Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #196 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kudos for your contribution here!
By the way everyone, if plastic were such a superior material for controlling "unwanted resonances" and necessary for state-of-the-art headphones, has somebody bothered to tell Ultrasone this? I guess Sony got it all wrong with the R10 as well.

Ultrasone? Oh, please.

Sony's R10? The ear cups are wood and foam, the magnesium is used in the headband assembly, and hangers.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #197 of 902
Plastic in cars like Porsche and Ferrari is mainly to reduce weight. Weight is an important issue for headphones as well. It doesn´t look that good but really high quality plastics is very durable. Carbon fibre is not and Aluminium get scratches very easilly. Titanium well you can imagine the costs... Of course they save money as well but so it benefits both them and us? Would they lower their profit by adding more metal no they would increase the price even more.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #198 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kudos for your contribution here!
By the way everyone, if plastic were such a superior material for controlling "unwanted resonances" and necessary for state-of-the-art headphones, has somebody bothered to tell Ultrasone this? I guess Sony got it all wrong with the R10 as well.

ahhh... I give up....Why bother trying to bring some actual science...

So the real truth is: Sennheiser used plastic to upset all those who consider it a cheap material (even though there are so many grades of it). Actually, they especially wanted to upset those who can't afford the HD800 at its current MSRP and wanted to make sure such people understand that Sennheiser is here to gouge everybody with this latest release.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #199 of 902
Just to make clear, are we really sure they are painted?

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #200 of 902
robm321 says,

"Who wears their headphones out in public to look good? No one I know - it's usually behind closed doors and no non audio enthusiast is going to be impressed by how good someones (sic) headphones look - speakers maybe, but headphones - are you serious?"

I'm very serious.

I don't wear my headphones out in public. Not to look good, not to look bad. Indeed, I wear them behind closed doors. Absolutely no one except my wife sees me wear them, and then not often.

And yet the Sennheiser HD800's looks displease me. Me. They offend my aesthetic sensibilities. I do not like the way that they look. Putting them on will be off-putting, so to speak. I wish that they could have had better, cleaner styling. The way that they look makes me feel bad. They look like old Sonys, the SA5000. Since when is copying a loser, and an antiquated one at that, a good idea?

Why are you talking "fashion" here, or about how other people might perceive them, or about "impressing"? The real issue is, for many of us, whether or not they have an artistic, classy design, as perceived by us, the wearers and end users, and us alone, in the privacy of our own rooms.

Wearers of headphones are not androids devoid of feeling. We want something that both sounds good and looks good. For us. Alone. As sentient, complete packages, as whole human beings.

BTW, I've pre-ordered the HD800 and look forward to the sound. I wish that I could look forward to looking at them and having them in my home, sound aside!

((It's at this point that people say that the HD800 "look better in person," which is like saying, "Yes, she's a dog, but she cooks well and has money and doesn't smell too bad up close." It's also at this point that people say that the HD800 probably look the way that they do because they "have to" in order to sound good, which I sincerely doubt, but is slightly more plausible, since you can't argue with an engineer.
beerchug.gif
))

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #201 of 902
*** guys.

When did we become so serious about the design of high-end headphones?

HD800s are clearly aiming to us headphiles who care the sound quality the most, not others.

IF you think HD800s look bad, then Grados are just trash for you; look at GS-1000, RS, HP and other expansive ones.

I personally had MS-1 and SR-225 and my first thought after saw these headphones in person was "Wow, they look like 10 bucks cans!"

Show GS1000 to your non-headphile friends and try to convince them that they are 1000$ phones. I bet you will have very hard time convincing them.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #202 of 902
MS-1 and SR-225 look retro if anything. It's true that if somebody saw them for the first time they probably wouldn't know how much they're really worth, however I don't think anyone would argue they look bad. They have very clean and simple lines that please the eye.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #203 of 902
Luckily I am among those who think the HD800 looks quite nice.
A non-plastic build would be even nicer, but I don't care that much.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #204 of 902
I think all Grados look cheap, like the throw ins included with portable players - while the HP-1 looks a little less cheap than all the rest. And, yes, I owned some 325i, for the length of time it took me to sell them, about 3 days, IIRC.

So, yes, I can say unequivocably that the Grado line has a 'look' (=bad) that would cause me to never part $$$ (or even $) for.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #205 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They look like old Sonys, the SA5000. Since when is copying a loser, and an antiquated one at that, a good idea?

FYI SA5000 is not that old, it was introduced in 2006. And careful with calling them loser, there are many people here, myself included, having high respect for these cans.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #206 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you talking "fashion" here, or about how other people might perceive them, or about "impressing"? The real issue is, for many of us, whether or not they have an artistic, classy design, as perceived by us, the wearers and end users, and us alone, in the privacy of our own rooms.

I still think your description of the design as "high prole" is hilarious, and I partially agree.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #207 of 902
I haven't read the entire thread so excuse me if this has been brought up, but are we even certain about their construction? I recall some of the same complaints about the SA5000 which listed for half the HD800's MSRP. Turns out their "painted plastic" is actually magnesium.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #208 of 902
O.K. I need to address the many posts who think that this discussion is about "fashion". This discussion is about industrial design and that's all. There are many objects that we live with day-to-day that are perfect incarnations of industrial design that have nothing to do with fashion. For instance; the paper clip, the zipper, and the stapler. Yes, a headphone is arguably more complicated than the objects I have mentioned, but it is the job of the industrial designer to approach all projects with rigor and criticality. That is what this discussion is about and it is all stated in the opening post.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #210 of 902
I am one of those that think they look quite good, depending from what angle, and they continue to grow on me. I do not understand what there is to moan about really. At least not yet. Most of us haven't even seen them or felt them in real life. I am just really happy that someone are willing to spend so much money and research into such a niche product that a $1400 headphone is.
I would be surprised if Sennheiser expect to earn a lot on this project. I also believe Sennheiser knew what they did when they decided on the materials for the can, and hopefully they will be sturdy enough for many years of normal use.
...oh well, back to the plastic discussion.

and... are they really painted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back