Sennheiser HD820
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,831 of 4,357
Thanks!
Then it is not for me and I think too pricey! I don't understand why it cost so much more then the 800s. We will see in a few years if it becomes a classic headphone.
In this market niche, price is subjective, next to the high investment costs of Sennheiser for a likely small market. These costs will have to be returned, but over a smaller number of headphones. So, it does make sense to me, this is how business works.

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,832 of 4,357
For those that have heard it, how hard does the bass hit on the HD820? Is it anywhere in the neighbourhood of the TH900 mk2?

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #1,833 of 4,357
I have the HD800S and the elite sheep dekoni pads.

When I got the pads, I looked on here with regards to keeping the sennheiser dust protectors in or take them out whilst using the dekonis. Some discussion here said to leave them in when using the dekoni’s, so I left them in and What, the sound was muffled.

I went back to the stock ones and later decided to try the dekonis again, this time taking the sennheiser dust protectors out, once out it sounded great.

My advice would be to try it, I like the dekonis now, plus the dekonis have a built in dust protector.

Much much comfier with the dekoni pads, as for any changes in the sound stage, you have to judge that for yourself but if you try it, dont try it with the sennheiser dust protectors in also as its just one big muffle that way.

Just grabbed another penon official cable, these dudes are good at making nice cables that rival things that are hundreds of pounds more.

Really nice cables.

I'm using Moon Audio's black dragon, I think they're pretty good for the price. Thanks for the advice on pads.

Jul 19, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,834 of 4,357
I mean it is clear that with two layers of dust protection the sound will go downhill. Maybe nobody realized inside of your first somehow obscure postings. I am glad you figured it out in the end.

I did not ask whether to keep them in or to take them out, I just read it here, not this thread but the 800 thread.

I Skimmed through alot of posts and just read a handful, in which they say, “keep the protectors in”, initially I did, but thought is this correct ? as it was instant muffle.

I tried again without the pads inside and they came alive.

My obscure posts, if by obscure you mean not there, probably, as I didn’t ask a question regarding the dust protectors but, if you mean my posts don’t make sense or are unclear at times, it’s because they were done on purpose to annoy some self appointed internet cop, non head-fi official related who follows me around the forum.

I know, how lucky am I to have my own head-fi stalker, the best part is, they actually think they are anonymous.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #1,835 of 4,357
For those that have heard it, how hard does the bass hit on the HD820? Is it anywhere in the neighbourhood of the TH900 mk2?
Don't expect any serious bass slam with HD820. TH900 hits much harder.
That being said, I prefer the bass with HD820 as it is tight, fast, and accurate without bloating and affecting low-mid range. Also the sub bass extension is great. If it has just a little more quantity HD820 would be perfect.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,836 of 4,357
That being said, I prefer the bass with HD820 as it is tight, fast, and accurate without bloating and affecting low-mid range. Also the sub bass extension is great. If it has just a little more quantity HD820 would be perfect.

How does it compare to the HD800S stock?

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #1,837 of 4,357
How does it compare to the HD800S stock?
HD820 has more bass impact and fuller sounding in comparison with HD800S. Also HD820 has smoother treble, which may lead to slightly less resolving than HD800S.
My comparison is based on my memory from the time when I owned HD800S and TH900 mk2. I sold them some months ago. So please take my comments as a grain of salt as this is not based on proper A/B comparison.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,838 of 4,357
HD820 has more bass impact and fuller sounding in comparison with HD800S. Also HD820 has smoother treble, which may lead to slightly less resolving than HD800S.
My comparison is based on my memory from the time when I owned HD800S and TH900 mk2. I sold them some months ago. So please take my comments as a grain of salt as this is not based on proper A/B comparison.
Dit you bought the HD820?

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #1,839 of 4,357
Jul 20, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,841 of 4,357
While the 800 series is not tuned for bass, the drivers can handle Abyss quantity bass with no distortion while maintaining that soundstage that people buy the 800 for. Try downloading the free trial version of Sonarworks Tru-Fi and using the HD800 plugin to get an optimized signature - then boost the bass all the way to +8dB in the personalization section and see what it can do. WOW! What is cool about Sonarworks is that it has an enable/disable button to instantly turn the tuning on and off so you can see what a difference it makes. It is definitely worth the 15 minutes that it takes to set up the program to hear what an 800 can do when properly optimized. A few more tweaks and you are going neck to neck with the Abyss - yes, I have tried it and on very exotic equipment.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,842 of 4,357
While the 800 series is not tuned for bass, the drivers can handle Abyss quantity bass with no distortion while maintaining that soundstage that people buy the 800 for. Try downloading the free trial version of Sonarworks Tru-Fi and using the HD800 plugin to get an optimized signature - then boost the bass all the way to +8dB in the personalization section and see what it can do. WOW! What is cool about Sonarworks is that it has an enable/disable button to instantly turn the tuning on and off so you can see what a difference it makes. It is definitely worth the 15 minutes that it takes to set up the program to hear what an 800 can do when properly optimized. A few more tweaks and you are going neck to neck with the Abyss - yes, I have tried it and on very exotic equipment.
Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, I tried various EQ in the past (including Sonarworks but not with HD820). But I don't like the sound after digital processing. To my ears, there is always some kind of distortion or feeling of something missing. I much prefer bit perfect representation. And that is the reason why I keep buying different Has looking for a perfect FR for my ears.

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,843 of 4,357
Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, I tried various EQ in the past (including Sonarworks but not with HD820). But I don't like the sound after digital processing. To my ears, there is always some kind of distortion or feeling of something missing. I much prefer bit perfect representation. And that is the reason why I keep buying different Has looking for a perfect FR for my ears.
Forgot to add "buying various cables". Cables allow me to tweak the FR in a subtle and analogue way without coloring the original recording.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,844 of 4,357

Users who are viewing this thread

Back