Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #2,971 of 3,016
Well, it if you want complete balanced from source to ear, with the modi DAC, it won't be technically fully balanced, but you are still getting the benefit of the balanced output to your headphones. Whether that makes a difference to your ears, I guess you won't know until you try.
So I can go rca in from modi and balanced out to the headphones?

Or.... I get a Gumby and go straight balanced. Done.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #2,974 of 3,016
Does anybody know whether this amp can act as an rca out to active speakers? So you can essentially have volume controlled monitors, using the HDVD 800's potentiometer.
I've used the HDVD 800 as a DAC for speakers, and the output is fixed volume. So no, you can't use the knob on the HDVD 800 to control the volume of your speakers.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,976 of 3,016

Setting up my HDVD800 as "best" as I can :smile_phones:
Anyone does this ?

I can feel effect of a touch to a tube in my hp tube amp or known what 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect of some I have but I really cant feel if my brother shakes my hdvd800. You may have Golden ears

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,978 of 3,016

Quick snap, Mojo out of business.

j7cety.jpg

krAi3k

Sep 28, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2,980 of 3,016
Looks great. Let us know how it sounds!
Edit: you may want to start your own thread... I may be wrong but I haven't seen any impression threads on this yet.

Edit 2: where'd you get it from? Didnt even know it was on sale yet!

It sounds great, much better than the Mojo. I also tested HD650 vs HD800S both hooked to the HDV820 and there really was no contest, the soundstage is phenomenal, the bass is spot on. The HD650 had a disadvantage as for some reason it was a little bit quieter. Sennheiser also invited to listen in on the HE 1 but this will probably be early next year. I am hoping the current combo can hold its own to this comparison as well. I got the HDV 820 from the local dealer so I would guess they are available to a wider audience already.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #2,981 of 3,016
I've used the HDVD 800 as a DAC for speakers, and the output is fixed volume. So no, you can't use the knob on the HDVD 800 to control the volume of your speakers.

This has been fixed with the HDV820. The 3-pin XLR outputs on the back are volume controlled by the main volume knob. Only downside is that it is always active, so you need to switch off your active monitors when you want to listen to headphones. In addition there is no way to apply a general -10dB or something similar to the volume knob controls like it is on products like Benchmark DAC 2-3. That being said, I don´t mind having to switch off my monitors plus my main use for it is obviously headphones :)

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #2,982 of 3,016
Does anyone know of a way to lower the output impedance of the HDVD800 from its present 43 ohms? Ideally, this would be sort of a unity gain neutral balanced amp, a bit like the Schiit Wyrd does for USB, that does nothing more than receive balanced analog input from the HDVD800 output and put it out, free of coloration and gain, via its own low-impedance output.

One option might be a very low cost high quality balanced amp, e.g. a baby Schiit Mjolnir, but I don't know of any that doesn't appear to be overkill.

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2,983 of 3,016
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2,984 of 3,016
The Burson Cable + may fix up the impedance mixmath.
I trust them enough to believe what they say and that it's not just hocus pocus foo-foo like most cable claims.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/cable-plus-pro/
This is just like what I was looking for...thank you.

However, the write up shows the cable going from music source to DAC or amp, while I’m looking for something from amp to headphone. Maybe with some male-to-female adapter on its output, it might work for a headphone under the same principle.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #2,985 of 3,016
How does this amp performs with the Sennheisers IEMs (IE800´s) ?
I know this is high impedance amp, and will use it with high impedance HPs, but still curious about this match.
One can always use an atenuator or reduce gain if its too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back