Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #6,031 of 8,802
Nobody suggested that there is only one perfect headphone that excels at everything :wink:

And the only reason to reply here was to warn new owner's not to expect that they can change the HD800 (or any other headphone) with gear rolling.
At least in my humble opinion.

Then it is perfectly understood that some people may like their HD800 and others their LCD or even both!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #6,032 of 8,802
Nobody suggested that there is only one perfect headphone that excels at everything :wink:

And the only reason to reply here was to warn new owner's not to expect that they can change the HD800 (or any other headphone) with gear rolling.
At least in my humble opinion.

Then it is perfectly understood that some people may like their HD800 and others their LCD or even both!
I agree, gear rolling will not change the essence of anything. In some cases a good match can help a lot though.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #6,034 of 8,802
hey guys, I'm planning to buy one of those two headphones: HD 800s and HIFIMAN Arya, I'll be powering them with a Jotunheim amp and multibit DAC, I listen to everything, from techno to black metal and MPB to Jazz. Wich one should I get?

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #6,038 of 8,802
Search for hifi shops in whatever part of Florida you can visit.

Or check manufacturer's websites for dealers in Florida. Not so difficult :)

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #6,039 of 8,802
For those of you who needed to replace the headband pads, how long did your original headband last? Mine are getting thin along the edges and there's black material flaking off. I got my HD800s in 2016, used, from another head-fier who bought them in late 2015.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #6,042 of 8,802
Yeah, it's apparently a common problem. Nobody's making aftermarket headband pads either.

I think you can get an original replacement for around £30. I bought a spare as directly from sennheiser as I was going to mod it to make it more comfortable. I never did get round to modding it though since I got used to the fit.

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #6,043 of 8,802
I think you can get an original replacement for around £30. I bought a spare as directly from sennheiser as I was going to mod it to make it more comfortable. I never did get round to modding it though since I got used to the fit.

Yeah headbands are cheap, if you compare that to the price of earpads. Either or, in my opinion the best material I've found for modding, but don't last relatively long (ie material elasticity depending on density inner used, more susceptible to dirt ingress, decay, etc.) Try to keep a habit of wiping down with a sanitiser wipe (thoroughly not vigorously, then soak water through. Blow dry on low heat until touch dry and then reset the plastic seal liner with a little 250deg. This is all, assuming you've turned your headband/earpads inside-out first, remove the earpad frame and experiment

And density mods need to be slightly larger than the diameter of the earpad frame (more important on outer side)to avoide too narrow a step in the earpads aesthetic profile from side-on. Next option im using is tried and trusted heat liner from my ski boots a season ago. I figure, its ideal material with sennheiser pads overtop, heated up via power, precisely to every contour, then let it settle. I find i need it to do this bc it's the only way to get a perfect seal. And pressure to the earcps ever so slightly makes a world of difference.

All aftermarket earpads sound a little, nah to much colouring and making an original, wide expansive soumdstage, smaller.

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #6,044 of 8,802
So I bought a replacement headband pad from Soundspares, in the UK. Shipping to Canada was surprisingly cheap - having anything to do with Europe is usually expensive as hell, but not this time. Turns out, Sennheiser doesn't have any in stock, so ordering direct from them is a no-go. What in the world is going on with that company right now?

Oct 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #6,045 of 8,802
if a game offers a headphone mode, i generally always use that, and thats what i use in this game, even in pc games which i play more the console i use that mode if its offered as from testing it seems to offer a 3d audio mode designed for headphones (like dolby atmos for headphones) and sometimes even a bit of crossover i noticed

for what its worth, i asked a simalr question on multiple sites and the general answer seemd to be always to enable headphone mode if available

also from what i remember, if you dont use headphone mode, then the ps4 controler will play sounds wheich you most liekly wont notice since you have headphones on, and with headphone mode enabled, the ps4 controler no longer does that if i recall and i think it plays the same sounds instead through the headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back