Sennheiser HD820
May 7, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #3,946 of 4,370
Getting to the meat and potatoes though on the HD820 the quality of the driver and low distortion should not be overlooked, will be pulling out he AKG K872 sometime soon soon but my current comparisons with the Sennheiser HD660S2 are interesting.
On some earlier recordings where a warmer more intimate signature may be desired the S2 appear to do a better job but listening to Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" 1985, the S2 actually sounded 2 dimensional and flat, the HD820 with it's better resolving powers was indeed more immersive and musically satisfying and not in a minor way...for me.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/279972176
kate bush.png

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3,949 of 4,370
New leather sheepskin/pleather pads and head cushion are in....jury is out on how the sound is affected but a preliminary listen did show an increase of attenuation of surrounding ambient sounds, silence is bliss. : )
Known to not leave well enough alone. :rolling_eyes: ..... revisiting the leather pads....As mentioned previously they do make the HD820 sound a bit crisper and may have made a better integration of the bass and midrange, so some benefits and a few trade offs...but growing on me.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #3,951 of 4,370
..... revisiting the leather pads..
Maybe the HD820 are just coincidentally breaking in but with the leather pads the the imaging and layering is very distinct, as if the lens has been perfectly focused.
a few trade offs...but growing on me
Have to admit, the best I've heard and with the fuller bottom end the picture is rather complete...really really starting to like these phones (but then again believe I've said that a few times over the last 20 years. lol). Seriously though, the HD820 are turning out to be quite the aural treat. :L3000:

May 16, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #3,956 of 4,370
For completely different.... : )
Picked up a 2nd pair of closed back Focal Elegia. the HD820 is a much more sophisticated listening experience and in a class of its own but for a more up front, traditional headphone experience the Focal are not bad, and will save wear and tear on the Senns. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,957 of 4,370
I was thinking about HD 820 paired with different DAC, amp and all other components in one setup. And I don't think or ask for the best combo. That's an entirely individual thing. What's best for me doesn't have to be best for you. It's common to talk about the characteristics of one individual item. But the sound includes all other components with each character to make one particular in the end, and that's what we hear. Isn't it?

What's your opinion on how different sounds produce HD 820 in my setup than yours or any other? How different can any headphone sound regarding combining with different Amp/DAC...
I am mostly interested in sound overall, not divided into its parts. Finally, I like the sound, or I don't; that's how it goes with me. With all that, sometimes it looks like some combos are better suited for me than others.
On one side, the sound can be warm and gentle; on the other, it is sharp and colder.
I have that situation with my different DAC/amp combos.

I also recently bought new speakers, and I am so delighted by how gentle and silky the sound is, yet powerful and rich, unlike my previous speakers, which I adored listening to for several years. Now I lean on the other side of the new speakers' sound : )

How much can you manipulate HD 820 to sound different in different situations and combos?

So, I wasn't thinking about pads : )

One more thing.
Am I imagining that when it's been raining a lot for a couple of days, and the humidity is high, I hear more bass from speakers than when it's clear weather and less humid?

Cheers!

May 16, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,958 of 4,370
How much can you manipulate HD 820 to sound different in different situations and combos?

So, I wasn't thinking about pads : )
Good question...with the HD820 I've only used my 2 solid state amps, a Bryston BHA-1 and the Sennheiser HDVD800, both of which are hooked direcrly up to Cambridge CXN streamer/dacs, no computers in the chain so no means of doing EQ. Can't imagine similar amps and DACs making a huge difference, maybe tubes if you go that route.
Guess it really depends on what you wish to achieve.
One more thing.
Am I imagining that when it's been raining a lot for a couple of days, and the humidity is high, I hear more bass from speakers than when it's clear weather and less humid?

Cheers!
Humidity can and will make a difference, I've some wooden doors which are impossible to close in the humid months of summer so you can imagine what the humidty does to wooden speaker enclosures. Higher humidity causes more oxidization changing electrical connections....also not to mention out own sinuses and ear canels which are affected by dry and humid seasons. So yes you are probably hearing changes in your system.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #3,959 of 4,370
I like the term you used, "sophisticated". I like that more than the one majority is using "better". I like the term; it's different. I am not saying better is not existing, but I like "it's different". And now, I will add one more that I like; it's more or less sophisticated : )
I do have a connection to Mac...but I am not going to EQ. I like the way it is. Even though that setup is perfect for me, I wouldn't change anything. It's a tube Amp (Auris HA-2 SF). It's another one with the Topping combo that is a bit sharper sounding. I heard that Supra LAN cable gives a bit of warmth. I might try that in the chain in that setup to lower the sharpness.
Humidity, it seems, is not an enemy all the time; the sound is not bad : )

May 16, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #3,960 of 4,370
I like the term you used, "sophisticated"
I feel like folks have missed the capabilities or misunderstand the HD820 altogether, oh well snobs we are. :sunglasses:

It's a tube Amp (Auris HA-2 SF). It's another one with the Topping combo that is a bit sharper sounding.
The Auris HA-2 SF looks like a really nice amp :thumbsup:......and yes in comparison I would think the solid state Topping to sound less organic, amps are not just about power.
Humidity, it seems, is not an enemy all the time; the sound is not bad : )
I also find my stereo sounds best when it's humid. : )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back