1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
Next

Last
  1. Giraku
    As you stated, the low end has steep drop on yours. But mine has slightly lower low-mid range than yours. Again the difference is jus a couple of dB, so I don't know if we can pick up any difference if we do A/B. Anyway, thank you for sharing.

2. Mark Up
    It's worth pointing out that the graph they include is incredibly deficient and really just high bass through mid treble. Sub bass and high treble are completely absent and actually matter a lot. I can understand one preferring the Suvasara since it is a flagship open, and no under $3,000 closed can touch what it likely does well. The Utopia is also open and in a higher price class. I remember how incredible Utopias sounded through an amazing setup in a very quiet room at CanJam where I tested them. Other than the peaks in the highs I'd heard on those (that I did not hear on the HD820) they sound like the price difference with the benefits of being open. That said, those headphones or the Suvasara are ideal alternative to the HD820, which can bring its own benefits to the table, including more isolation.

3. andromeda1954
    I have the HD 800S and in my experience they don’t have a thin sound signature at all If you use the right amp and dac they can sound full with a good and powerful bass and you are in the music They are amp picky ,more than HD 820 . I listened for two hours to the HD 820 and to my ears the bass of the HD 820 was only a little bit stronger but not much.But overall the HD 800S is for me still the better hp sound wise ..

Rchandra, Ichos and PointyFox like this.
  4. Giraku
    Interesting... I used Hugo 2 and TA-ZH1ES to drive HD800S. What do you use to drive your HD800S?

5. PointyFox
    I also don't think it sounds thin. I used mine with a Schiit Magni 3 and a Bottlehead Mainline. My Z1R has better bass extension and impact, but not by that much.

6. Beagle
    I understand what you are trying to say here, and I have heard this anomaly in other headphones.

An analogy I might use is, instead of a stew with everything blended together and balanced, you have a bowl each of meat, veggies and potatoes. And the graph (for what it's worth) looks like separate servings of low bass, midrange, and treble.

QueueCumber likes this.
  7. andromeda1954
    iI
    I drive the Hd 800S ( Cardas Clear xlr cable ) lwith Violectric V281 with Shunyata power cable , Chord Qutest Dac . cables, Audio Quest Diamond USB > ifi Iusb micro 3.0> JCat Reference USB > Qutest >Cardas Clear Beyond Interconnects>ViolectricV281> HD 800S

8. Giraku
    Wow, great system. I pre-ordered TT2. Maybe I parted with HD800S too early?:)

9. Mediahound
    Where are folks preordering? I've contacted a few USA dealers and none of them are taking preorders and they even say they've not even heard when it's coming out.

10. Giraku
    Try Audio46 in NYC. They are currently sold out, but they may get some soon. Don't rely on the website. Just call them. Tony is my go-to guy.

11. Rchandra
    HD820 has better clarity then the HD800S!!??...its the same driver....omg

12. kman1211
    Not really surprising, driver/housing tuning and driver implementation can play a very big role on perceived clarity. Not to mention different peoples ear/head shapes and sensitivities having an influence on things.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  13. Maelob

Just saw this review, but it is in French. Any french speaking members willing to translate sound impressions?

14. sly_in_the_sky
    I Will summarise this video, but quickly, for him, the 800 and the 820 are very differents, the 820 are more "lively", better timbre, fullness and musicality, mostly with a big amp like the one he has that is capable to show the 820 "latent" capacity. Despite the fact that the 820 hasn't the 800 (S) soundstage with his more "open" sound, he prefers the 820. To him, this 820 will be a "reference" headphone like the 800 were these last 10 years.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    trellus, Maelob and raypin like this.
  15. sly_in_the_sky
    Despite that, having the 800 s with the HDVD820, I only can say that It would be diffcult for me to "sacrifice" soundstage and space for fuller sound (less aeration/separation and so on..)

First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
Next

Last