Sennheiser HD820
Jul 5, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #1,711 of 4,356
I'm very surprised that @jude has not done a formal review and comparison to the HD600/600S thus far. He knows those well.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,713 of 4,356
I find that ones that impress right off the bat usually are bright or too bassy in the long run.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,714 of 4,356
I find it to be the polar opposite, if they don't do well on first impression they find their way on the classifieds eventually.

Not sure either way, TBH. First listen on Susvara I didn't like, but fairly quickly they ended up being the best I've ever heard. Utopia I loved at first listen, but quickly found that the treble can be grating with some recordings, and of course soundstage is not so large. I still think they are great headphones. I didn't like the 800S right off the bat, and they never grew on me. I don't love or hate the 820, but I feel like they do an excellent job across multiple parameters that make listening on them enjoyable for me. As such, I am very satisfied with them. It's hard to love anything after the Susvaras for me. They've ruined me for most headphones. Just like my ex-wife ruined me for future relationships... lol

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #1,715 of 4,356
I find it to be the polar opposite, if they don't do well on first impression they find their way on the classifieds eventually.
likewise. i've found that spending more time with a headphone confirms my initial impression.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,716 of 4,356
It's hard to love anything after the Susvaras for me. They've ruined me for most headphones. Just like my ex-wife ruined me for future relationships... lol
Umm, then you should just get another ex-wife of the same model.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #1,717 of 4,356
Umm, then you should just get another ex-wife of the same model.

I've been looking for the same model as my ex-wife that's the same age as my ex-wife when I met her... :ksc75smile:

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,718 of 4,356
Check for NOS on the used market?

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,719 of 4,356
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,720 of 4,356
low mileage

5B5C6D7C-1321-43F6-A65F-F5B74CEAF13B.jpeg

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #1,722 of 4,356
I finally found a pair of used Susvaras at a price I could stomach. I’ll be able to run some comparisons after next week. Chances are I’ll sell my Utopias now. The Susvaras came extremely close to their level of detail, but had much better instrument separation and soundstage. The downside being they are a pain in the arse to drive. The 820 and Susvara will make an excellent closed-back/open-back combo for me. I just have to figure out if I want to pick up another iCan for them or try something else with a small footprint that will work in my bedroom.

If anyone has recommendations that would be a good match with the Susvara and 820, would love to try some stuff out.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,723 of 4,356
I finally found a pair of used Susvaras at a price I could stomach. I’ll be able to run some comparisons after next week. Chances are I’ll sell my Utopias now. The Susvaras came extremely close to their level of detail, but had much better instrument separation and soundstage. The downside being they are a pain in the arse to drive. The 820 and Susvara will make an excellent closed-back/open-back combo for me. I just have to figure out if I want to pick up another iCan for them or try something else with a small footprint that will work in my bedroom.

If anyone has recommendations that would be a good match with the Susvara and 820, would love to try some stuff out.

What amp are you using with the susvara

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,724 of 4,356

Small footprint and lot of power...
U should check Violectric V280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back