Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #6,017 of 8,697
Single ended option I'd recommend (currently using) would be Lake People G111.
Powers them with ease and is weighty, neutral and transparent, to my ears at least...
Seems to be available for just under $500.
Also built like a tank.
I agree with this one. I have the Lake People RS02 it should be in the same ballpark. If you want a taste of high end audio it scales really well with the qutest/hugo 2 dac.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #6,018 of 8,697
I'd have possibbly gone for that amp had it been available at the time.
Anyway with mine, once the pre gain has been changed inside (only needed to do it once) the pairing with the HD 800S and a turntable has been most satisfying.
The HD 800S responding well to the transparency of the amp.

Oct 3, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6,019 of 8,697
Thinking of selling my pair, but the black paint on the corner edge of the headband swivel assembly has exposed a tiny amount of the plastic underneath. There's no actual physical damage, just the paint has scuffed away by 1mm, if that. What would be a good touch-up pen to cover this?

I would, of course, point this out to any prospective buyer - there are some of us left :)

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #6,020 of 8,697
I found an EQ Plugin for foobar that has an analogue and/or digital filter, it actually works quite well for the orginal HD800.

Using the analogue settings it adds a tube sound or subtle warmth.

You can see for the 6k peak I only need to lower it about -0.65db and its suitable for my preferences using RME-ADI-2 headphone out.

I'll leave link to the plug-in but keep in mind the devs don't support it anymore and it can make foobar crash a bit.

From the plug-in manual

"The algorithm ‘Analog’ is based on a real analog circuit and thus it delivers a subtle warmth. Its counterpart is the algorithm ‘Digital’ which delivers a more transparent sound"

Link: https://www.pcjv.de/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/

Capture.PNG

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #6,021 of 8,697
When you read people talking about "EQing" the HD800S, is that just adjusting the EQ of whatever app/source is supply music to the HD800S? I saw something about the Harman EQ and wondered if this is something I download to FooBar or something like that?

Secondly, I read recently that a reviewer I like and trust uses his HD800S for gaming and considers it cost aside the best headphones for that. I then did a search and found loads of other people saying similar things. I was wondering what I pair the HD800S with for gaming? I have a Crack Amp with Speedball, a BiFrost, a Liquid Carbon X on the way, and I also have a GSX 1000 gaming Amp/DAC Surround thingy, and wondered if any of those would be good enough?

Sorry for the Dumby questions.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #6,022 of 8,697
I use the EQ built into my RME DAC. Foobar has plugins and so do some other music players.

The Speedball Crack out to be great for these cans. I don't know about the other ones.

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #6,023 of 8,697
i have have only ever tried the magni 3 amp, and the monoprice thx amp/dac combo unit which i got recently which i use as my main amp and dac now as i needed something with a built in eq so i could use eq even when i connect my headphones to my ps4 and Nintendo switch

i would recommend that highly since it has a built in eq feature and the only other unit i know of that has a built in eq is the adi dac that costs way more

with the built in eq, i use the hd 800 s now as my main headphone for everything now, even edm/dance music which is the genre i listen to mostly and i think it has the right amount of bass now with the eq

here are my eq settings on the thx dac which you can try in the peace eq software on your pc to see if you like it

i based my eq on the harman target eq for the hd 800 s which i found online and i left out the eq for the mids that it called for and added the peakfilter at 10000hz to bring the treble down even more then what it called for, and i use these settings for all music and gaming but i turn all eq off for the classical genre that i ocasionally listen too

low shelf eq for bass at 120hz at +5.5 db

high shelf eq for treble at 9000hz at -6db

peakfilter eq at 5500 at -6db with q of 4

peakfilter at 7800hz at -2 db with q of 5

peakfilter at 10000hz at -4 db with q of 1.5

and for reference i also own the lcd2 classic, but i dont use them anymore since they are a bit too heavy and bulky for me and are not as good for gaming as the hd 800 s is, and i play all sorts of games, not just competitive games like call of duty for example, like currently i am playing ghost of tsushima for ps4 and every game i have tried so far its clear the hd 800 s are better if it matters to you

Hey mate, I noticed you are using your HD800s while playing Ghosts of Tsushima. I've just fired the game up after a 1mnth break and wanted to ask, are you using the regular headphone option, or headphone (3d audio)? I completely forgot about the 3d audio option until this morning. Just curious on your thoughts after playing a while, as they both sound great, although regular headphone sounds a little bright

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #6,024 of 8,697
112.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 12.23.32 AM.jpeg

Hi guys, HD800s just arrived and first impressions are that I'm amazed how grand this thing sounds. It's my first time with open backs and do agree that the unit pairs really well with a tube amp (specifically Darkvoice 336SE) after looking at various options the page has recommended. Currently at the honeymoon stage and experimenting with EQ using EqualizerAPO + PEACE app for PC as my ears are a bit sensitive to sibilance on some tracks (but still manageable). So far, what an overall amazing package the headphone is, build quality is spot on, and sound + dynamics is amazing, I've never regretted a single minute of purchasing these cans.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #6,025 of 8,697
112.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 12.23.32 AM.jpeg
Hi guys, HD800s just arrived and first impressions are that I'm amazed how grand this thing sounds. It's my first time with open backs and do agree that the unit pairs really well with a tube amp (specifically Darkvoice 336SE) after looking at various options the page has recommended. Currently at the honeymoon stage and experimenting with EQ using EqualizerAPO + PEACE app for PC as my ears are a bit sensitive to sibilance on some tracks (but still manageable). So far, what an overall amazing package the headphone is, build quality is spot on, and sound + dynamics is amazing, I've never regretted a single minute of purchasing these cans.
I would like to hear the HD800s headphones on a tube amp. I auditioned it with a Chord Hugo 2 and I thought it was too bright and lacked bass.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #6,026 of 8,697
I would like to hear the HD800s headphones on a tube amp. I auditioned it with a Chord Hugo 2 and I thought it was too bright and lacked bass.

I've tried hooking these up on AK SP1000m DAP via USB DAC mode to PC and I could say similar impressions with the Hugo 2 (bright and lacked bass). Trying it on a tube amp gives a certain warmth and "hollow feeling" to the sound, kinda like speaking inside a glass or container. I know it's weird since I'm new to all this, but it is really a good thing. I haven't heard this type of signature before. Even playing songs with electric guitars on distortion effects gives me the chills, it's sound very real and accurate.

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #6,027 of 8,697

Yes it is too bright and lacks bass.
That's the HD800/s.
If you are going to use a modern tube amp with a reference kind of dac the results are going to be the same.
If you are going to use an old style bloomy and distorted tube amp then it is going to be a little more full.

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #6,028 of 8,697
There is no lack of bass on a pair of 800s. What they lack is overemphasized bass people are used to from cheap headphones and EQ abuse :wink:

Oct 13, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #6,029 of 8,697
Low frequency extension on HD800S is about 45Hz.
They lack about 3dB of low bass.
So they are surely not "bass light" but not the best out there in absolute numbers.
You are surely not going to miss bass but they will sound bass light due to the high frequency boost.
Sold them both....
The Clears that are the same price point and surely not cheapo sounding , have better low frequency extension , better sub bass and slam.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #6,030 of 8,697
I don't know that there is one headphone that excels in everything. We can all agree the 800/800S is not a basshead headphone. It's not intended for that. If I want low frequency extension I guess the LCD-2C will have it and slam a lot harder than Clears or any dynamic.

If I listen to cello concertos, stand-up bass, kettle drums etc. on a pair of 800s it sounds exactly like it should.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back