1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
Next

Last
  1. Beagle
    Does any product end up matching the advertising hype word for word?

2. QueueCumber
    To be fair, dcfac73, the soundstage is perceptibly larger on the 820 than it is on my Utopias...

trellus and rutter like this.
  3. Beagle
    My interest has waned to the point where I think it is best to wait until the end of the year. At that point, there will be a general consensus apparent, and perhaps a drop in price (or used options available). I don't want to buy and have to return, just because of curiosity.

Bern2 likes this.
  4. 329161
    I think there are a few closed cans with great soundstage. Eg th900.
    My idea of an open sound is a natural soundstage with natural and immersive imaging. Open cans put you in a 3d place in the audio while closed cans tend to put the image in a 2d like way in front of you.
    Closed cans also have this kind of fatiguing quality to listen to. I'm not sure if it's from the sound bouncing back from the cups. They are generally less relaxing and natural to listen to.

trellus likes this.
  5. 329161
    This is true, but for this headphone it is the main selling point. That's why, supposedly, it's so expensive.

6. Beagle
    I suppose. I was hoping for most of the HD800 sound with a smoother treble, but around the same price. When it was announced at $2399, I had to expect even more. Now it would appear that it does not even reach the level of the HD800s sound. So what do you get for your extra $800? Just the isolation?

Whitigir and soullinker20 like this.
  7. up late
    i expect that the hd820 will sound like a closed version of the hd800s. the impressions that i'm seeing here indicate as much.

8. soullinker20
    having thicker mids is a plus for me but for the price tag I might have to wait and demo it first

9. Whitigir
    I love the upper mid and low treble in hd800S. Why would a closed back hd820 has these reduced ? That is sad
    If the upper mid and lower treble is thinner than Utopia, then the Hd280 is nothing compare to Hd800s

10. QueueCumber
    Not sure what to say, the 800S sounded even worse to me in that respect. The whole sound spectrum sounded more diffuse and less detailed to me. Perhaps go demo a pair. Maybe your experience will be different.

11. soullinker20
    IME, thicker mids or bump on the mid bass sometimes make the high mids less pronounced.. but planars like lcd3f, 4 and diana manage to balance this

12. up late
    well you won't be able to confirm that for yourself until you try it, which I presume you haven't done yet

13. 8bitme
    I mean this is a matter of taste. Personally I've always thought the exact opposite. I much prefer mixing music for long hours on closed cans which is why I'm interested in these cans in the first place.

If you check just a few of those hands-on impressions available already on the internet / youtube most ppl seem to actually prefer the sound of the 820. The soundstage seem to be slightly smaller on the 820 though but that can actually be a good thing for some people. Again personal preferences. I agree that the price is really high though but for me if it delivers a true transparent closed can mixing experience then this is what I've been waiting for for a long time.

Sennheiser likes this.
  14. Audiotic
    I second that. I used to have the 800, now I am one of the early people actually owning the 820. And I prefer the soundstage of the 820. Yes, narrower, but the 800 was, for me, artificially wide. Also the sound balance is more even.
    The more I listen to it, the more I appreciate it. And no, it is not fatiguing. Compared ro my LCD-X (which is open) for sure not as it is so much lighter.

Sennheiser and trellus like this.
  15. jasonyyd
    Yep, same here.

First

Back
111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131
Next

Last