Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jan 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #287 of 902
I think you need to expand your argument, davidhunter. Cars have plastic pieces that are painted to look like metal.

Therefore, I think you should consider that anything that is painted should be metal. I.E. a red Ferrari has some plastic pieces (i.e. the bumper) that are painted red. These are meant to be indistinguishable from the other metal parts. If I'm dropping over 200k on a Ferrari, shouldn't that concern me? I guess how fast the car goes is irrelevant if it uses plastic.

Also, the IQ of the consumer must somehow be put into your equation. Assuming someone is going to pay a lump sum of money for something, their "eye" should be able to realize the texture of something, and therefore determine if it is plastic and/or metal. We could assume that IQ increases with the amount someone is willing to pay for a product. More research may be necessary to support this claim.

Should the brand of paint be put into consideration? Some brands of paint may be more realistic than others. I'm not sure.

Working together we can achieve an equation to fit every circumstance. Perhaps we can put it into a petition and get people to sign it, and send it off to anyone who manufactures paints plastic products. The sky is the limit. The world is ours to annoy!

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #288 of 902
First of all Olblueyez, thank you for your considered response to my statement. This forum is supposed to be a dialog about headphones while responding to others with consideration and respect. I think pink does signify "lady" and blue does signify "man". If someone chose to paint their car pink or blue, this would be a reflection of the gender of the owner, however, and not the car itself. One would not look at a pink Ferrari and confuse the automobile for being a female. I would argue too that blue on an automobile is less gender specific because blue, for instance, is also the color of the sky which doesn't have a gender.

Also, I think that paint on the outside of a car is a different discussion altogether. In fact, plastic could be argued to be a great material on the outside of car because of its ability to absorb impacts and resist dents. Saturn used to think so. Also, the body of a car has long been considered a surface on which to express ones desires. It is far more like a canvas and use decoratively. Though I wouldn't want to have a car with flames painted on it, I appreciate it for what it is and isn't. Also, I have said in my opening post that plastic is the material of the 20th century and I highly respect it. It is only when it is used as a simulation of something else that I have a problem with it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #289 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh immtbiker, I could on if you want. Let it go immtbiker. Let it go.

smile.gif
I'll try.

Quote:

I think pink does signify "lady" and blue does signify "man". If someone chose to paint their car pink or blue, this would be a reflection of the gender of the owner, however, and not the car itself.

Being stereotypical.
What if you're gay?
Can't a gay man have a pink Ferrari?

And based on that, what could you be saying about Bruce Springsteen? He loves a woman, just for her Pink Cadillac?

I love you for your pink Cadillac
Crushed velvet seats
Riding in the back
Oozing down the street
Waving to the girls
Feeling out of sight
Spending all my money
On a Saturday night
Honey I just wonder what you do there in back
Of your pink Cadillac
Pink Cadillac

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #290 of 902
Quote:

First of all Olblueyez, thank you for your considered response to my statement. This forum is supposed to be a dialog about headphones while responding to others with consideration and respect. I think pink does signify "lady" and blue does signify "man". If someone chose to paint their car pink or blue, this would be a reflection of the gender of the owner, however, and not the car itself. One would not look at a pink Ferrari and confuse the automobile for being a female. I would argue too that blue on an automobile is less gender specific because blue, for instance, is also the color of the sky which doesn't have a gender.

Also, I think that paint on the outside of a car is a different discussion altogether. In fact, plastic could be argued to be a great material on the outside of car because of its ability to absorb impacts and resist dents. Saturn used to think so. Also, the body of a car has long been considered a surface on which to express ones desires. It is far more like a canvas and use decoratively. Though I wouldn't want to have a car with flames painted on it, I appreciate it for what it is and isn't. Also, I have said in my opening post that plastic is the material of the 20th century and I highly respect it. It is only when used as a simulation of something else that I have a problem with it.

I was just trying to say that I think people know its plastic and that they expect it to be plastic and that Senn painted it for cosmetic reasons and not to fool anyone.

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #291 of 902
This could start a nice long 75 page thread based upon color of paint or lack of. Actually, this is the antithesis, which should bother some, even more:

palace12.jpg

Don't believe this Audi A8 is in the silver color, but it is made from SILVER

palace13.jpg

Not like Saudi Prince Waleed's the 38th car--a diamonds-studded SL-Class 550 Mercedes Benz which is worth US$4,800,000, the price of the Audi A8 here is not known

I would think this has to be Silver Plated. How much would this car weigh if it was made out of pure silver, unless the chassis is 1/8 the thickness of a normal Audi. Either way.

Check this out...it's amazing:

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin23sultanspalace.htm

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #293 of 902
To confuse matters, here is a use of plastic that I respect. This is a snowman blowmold. It is not trying to being anything else other than a fake snowman and it is totally kitsch. It is completely ornamental and a perfect example of frivolity.

2gv0eow.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #294 of 902
Is it possible Senn wanted to separate the 800 from the 5 and 6 series headphones as much as possible, especially since the price is 1400? If that were the case then what 2 colors are predominate in stereo equipment? Black and Silver?

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #295 of 902
I agree that Senn is trying to distinguish the HD800 from their other lower tiered lines. But I think any person who's willing to spend $1400 on a pair of headphone would already be quite well informed in this field.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #296 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that Senn is trying to distinguish the HD800 from their other lower tiered lines. But I think any person who's willing to spend $1400 on a pair of headphone would already be quite well informed in this field.

Which is why its ridiculous to sit and think that Senn thought to themselves "We can paint it silver and people will think its metal". I like everything about them except the connectors.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #297 of 902
this thread is pretty much made of fail.

I agree with the desire to have consumer electronics made of metal. It feels and looks nicer, it's more durable, lasts longer and exudes an air of quality and care put into the construction.

But why on earth would you want something that sits on your head to be made of something heavy? My neck muscles are throbbing just thinking about it.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #298 of 902
I do not have a problem with silver and black stereo equipment. In fact, I find those colors elegant. Let me put in another way. Let's say you had a McIntosh amplifier that really bespoke of its industrial design pedigree. All silver, bold, and beautiful. Then you reached for that big old knob to turn up the volume only to discover that it was made out of silver plastic. Wouldn't you be upset? It feels so thin and insubstantial in the hand. Wouldn't you rather have a big old-fashioned stainless steel knob? Heavy, weighty, something reflecting the behemoth amplifier? Yes, the HD800 is a different animal. It is supposed to feel comfortable on the head, be relatively light weight, and be priced to sell. I acknowledge that compromises had to be made. It is the designers job to work within those contraints but I believe there are a myriad of other options that could have been used. I have convictions and I will not back down from them. I have said elsewhere however that, "convictions are a luxury for those on the sidelines." I very well know that I am not only on the sidelines but I am completely out of the loop. I only wish I could work with the Sennheiser engineers and designers but I can not. I am left to speaking my mind here. Fair enough I think.

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #299 of 902
Quote:

I do not have a problem with silver and black stereo equipment. In fact, I find those colors elegant. Let me put in another way. Let's say you had a McIntosh amplifier that really bespoke of its industrial design pedigree. All silver, bold, and beautiful. Then you reached for that big old knob to turn up the volume only to discover that it was made out of silver plastic. Wouldn't you be upset? It feels so thin and insubstantial in the hand. Wouldn't you rather have a big old-fashioned stainless steel knob? Heavy, weighty, something reflecting the behemoth amplifier? Yes, the HD800 is a different animal. It is supposed to feel comfortable on the head, be relatively light weight, and be priced to sell. I acknowledge that compromises had to be made. It is the designers job to work within those contraints but I believe there are a myriad of other options that could have been used. I have convictions and I will not back down from them. I have said elsewhere however that, "convictions are a luxury for those on the sidelines." I very well know that I am not only on the sidelines but I am completely out of the loop. I only wish I could work with the Sennheiser engineers and designers but I can not. I am left to speaking my mind here. Fair enough I think.

So it would be natural or black if you had some input?

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #300 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread is pretty much made to fail.

I agree with the desire to have consumer electronics made of metal. It feels and looks nicer, it's more durable, lasts longer and exudes an air of quality and care put into the construction.

But why on earth would you want something that sits on your head to be made of something heavy? My neck muscles are throbbing just thinking about it.

You know someone else mentioned that the AKG 701/702 had a very nice use of metal and plastic. I agree. Also, just as plastics have advanced in technology, so have metals. Did you know that you could now buy a full-sized bicycle frame made out of titanium that weighs just 2 pounds? Metals these days can be featherweight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back