Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jan 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #256 of 902
^^^ Yes, it is true, you didn't hype the Leona plastic on the HD800. You pretty much just reiterated what is in the Sennhesier brochure. For you to come out and state your opinions whether or not the silver painted plastic is good or poor design would be another matter.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #257 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Yes, it is true, you didn't hype the Leona plastic on the HD800. You pretty much just reiterated what is in the Sennhesier brochure. For you to come out and state your opinions whether or not the silver painted plastic is good or poor design would be another matter.

I quoted *exactly* what was in the brochure.

The information was that it was not just any old plastic but chosen for its properties.

Whether it works for you, only you can say if and when you listen to the headphones.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #258 of 902
Whether it "works" for me or not isn't the issue. If it turns out to be a brilliant headphone, based on sound quality alone, I would love to purchase it. The issue is whether or not using silver spray-painted plastic on the HD800 was an appropriate design decision, especially considering its $1400 price tag. I say, no.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #259 of 902
Quote:

Whether it "works" for me or not isn't the issue. If it turns out to be a brilliant headphone, based on sound quality alone, I would love to purchase it. The issue is whether or not using silver spray-painted plastic on the HD800 was an appropriate design decision, especially considering its $1400 price tag. I say, no.

Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

Look at those. First one is 1700$, later one is 2000$.... Those prices are the cheapest one you can find. Yes, prices are without amplifiers.

Going into cheaper we can find even uglier ones like this.

Now look back HD800s

Sennheiser HD 800 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Compared to them, Senn HD800s just crush them in design department, and HD800s are cheaper (1400$) and do not require special amplifier (no need of an electrostatic amp) to use! Plus they have potential to be the world's best headphones we ever encounter!

But, there are so many people loving their ugly STAX headphones. There are tons of people who love Grados.

All I want to say is, while good design can be a nice plus, most people who seek the audio gears in this price range usually focus solely on sound quality (and comfort.)

To me, my greatest concern is comfort... especially earpads. They use Alcantara for the pads, and I wonder if they are as breathable as those of HD6xx.

If the headphones' design is ugly as hell, we still can wear them but look funny.

If the headphones are uncomfortable, we can't wear them.

I wonder which one is worse.

To say, there are many beautiful phones, beautiful enough to justify the high prices. But the problems I have with them are that they are so uncomfortable with terrible pads (pleather/leather/-ish the most offending ones) that I just can't wear them more than 20 minutes.

Really, headphones are for wearing and listening, and those are the headphones' jobs. I'd say design is the least concern, since so many headphone manufacturers just can't do those two primary objective properly, yet.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #260 of 902
Silver spray-painted plastic has nothing to do with comfort or sound quality. Silver spray-painted plastic should not have ever been chosen for the HD800. There are a myriad of options for designers to choose where they do not have to compromise sound quality for build quailty.

[If anything, at least I am consistent.]

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #261 of 902
Quote:

Silver spray-painted plastic has nothing to do with comfort or sound quality. Silver spray-painted plastic should not have ever been chosen for the HD800. There are a myriad of options for designers to choose where they do not have to compromise sound quality for build quailty.

[If anything, at least I am consistent.]

Since we're just continually repeating ourselves here, I'll contribute again. The term "spray painted" seems to imply that is applied with a can or spray paint. Not knowing for sure how the color is applied, but knowing how it is done in the industry, I can surmise from holding it my hands and checking it out, it is not laid on thick with a standard wet coated process. Could very well be a urethane two part paint, or probably enamel based with it "baked" in afterwards. (seeing as how acrylic based painted are no longer allowed in the industry as a whole) Either way, I much prefer that more durable silver finish over a gloss clear coat type "wet" application that is prone to flaking and chipping off like with the HD600.

Leaving it raw would've meant an all matte black finish which would look like crap, IMO.

-Ed

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #262 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look at those. First one is 1700$, later one is 2000$.... Those prices are the cheapest one you can find. Yes, prices are without amplifiers.

Going into cheaper we can find even uglier ones like this.

If you think these three headphones are ugly, I would have to say that you are in the minority, in the Head-Fi crowd.

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #265 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think these three headphones are ugly, I would have to say that you are in the minority, in the Head-Fi crowd.

What I am representing is average joe's view. None of my non-headphile friends think they are not ugly.

My favorite headphone for design is Koss A250..... I think this tells the answer to your post.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #269 of 902
If you dont like the looks then dont buy it.
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #270 of 902
Quote:

Actually Arnaud answered this in another thread by linking to the mechanical properties of Leona plastic - just look at his post HERE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back