1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by philw, Apr 13, 2012.
First

Back
188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197
199 200
Next

Last
  1. Sennheiser
    Officially, the HDV 820 is slated to release July, with more details to come. We were showcasing two of them at the Munich High End show, connected to a T+A Turntable (thanks guys!) spinning the ever famous Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" vinyl, and an Apple MacBook Pro via USB streaming TIDAL through the Audirvana player. With the new balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn outputs nicely volume matched to the 4-Pin Balanced XLR output, attendees were having fun swapping the HD 800S and HD800 with each other and remarked to us how great the synergy was between the gear. That was the design goal, but it was nice to hear it from the enthusiasts! Many people were also curious about the connection options around back, including the USB-B, Toslink Optical, coaxial, balanced and unbalanced inputs, and the balanced dual 3-pin for variable (volume adjustable) preamp output integration with your speaker system.

Some interesting tidbits: unlike most amplifiers, the HDV 820 was able to connect both balanced and unbalanced safely at the same time, also the amplifier uses a zero-negative-feedback, current amplification design, which makes a significant impact on headphone impedance response and goes a long way towards explaining why the resulting sound is so pure and engaging. "Dark Side Of The Moon" had a very "punchy" impact and believably realistic performance despite the trade show's ambient noise, the effect was like starring in a movie scene with "Time" or "Any Colour You Like" as the soundtrack overlaying everything going on.

The HDVD 800 will continue to be sold alongside the HDV 820. For those interested, here is the announcement page: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sennheiser-hdv-820-revealed-at-the-tokyo-headphone-show.845893/
    And our latest press kit: http://en-de.sennheiser.com/highend2017

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0039.JPG

:basketball::basketball_player:
    From Wedemark, with love! We look forward to rewarding your anticipation.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Sennheiser https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://en-us.sennheiser.com/
    YesThisIs likes this.
  2. daltonlanny
    Hi Sennheiser,
    Great to hear!
    Is the HDV 820 a noticeable sonic improvement over the HDVD 800?
    If so, in what all ways?
    Thanks!

3. YesThisIs
    100% excited waiting for this release (Allready made an email to my local retailer....)
    Just one question: Is there any plans for MQA support in the future for this product?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  4. Gamergtx260
    Maybe its old but I found no difference with the HDVD 800 and the Yggdrasil. Both were extremely resolving and transparent.

But I found a lot of differences with the HDVD 800 and the Marantz HD DAC1. The HD DAC1 is very laid-back, which I didn't quite like with the HD800 but I loved it with the HD650 and LCD XC. It seemed like I listened to music a lot more with the Marantz + 650/XC than with the HDVD 800 + HD800 combo.
    Unfortunately, I ended up returning the HDVD 800.

5. daltonlanny
    Deleted

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. iLoveMusic0822
    I have a HDVD800 with HD800S and recently I am interested about getting LCD3. Anyone has this setup can you please give me some of your precious opinion about it ? Really appreciate it.

7. iLoveMusic0822
    I have both and I believe that the sound stage is wider with the XLR which is totally worth it. I can definitely hear the difference with blind test.

8. FelixSG
    IMG_6734.JPG IMG_6735.JPG IMG_6748.JPG IMG_6750.JPG IMG_6752.JPG IMG_6762.JPG IMG_6812.JPG
    Setting up my HDVD800 as "best" as I can :smile_phones:
    Anyone does this ?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  9. YesThisIs
    Sorry to ask, but what is the point of that? Is it for resonance?

It looks pretty.... horrendous tbh.

10. LaCuffia
    That looks pretty strange....maybe he lives in an earthquake prone area and it prevents vibration? :dt880smile:

11. YesThisIs
    Yeah, i can imagine me drinking my wine and enjoying my music.... After 3 hours of that i would probably be clumsy and creating small domino-effect....

12. FelixSG
    It's some vibration control I read from this Mapleshade website. Sort of make sense and I tried.
    No regrets. Does magic to the music (to my ears)
    This vibration control doesn't seem to be popular and I feel that not mounting your equipments properly doesn't do justice to your investments.
    It's cost effective especially in America, I had to pay high freight costs. Even then, I felt it's worth it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  13. Army-Firedawg
    I'm getting the HDVD800 in about a week, my current DAC is the PS Audio Digital Link 3 w/ the Cullen Stage IV mod. My question is, has anyone by chance compared the DACS of the HDVD800 and the DL3 (w/ or w/o the mod)?

Also, how does the Oppo PM-1 sound through HDVD800? My two dream endgame headphones are the HD800 S (also arrivong on a week or so) and the Oppo PM-1. Juat curious of others opinions.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  14. Gib6717
    Not sure if this is the right place but I have a quick question about balanced outputs. I have the HD 800S (so I have a balanced cable) and was considering getting an HDVA 600 since it's on sale. I currently have a modi 2 dac which is connected via USB to my computer.

If I hooked up the modi to the 600, will that be a "true" balanced output or does the whole chain have to be balanced?

15. makan
    Well, it if you want complete balanced from source to ear, with the modi DAC, it won't be technically fully balanced, but you are still getting the benefit of the balanced output to your headphones. Whether that makes a difference to your ears, I guess you won't know until you try.

First

Back
188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197
199 200
Next

Last