Sennheiser HD820
Apr 29, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #3,916 of 4,370
Is there any particular technique to pull out connectors easily, or is it always that hard?
No it is not an easy procedure, the connectors require to be heated and then twisted to unscrew them apart and the pieces are tiny, fun soldering and putting them back together! Also as the cables are rather well made one has to remove quite a few layers.

So, you contacted Sennheiser directly about the cable issue, not the vendor?
Here in Canada I contacted Sennheiser, the 1st one was sent in under the 2 year warranty in 2018....thought maybe it was just an anomaly, then the 2nd, same thing. Searching on line I discovered this was a rather common occurrence and sent that info to Sennheiser who then sent me a 3rd. When that one went last summer I basically gave up but contacted them anyway and then picked up the 3rd party cable. Then recently out of the blue I was unexpectadly sent a 4th one, apparently there was a parts shortage on most parts for almost a year, I will keep it unopened. : )

That's weird, oils?
Not really...but we can only assume it is the natural rubber used and interacting with some individual body oils, as this never happened with any other headphone cables, I've one HD650 cable going on 10 years or more.

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #3,917 of 4,370
No it is not an easy procedure, the connectors require to be heated and then twisted to unscrew them apart
You did a great job fixing it. I was thinking more about plugin out connectors from sockets, not repairing them. It's not easy to pull them out. I've read that some people had an issue ripping sockets from new headphones. It was one guy that is making reviews on Youtube but read about others who had the same problem. And how it goes hard out, I am not sure I want to change cables soon : ) That's what I thought if there is any particular easier way. Or is it always hard? Did anyone report that to Sennheiser? I believe that they know about that, but did they say anything? I see they are sometimes active here on the forum.
Then recently out of the blue I was unexpectadly sent a 4th one
This looks like a good comedy. It's good that they cooperate.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,918 of 4,370
was thinking more about plugin out connectors from sockets, not repairing them. It's not easy to pull them out.
They are rather secure...

I've read that some people had an issue ripping sockets from new headphones
the connectors on the Fog City cable are are much less worrisome in that regards.

This looks like a good comedy. It's good that they cooperate.
Yes after 4 cables. lol
But Sennheiser have been extremely good over the years, my HD700 cable I modded with a 4 pin XLR connector failed at the the headphone connector and after I sent it in they sent back a new cable plus my Neutrik XLR, also had a pair of IE800 fail in one ear and they replaced it with a brand new one in retail packaging.

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #3,919 of 4,370
But Sennheiser have been extremely good over the years

That's good to hear that they have good customer service and support...I have plans to use HD 800s and HD 820 for a loooong time :)
I can't ask for more in sound quality. I have other headphones (less expensive), and I like them all, but these give me extra joy and excitement.
I want to audition for as many other headphones as possible (just for fun), but I just don't need to have any other than these; perhaps there are planars that are not too expensive which would give me the same excitement.

You have experience repairing these cables; have you ever made cables for headphones? How difficult would that be?
The only cables I have made were for speakers. The simple ones with banana plugs, but that doesn't count; that's too easy :)

Apr 29, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,921 of 4,370
Dear forum users!

I like these headphones, and they are very comfortable!

Does anyone know if there is a modified version of the HD820 that lowers the treble and boosts the bass?
Well they're already that vs. the 800S. Bass can be improved by a better seal, but not sure what the latest advise on bending the headband is. If you're using tubes, more bass heavy tubes of course, and if solid state perhaps a different amp that is known to be bass heavy would help too.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #3,922 of 4,370
You have experience repairing these cables; have you ever made cables for headphones?
I've made cables for most of my headphones.....although not trained in electronics I've been tinkering and repairing all electronic equipment, audio, computers, appliances, etc since the 60s, so a while. : )

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #3,923 of 4,370
I've made cables for most of my headphones.....although not trained in electronics I've been tinkering and repairing all electronic equipment, audio, computers, appliances, etc since the 60s, so a while. : )
Wow. That's cool. Making cables looks fun to me. Do you know any tutorial, video where it could be best to see how they are made? I would like to try. I don't have knowledge of electronics, but I did repair some simple things with the help of Youtubers : ) like changing and soldering diodes in the PC monitor. But fiddling with cables, that's more related to what I do. You started making them since you were in school?

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #3,924 of 4,370
Dear forum users!

I like these headphones, and they are very comfortable!

Does anyone know if there is a modified version of the HD820 that lowers the treble and boosts the bass?
Do you want more than this...
https://tidal.com/browse/track/60934287
Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 7.45.10 AM.png

Seriously though unless there is a problem with the seal or being improperly powered, source, amp... the HD820 IMHO are rather adept in the bass department.
As for the treble....what are you listening to?
I can imagine if the treble is too hot (playing too loud!).... the bass on the HD820 would be overpowering.:triportsad:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #3,926 of 4,370
Well they're already that vs. the 800S. Bass can be improved by a better seal, but not sure what the latest advise on bending the headband is. If you're using tubes, more bass heavy tubes of course, and if solid state perhaps a different amp that is known to be bass heavy would help too.
Thanks!

What about high frequencies? How can they be reduced?

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #3,927 of 4,370
Thanks!

What about high frequencies? How can they be reduced?
Not sure really. You may try other pads, see if any of the 800/800S mods would help, but tubes and amp choices can also impact treble.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,928 of 4,370
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,929 of 4,370

Users who are viewing this thread

Back