3s or Turbines.

But I am curious to hear how the PFE sounds with an amp that is suited for it. Since I am pretty new to the Head-fi world, I am still learning/buying, and didn't have my sound card, which is a big step up from my Icon Mobile and 2 steps up from my Fuze (without LOD), when I had the PFEs.

But, since I have the IE8s, not a huge deal. I do trust what tstarn says about the combination.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #2,134 of 8,119
And it's not just me on the PFE/T4 combo, as GreatDane, dkft and, I think, HPAddict, all like the combo very much. The T4 just seems to be made for the PFEs with gray filters and Comply T130s. Sonic heaven to me, especially with any acoustic/vocal genres.

It will be interesting, but I will not even give an opinion on the IE8s until they are well over 100 hours burned-in, just to be as fair as possible. If fit is an issue, then that's entirely different kettle of fish.

I would love the "Turbines on steroids" (IE8) and the PFE/T4 to be in my collection, as well as the W3s, which have their own unique upside. But that will be it (he says, like a fool).

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #2,135 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been many other threads hijacked with bickering,
let's try to refrain from continuing that trend here.

Good advice, but it's posts like this that can start bickering. I simply expressed surprise that he would buy them after his recent comments about fit and soundstage. I would be surprised in exactly the same way if someone who really liked heavy bass chose the Etymotic ER4P, or if someone chose the Image X10 if they preferred a neutral sound. It should be possible to express surprise without being accused of bickering. I've posted regularly in this thread since almost the beginning, and have never been accused of bickering before. This is one of the nicest threads around, and has been for months. So yes, let's keep it that way!!!

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2,137 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good advice, but it's posts like this that can start bickering. I simply expressed surprise that he would buy them after his recent comments about fit and soundstage. I would be surprised in exactly the same way if someone who really liked heavy bass chose the Etymotic ER4P, or if someone chose the Image X10 if they preferred a neutral sound. It should be possible to express surprise without being accused of bickering. I've posted regularly in this thread since almost the beginning, and have never been accused of bickering before. This is one of the nicest threads around, and has been for months. So yes, let's keep it that way!!!

Agreed, let's keep it civil. Text on a message board doesn't convey the intended inflection, you have to use bold, caps, and italics to try to achieve it, and sometimes it fails. I was just interpreting as I know others here have and reacting to my interpretation. And how are my comments about your post any different than your comments about tstarn's commens/question about soundstage vs. resolution? I have read many threads where people have a "difference of opinion," and IMO it could have been avoided by simply not responding. I think if either one of us wants to continue this, PM would be best.

And since this is an IE8 thread, the IE8s are simply fantastic! And how would you describe the difference in resolution between the IE8 and W3

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #2,138 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a random thought, anyone have thier IE8 sitting on bass at max? the graphs that were floating about before looked horrific but they also showed it as being similar to what the 7 was outputting.

just made me wonder what the bass at full was like?

Good question. I tried it once and did not like the huge quantity of bass.

Tried it again just now. Skull shattering would be the right word here, at least that is how I would describe it. Definitely heavier (heavier than my CX 95 at least), but still tight and clean. It does not overwhelm the clarity of the mids at all. It isn't a setting I'll be comfortable with, but my partner will love it (she loves the CX 95 level of bass - which I read has the same frequency response as the IE 7).

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #2,140 of 8,119
I have to stop by my UPS Store mailbox today to pick up my IE8 that were delivered there 20 minutes ago. Don't expect any real impressions till they are burned in. I'm gonna hook them up to a 2gb Nano and run it on repeat with music 24/7 for 10-14 days...

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #2,141 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo! 250 hours+ on my IE8's and they are sounding so nice
smily_headphones1.gif

How much listening did you do through the burn in process? Can you post your thoughts at various hours? How do they sound now as far as bass/mid/treble balance, what tips are you using, and what is your current source?

Happy listening
L3000.gif

Quote:

I have to stop by my UPS Store mailbox today to pick up my IE8 that were delivered there 20 minutes ago. Don't expect any real impressions till they are burned in. I'm gonna hook them up to a 2gb Nano and run it on repeat with music 24/7 for 10-14 days...

Sweet, very interested in hearing what you think vs. the W3s, your customs, and your full sized (D2000s). Also, interested to see how they respond to various amps, including the D10 and T4.

Edit: can anyone give impressions of a Mini3 with the IE8s?

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2,142 of 8,119
Quote:

Cool! At least give us an out of the box impression.
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #2,143 of 8,119
Quote:

How much listening did you do through the burn in process? Can you post your thoughts at various hours? How do they sound now as far as bass/mid/treble balance, what tips are you using, and what is your current source?

Happy listening
L3000.gif

Out of 260 hours of burn in time, 30 of it was actually music. The rest was pink noise. I find that the IEM is detailed, natural and balanced. I think my ears think it's balanced... Mids are very natural and pleasing to listen to, and treble is pretty sharp. I haven't heard better so can't exactly compare it to anything. Comfort is very good, isolation could be better though :/ I could hear the bus's engine. Oh well, can't make everything perfect. I use the small foamies, and my current source is an iPod touch 1G. It's good, but I've heard better. Will be updating it though.
Anyway:

After...
10 hours: Soundstage opened up, bass was tamed a bit
50 hours: Treble came out a bit
140-160 hours: Detail became very good, soundstage widened up more and treble was still opening up.
200 hours: Better detail in treble
250 hours: Fully opened up treble I hope. I don't want anymore
tongue.gif

That was quite rough, but hell I love these :smile_phones
Out of the box I didn't like it. It sounded like a pair of <£100 IEM's, and didn't think anything was special. Now, it's just amazing.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #2,144 of 8,119
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of 260 hours of burn in time, 30 of it was actually music. The rest was pink noise. I find that the IEM is detailed, natural and balanced. I think my ears think it's balanced... Mids are very natural and pleasing to listen to, and treble is pretty sharp. I haven't heard better so can't exactly compare it to anything. Comfort is very good, isolation could be better though :/ I could hear the bus's engine. Oh well, can't make everything perfect. I use the small foamies, and my current source is an iPod touch 1G. It's good, but I've heard better. Will be updating it though.
Anyway:

After...
10 hours: Soundstage opened up, bass was tamed a bit
50 hours: Treble came out a bit
140-160 hours: Detail became very good, soundstage widened up more and treble was still opening up.
200 hours: Better detail in treble
250 hours: Fully opened up treble I hope. I don't want anymore
tongue.gif

That was quite rough, but hell I love these :smile_phones
Out of the box I didn't like it. It sounded like a pair of <£100 IEM's, and didn't think anything was special. Now, it's just amazing.

Sounds quite a bit like my experience, thanks for sharing. And out of the box I thought they sounded like $1 IEMs, seriously.

And for isolation, a couple of suggestions (don't know what you have tried, and am assuming the small foam that was included):
- try a T-400 (I think T-500s fit a little better), as they are bigger, but softer so they feel great and contour perfectly increasing the isolation IMO
- core an olive (the Shure kind!), which is bigger than the included foam, and put it on the nozzle directly (or you can also core a T-400 or T-500 and glue the olive foam to the T-X00 core)
- use a silicon tip with the foam under it. However that increased the treble quantity (and quality) for me, which I like

And as far as source, I am wondering if it would be better for me to upgrade my Fuze with another DAP, or just use LOD (which I have just ordered parts to make a cable) and a decent/good amp.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2,145 of 8,119
Quote:

Sounds quite a bit like my experience, thanks for sharing. And out of the box I thought they sounded like $1 IEMs, seriously.

And for isolation, a couple of suggestions (don't know what you have tried, and am assuming the small foam that was included):
- try a T-400 (I think T-500s fit a little better), as they are bigger, but softer so they feel great and contour perfectly increasing the isolation IMO
- core an olive (the Shure kind!), which is bigger than the included foam, and put it on the nozzle directly (or you can also core a T-400 or T-500 and glue the olive foam to the T-X00 core)
- use a silicon tip with the foam under it. However that increased the treble quantity (and quality) for me, which I like

And as far as source, I am wondering if it would be better for me to upgrade my Fuze with another DAP, or just use LOD (which I have just ordered parts to make a cable) and a decent/good amp.

I tried to core an olive, but failed in doing so :/ Should I use one of those pocket knifes or something? I heard that the T400's make the music a bit muddy or something :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back