1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD820

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Dulalala, Apr 29, 2017.
First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last
  1. QueueCumber
    Left brain hypercritical listening aside, music comes together quite well as a gestalt when I’m just relaxing and listening (easier to do after just waking up for me). I’m particularly impressed by piano on these. Some of the piano passages on Nora Jones’s Come Away with Me sound deliciously lush (The Nearness of You is giving me goosebumps!). I’m really enjoying the bass lines on Beck’s Sea Changes with the 820s, particularly on Think I’m Doing Fine and Lonesome Tears. Impactful but integrated well with the other stringed instruments. Very moving.

I think these HPs make an excellent contrast with the Focals due to the closed-back and soundstage. Ideally, I’d have these HPs and the Susvaras. Maybe when there are more used units available down the road I can make the switch back again.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Beagle likes this.
  2. Giraku
    Thank you for the translation. My opinion completely aligns with the summarized review. To my ears, the wide soundstage of HD800/S is too much, and sometimes sounds a bit artificial. I really like the "liveliness" of HD820. Of course, YMMV.

3. andromeda1954
    Axel Grell said it himself that the 800S is the better headphone, more detail, more cripsness better separation ,wider and deeper soundstage. He can know because he is the designer. For people that need a closed back set, the 820 is the headphone that comes the closest in sound. to the HD800S

MacedonianHero likes this.
  4. Giraku
    To me, HD820 is "better". I agree with you about the technicality. But those technical aspects do not necessarily dictate personal preference. I guess for majority of the people HD800S is "better" but not for me. In this sense I would say "HD800S is technically superior to HD820".

5. joseph69
    +1

QueueCumber and Giraku like this.
  6. Beagle
  7. JabenZ
  8. Beagle
    I don't call people.

9. QueueCumber
    What exactly does he mean by “more crispness”?

The 820 sounds more detailed to me than the set of 800S I had. It’s one of the reasons I returned the 800S. Maybe I received a malfunctioning 800S? Or maybe the 820 response curve makes instruments and vocals seem less veiled?

Giraku likes this.
  10. Rchandra
    I don't think their is anything anyone can say to the delusional hd820 owners. More detailed than a open back? Yep that's delusion. To each their own. I'm done. Enjoy your headphones people. I'm sorry if this came off as A hole-lish, but i think this is just a typical case of audiophilia.

11. pietcux
    Do you run the HD820 from exactly the same rig as you did run the HD800S? This includes balanced vs unbalanced connection.

12. kman1211
    There is definitely going to be new toy syndrome going on and a bit of a hype-train, it happens with basically every new headphone, it’s nothing new. There are no long term impressions yet, once the dust settles a bit and they have been out in the wild for a while we will get a better perspective.

What’s with the dismissal of closed-backs as being so inferior by so many in the community? Implementation, tuning, and transducer quality honestly matter more than open vs closed. Between the HD 800/S and HD 820 the driver quality is generally the same, the real difference outside of open vs closed is going to be tuning and implementation. If the tuning and implementation of the HD 820 works better for someone’s ears than the HD 800/S of course it’s going to sound better to them and vice versa. Not to mention to some people closed-backs sound better to them in general. I've heard too many headphones to conclude open or closed is better, especially since some of the best headphones I've ever heard have been closed. For me it's the cost of the HD 820 over the HD 800 S that is a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Beagle and QueueCumber like this.
  13. QueueCumber
    Exact same setups.

14. QueueCumber
    Someone needs a nappy poo...

Rayzilla, Beagle, Aryadeva and 4 others like this.
  15. SHAMuuu
    I think if someone has saved up in their piggy bank some endgame amount of bones, and gets both 800(s) and 820 and a half decent dac/amp and gets out scarred 5gs and sanity intact, that would be quite an accomplishment.
    Then they should go build a rocket or something.
    The more i see pics of these on people's heads , the more i struggle to fall asleep knowing the shortcomings of my cans :p

But hey, seems like there will be plenty of these circulating the globe, and that is hope, and all one needs is .... hope :D

pietcux likes this.
First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last