Sennheiser HD820
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,698 of 4,370
I spent almost 3 hours twice take a look at the past posts i think I'm the only one that gave this negative feedback.

Sorry you don’t like them.

I’m wondering if the elevated mid-range FR curve makes them sound more detailed to me. I’m also wondering if reflection from the Gorilla glass helps in this regard as well by strengthening the imaging. For me they sound more detailed (less diffuse imaging-wise—in case I’m using the wrong word) than the 800S. All I can do is find reasons why they sound that way to me. It is what it is for me. You’re just going to have to live with it. lol

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,699 of 4,370
I spent almost 3 hours twice take a look at the past posts i think I'm the only one that gave this negative feedback.

I'm 100% confident that some people, when they get this headphone, will post their disappointment with them and say they are returning them or selling them.

And I don't say that because I don't like them -- I've never heard them! :D It's just that people really do have different expectations and different preferences, and so inevitably there will be who are still listening and deciding, some who quickly love them and tell us so, and some who quickly will not like them and tell us so, too.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,700 of 4,370
Wait nevermind, I forgot delusion is hard to cure.

I think it’s reasonable for me to try and figure out why my experience is what it is with the 800S and 820. I think it’s unreasonable for someone to just try and discredit others using black and white statements without trying to understand their experiences and potential factors that might contribute to their experiences.

Here are the things that potentially contribute to differences in experience:

1. Audio processing in the brain can be different for different people (see research on phantom imaging)
2. Ear and auditory canal shape
3. Frequency response sensitivities and curve differences between HPs
4. Psychological bias (as you and others mentioned)

Feel free to add more. Right now you’re only focused on number 4 because you’re convinced that ONLY YOU can be right and other people’s experiences can’t possibly differ from your experience. It’s a phenomenon called contempt prior to investigation.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,701 of 4,370
The other issue is that I’m sure Axel has to be very political with his statements. He has to keep 800S customers happy as well as keep the 800S selling in the future. It makes sense to spin every unit as the best in some way to sell the maximum amount of units (or even both to some customers) whenever possible.
Alex Grell is not profit orientated just sound orientated

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #1,702 of 4,370
giphy.gif

Can't wait for all the burn-in impressions to follow :D

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #1,705 of 4,370

I’ve been playing around with the X-PHD settings on the Hugo2 and the 820 tonight. I’m finding that the green and blue settings seems to help a lot with integrating the lowest notes of acoustic guitar on that Nora Jones Painter Song. It also takes away the uncomfortable feeling I get with all headphones when sound pans all the way to one side only, as it does with the guitar on that song... lol

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,706 of 4,370
Just got my HD820. Not impressed, especially compared to HD 650 or ZMF Atticus. Let's see what burn-in and some mental acclimatization can do. Nice packaging.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #1,707 of 4,370
Just got my HD820. Not impressed, especially compared to HD 650 or ZMF Atticus. Let's see what burn-in and some mental acclimatization can do. Nice packaging.
Look forward to your impressions, especially compared to the Atticus.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,708 of 4,370
I’ve been playing around with the X-PHD settings on the Hugo2 and the 820 tonight. I’m finding that the green and blue settings seems to help a lot with integrating the lowest notes of acoustic guitar on that Nora Jones Painter Song. It also takes away the uncomfortable feeling I get with all headphones when sound pans all the way to one side only, as it does with the guitar on that song... lol
I also like the green and blue settings on my HD 800S's and HD 660S's. It's seems to help attenuate the lower frequencies better on Sennheiser headphones than some of my other headphones for whatever reason.

Jul 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,710 of 4,370
The best headphones are often the ones that don't sound all that great on first listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back