Sennheiser HD800: Spray Painted Plastic and the New Acid-Washed Jeans.
Jan 25, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #271 of 902
I think it would look better if they used the same colors as the HD650.
But still,if I could afford one,I'd still get one.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #272 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a professional SATA automobile spray gun to make my paintings. I can twist the words around as much as I like, but in the end, they are still spray-painted.

Are we going to have to whip out our Industrial Design eWeen's here?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #273 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Arnaud answered this in another thread by linking to the mechanical properties of Leona plastic - just look at his post HERE.

Yes, I am very aware of what Arnaud said and I responded to the post.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #274 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you comparing a company that uses marketing ploys and low priced materials, to a company that has tried it's darndest to produce high quality, time tested products?
confused_face(1).gif

Am not. Bose is actually not bad, with their pricing not good either (out of boredom, I'd checkout their prices and start to giggle lolwth). Senn is however a different matter, I believe they are genuine with the R&D and reasonable with most of their pricing (re PX100 for $30) BUT $1,400 is just too much to ask these days, unless your richie rich or simply a freakin' die hard headphone geek then you can justify this kind of investment. Until now some sigs here send shivers down my spine, seeing their can collection and "wallet damages". This hobby is just crazy (in a good manner
biggrin.gif
). I mean don't you guys listen to real speakers at all?

noob here
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #275 of 902
I'm sure they'll sound fabulous, but I really don't like how they look at all. They look like they could be Coby or some such cheap brand.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #276 of 902
noahlapuz, I stand proud to say that I've owned a pair of Bose 901's series IV's (which 12 years later were replaced by Series VI's for $300 S&H
biggrin.gif
, due to a known defect in their polypropylene drivers) for 17 years.
Then I learned that there were dozens of speakers that sounded better for $1600 and never looked back.

However, to say that $1400 is too much to ask these days, is, as I responded to Towert7 in a previous post, more a matter of needs and desire, than known truth or fact.
We have no idea how much the cost to design and manufacturer, not yet anyway.
Even though most of our lives have changed dramatically due to the current economic crisis (me included with a laid-off wife for 8 months and now she is working for almost half her previous pay, elsewhere) I still see plenty of people still purchasing new Porsche's, BMW's and Mercedes.

It's all a matter of perspective, priority and financial abilities.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #277 of 902
O.K., let me see if I can summarize my position one more time. Design is a form of communication. Sennheiser chose to spray-paint their Leona plastic silver so what is that meant to communicate? Metal. Silver spray-painted plastic is a simulation of metal. It is not being true to the material. Sennheiser could have chosen to simulate bamboo or zebra stripes, so why didn't they do this? I think most people would agree that this is a contradiction to the material and they would not purchase the HD800. So if bamboo stripes and zebra stripes are not acceptable simulations, than why is metal an acceptable simulation? My guess is that it is just so prevalent and ubiquitous that people just don't question it any more. The same held true for acid-washed jeans in the 80's. I am hoping that someday that this will change. Furthermore, $1400 is a lot of money for a headphone and some design choices could have been made differently to reinforce the statement of Sennheiser's top-of-line product. The Sony R10 and the Qualia 010 did not compromise their build quality. Of course I realize that $1400 is a lower price point than the aforementioned headphones and that compromises had to be made. I believe these compromises could have been made while still respecting the integrity of the materials. This isn't just about the HD800. This is about electronics in general.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #278 of 902
gaythread.jpg

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #279 of 902
Quote:

O.K., let me see if I can summarize my position one more time.

[size=medium]OMG[/size]
deadhorse.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #281 of 902
I just found out that Ferrari's have paint on them. No way I'm going to buy one now.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #285 of 902
Quote:

The paint on a Ferrari isn't a simulation of something else. Silver paint on electronic equipment is supposed to fool the eye into believing that it is made out of metal even though it is not.

But it were pink for the ladies and blue for the men then you wouldn't have a problem right? I think Senn did this to achieve a certain look, not to deceive anyone, surely anyone who has purchased a Senn product knows what kind of materials to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back