Sennheiser HD820
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #1,681 of 4,359
I think if someone has saved up in their piggy bank some endgame amount of bones, and gets both 800(s) and 820 and a half decent dac/amp and gets out scarred 5gs and sanity intact, that would be quite an accomplishment.
Then they should go build a rocket or something.
The more i see pics of these on people's heads , the more i struggle to fall asleep knowing the shortcomings of my cans :p

But hey, seems like there will be plenty of these circulating the globe, and that is hope, and all one needs is .... hope :D

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #1,682 of 4,359
I don't think their is anything anyone can say to the delusional hd820 owners. More detailed than a open back? Yep that's delusion. To each their own. I'm done. Enjoy your headphones people. I'm sorry if this came off as A hole-lish, but i think this is just a typical case of audiophilia.
I haven’t heard the HD820 myself so can’t say if it’s more or less detailed than the HD800/S but to say all open headphones are inherently more detailed than closed headphones is very misleading. While the physics are indeed different, clarity doesn’t suddenly improve just because a headphone is open. The only “audiophilia” in your statement is the conviction that you’re right and everyone else is wrong.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #1,683 of 4,359
Here I think that we have a tipical subjective contrast between technicity/musicality preferences. The distance between both worlds is up to one’s preferences and ear shape/physiognomy…

Speaking about my tastes, I am very sensitive about space feelings peraps more than tonality and I noticed that cans/iem that tend to have their strenght placed in the tonality characteristics sometimes for some, there’s a weakness in space/soundstage/immaging… because of the fuller tonnality, sometimes it doesn’t let a lot of air, space between every sound notes….and the feeling is like a more 2d sound.

I can also give one example, I listened to the Utopia once, in an audiophile shop and even if I found them to be excellents in tonality, contrasts, dynamics, I felt like something was missing in the immaging presentation, something that my HD 800s was able to give.

Another example in the IEM world : I have the Earsonics S-em9 and the EM10, we have the same phenomen here, the S-em9 are known to have better 3d presentation, separation, aeration, depth than the EM 10 that are defined as more "musical", full, lively with a tonality more « meaty » everywere… to my own ears, even if I clearly understand why some say they are more musical, I feel like I miss something in the space presentation of the EM10 because they sound more 2D, the exact sensation I felt with the Utopia. To me musicality is more in the "technic" world.

Tonality VS Immage…

I understand now that it’s difficult to have both world and everybody have a different and subjective point of view about Hi-fi…

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,685 of 4,359
Opened headphones only has the opened staging and atmosphere. Closed back headphones has more details on upper frequency but how to tame the bass and resonance correctly is more the problem of closed back headphones. In this department, the Sony Z1R was great (for current productions) that is

Honestly I agree, closed backs do have some benefits sonically. My two best headphones are older closed backs that I modded to control the resonances and get the bass right as I quickly grasped they have rather exceptional drivers in them. A good closed back is something special imho. Many just get too wrapped up in open vs closed. Just as many can get wrapped up in SS vs tube amps. Good audio quality is good audio quality regardless of what form it comes in.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,687 of 4,359
Why are you here?

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,691 of 4,359
I knew a few hours after listening to the 800S that I wasn’t happy with the sound and that they were going back (actually, within a few minutes, but I tried to give them a chance over a few days). I can’t say the same for the 820. If “new headphone” excitement were a phenomenon I adhere to, then why didn’t I wax romantic about the 800S? lol

In any case, I think the 820 is sufficient for my needs. It has some weaknesses, mostly the lower frequency transition points I mentioned (how much of which is due to my particular unit’s FR is still unknown), and a little bit stifled on high hats/cymbals. Less sibilant than the Utopia, but also less full sounding but with better instrument separation and soundstage. I’m happy enough with them. They all can’t be Susvaras. They’re great for me considering the closed-back and my use for them.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,692 of 4,359
So...do you do your listening with Axels ears?

The other issue is that I’m sure Axel has to be very political with his statements. He has to keep 800S customers happy as well as keep the 800S selling in the future. It makes sense to spin every unit as the best in some way to sell the maximum amount of units (or even both to some customers) whenever possible.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,693 of 4,359
Nothing hurts more then the truth i guess. Even when the facts are right there and said from the man himself. To state that the hd820 is more detailed then the hd800S is beyond ridiculous. I am going to get defensive if people make statements like that because I'm trying to look out for people's pockets. This is audiophila, this is not a upgrade it's a side grade.

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,694 of 4,359
Nothing hurts more then the truth i guess. Even when the facts are right there and said from the man himself. To state that the hd820 is more detailed then the hd800S is beyond ridiculous. I am going to get defensive if people make statements like that because I'm trying to look out for people's pockets. This is audiophila, this is not a upgrade it's a side grade.

And you’ve owned both and spent hours listening to them on the same equipment?

Until you have my ears, you’re not qualified to make claims about what I’m experiencing with both units...

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,695 of 4,359
upload_2018-7-4_15-26-52.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back