Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier
Mar 19, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,536 of 3,016
  For the LCD headphones the Essence III amp sounds better. It sounds more linear, while the HDVD 800 creates peaks in the sound which obscure the deep bass. It makes the LCD headphones not sound like I expect them to based on their frequency response, while the Essence III does make them sound as they should.

One negative with the Essence III amp is that is sounds slightly less wide than the HDVD 800. 
I love the sound of the Essence III dac in combination with the HDVD 800 amp and the HD 800.

thx

two amps is too much for me because not rich today...hope next time...want to talk more but its to much for my brain to translate..... in a german review it sounds sometimes same  like yours but  with akg  812...  i have translate the text from this with google :

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] in the bass surpassed the essence III with the top handset akg 812 even the sennheiser as a comparative anchor relied HDVD 600 in punch and volume. who rock and pop preferably should appeal to this ability also find the soundstage was able to convince . in transparency and high frequency resolution asus but not came up to the Hanoverian whole blood. the German offered more tone and seemed much more open , more transparent than the challenger in the fine drawing things not quite approached who it warm and round like and hearty bass is , however, can live quite well with this vote. who the asus transformer gets used as there already offered more ..........[/color]

i think i hear with hdvd amp and buy the  next sennheiser headphone  when it comes ..nomax say end of this year :)

or you give me essence III  when not want..so you free for other new toys

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #2,537 of 3,016
news : ....  i have found a german review

the  hdvd 800 is also good for lcd 3  >>>  

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-26458710/Unbenannt.png.html

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-26465665/20130620_205747.jpg.html

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,539 of 3,016
  So... just how well does the HDVD800 pair with the HD800s?

Very well indeed!  Start reading through these 170 pages of posts and you will see that most agree that the HDVD 800 and HDVA 600 are an excellent match for the HD 800.  But, as always, you will have to listen for yourself to make the final decision.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #2,540 of 3,016
  So... just how well does the HDVD800 pair with the HD800s?

I have the HDVD800 with the HD800, along with a balanced cable rather than the single-ended one that normally comes with the HD800 (Sennheiser also sells a balanced cable for about $375, but mine is custom).

I have never observed any of the concerns that some have expressed for the HD800, with my combination:

1. Treble is smooth, balanced, and natural - no fatiguing shoutiness that causes some folks to perform a mod to their HD800s;
  2. Natural levels of bass, with definition so that you can easily tell pitch and timbre of the instrument.  No enhanced heavy bass, but also no bloated or muddy bass.

I am completely satisfied.

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,541 of 3,016
Finally! I got my Audiophilleo2/PurePower and a wirewood uv cable as someone just happened to have it for sale in Denmark at lower than half the price. A rare occurrence indeed.

I don't use the cable since i like the one i had already better(Supra usb cable). It also matches the Supra power cable, so there's that.

Let me tell you. You were completely right. It truly is the missing piece for the hdvd 800. It fills in so many gaps.

It's super detailed now. The resolution is simply incredible. It's more upfront and the bass has improved. Nothing sounds too tame anymore. The music has more soul is a good way to put it. All this without being harsh or in any way disruptive. It's very nicely driven and under smooth control from start to finish.

Thanks for recommending me this little gem. I promised myself this would be the last addition to my setup and it has been. I can mark the project as finished and enjoy the result in all it's glory. :)

I highly recommend the stuff from Audiophilleo and Supra when paired up with the HDVD 800 and HD 800.

Big thumbs up to you ALRAINBOW.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #2,542 of 3,016
I am happy for you and am glad ypu saved big on buying it. Enjoy it

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #2,544 of 3,016
If you mean the new firmware for my ps audio DS yes it did
It's the best one so far for sure.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,545 of 3,016
Help!!

Lately i've been having some static sound appear when sound is played through the hdvd 800. It hasn't happened before but after playing for a few hours now, it usually happens. I tried changing cables and other headphones, but i was still getting static after playing for a while.

When it happens i can press the pause button and play right after and it will be gone for a little bit and then it comes back and stays there until i stop the music or turn of the hdvd 800.

I have my hdvd 800 connected to my audiophilleo pure power and from there it connects to my pc. I'm using a supra power cable and my power strips are pretty standard.

Where is the source of the problem most likely to be, and how do i test for it? I'm hoping it's not my hdvd 800 going bad. :xf_eek:

EDIT:

Coincidentally it says on the bottom of the hdvd 800: 

"This device complies with Part 15 of the ECC rules. Operation is subjected to the following two conditions:
1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and
2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2,546 of 3,016
Ok two idea both firmware
First do you have the new firmware loaded on the hdvd800.
Second the same for fhe ap1/pp. Both need there updates.
Next try it without he pp first
Then wothiut the ap1
Lastly does this happen with the usb alone.
A another thougjt keep your phone a way from it
And keep the ap1 level with the connector
Sounds dumb but things do matter
Post results

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,547 of 3,016
Did have newest firmware on hdvd 800
Installed a driver for audiophilleo 2 even though it's plug and play
installed newest fw for pure power
Emailed support so i can get access to the newest fw for ap2 without using the previous owners email.

I had the static sound happen once before i got the ap/pp, so it must be something else. It usually happens after hours of use and then it's fine after i let it be for a while.

I discovered that i could feel static when running one finger lightly across the hdvd 800's metal shell, whether it was on or not. I changed cables and plugged everything out and put it back together again and removed some stuff from my table. Something seems to have helped with the static, as there is none when the power and usb is connected and the hdvd 800 is turned off, however there is slight static when i turn it on. Is this even something i should be worried about?

I'm going to bed now but i'll post my findings tomorrow when i put it to use again.

Thanks for helping me out.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,550 of 3,016
  is this price new  or old  ?   http://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphone-audio-amplification-hdvd-800-acoustic

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_143HDVD800/Sennheiser-HDVD-800.html?showAll=N&search=hdvd800&skipvs=T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back