Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 11, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #3,901 of 8,813
I plug hd800s into samsung note8.
I try 1st time and find out that those sample are not masterpiece quality.
And, all of them is not familiar to me. That make difficult to point out what is what.
Example some sample when I select what I think/hear less distortion, it is 128 sample. Wav sample is more distort, but it is result.
So, I test again with my "adjustment" : that sample, for choose correct uncompress, I will base on more distort.
Below pic is the sample had wrong result 1st. But then 10 times later I choose correct sample quickly what is 128, 320 and uncomp in order.
Screenshot_20181111-140811_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very first second 128kbps left a longer tail. So 320 and uncomp remain. 4second later, uncomp has more depth on piano than 320.
(I was thought this tail as "more detail", as a "content" of instrument bcs I never heard)

I think that is some reason for case someone can feel the difference but can not point out what is what.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #3,902 of 8,813
Hello. I am going to buy a new pair of headphones, and i have been looking at the HD800S or the LCD2C. And my questions are simple, are the DB levels on the HD800s sufficient? I do like to pump up the volume sometimes, for that perfect song. And i love bass. Will they kneel and sound like someone is farting in my ears? I listen to basicly any kind of music, but i got Dance/House and electronic as my main.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3,903 of 8,813
Hello. I am going to buy a new pair of headphones, and i have been looking at the HD800S or the LCD2C. And my questions are simple, are the DB levels on the HD800s sufficient? I do like to pump up the volume sometimes, for that perfect song. And i love bass. Will they kneel and sound like someone is farting in my ears? I listen to basicly any kind of music, but i got Dance/House and electronic as my main.
If you're looking for bassy headphones look away from these. The bass sounds good. But it doesnt hit hard at all. They are analytical headphones not really fun or musical. I love them but for what you want they arent going to fulfill

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #3,904 of 8,813
If you're looking for bassy headphones look away from these. The bass sounds good. But it doesnt hit hard at all. They are analytical headphones not really fun or musical. I love them but for what you want they arent going to fulfill

Just as i tought :frowning2:

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #3,906 of 8,813

Agreed.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #3,907 of 8,813
If i were you id look into the new zmf aeolus or if you dont mind closed back. Pick up zmf Atticus or eikon

Thanks for the suggestions, but wood is out of the picture. btw, are you running your HD800S balanced?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #3,909 of 8,813
Go and take SR1 of ibasso.
It may suit for you!
ill take a look, ty.. But, lets compare bass. has anyone of you heard Sony Mdr-z7? I like the bass in those, but i dont like the soundstage. Are the Hd800s even comparable to those, when it comes to bass.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #3,910 of 8,813
Got my HD800S today, and am now listening to them for the first time. My initial impression is that they're world class, A+. More to follow after I've spent more time with them and compared with other headphones.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #3,911 of 8,813
ill take a look, ty.. But, lets compare bass. has anyone of you heard Sony Mdr-z7? I like the bass in those, but i dont like the soundstage. Are the Hd800s even comparable to those, when it comes to bass.

No the bass quantity of the Sony Z7 is substantially greater than that of the HD800S (personally I find it’s bass rather bloated). However the quality of bass (from a technical point of view, (texture, response and articulation) is much better from the HD800S. Honestly I don’t think that the HD800S is the right headphone for your based on your preferences described.

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #3,912 of 8,813
Like the responses you got so far, HD800S is not what you’re looking for.
Fact that you like Sony Mdr-z7, then you will hit a winner with Sony Mdr-z1r. Tha soundstage is great and the bass even better than z7.

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #3,913 of 8,813
SR1 has bass as denon D2000, solid, depth and full.
To compare, quantity is more than hd800s at low end but detail bass is less than(sub + bass + upper bass) and less natively too.
Some track make my ear pressed by increase of atmosphere (like have no way for air exhause out from space inside this hp)
Sound stage, bass focus as a close hp, other area of sound is wide near close approach 800s.

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3,914 of 8,813
Like the responses you got so far, HD800S is not what you’re looking for.
Fact that you like Sony Mdr-z7, then you will hit a winner with Sony Mdr-z1r. Tha soundstage is great and the bass even better than z7.

I wont be hitting a winner with the Sony unfortunatly, it lacks mid's when it comes to vocals. There is a huge gap in the soundstage. But thanks for all the replies and opinions, i will see if i can get to hear the HD800s and compare them myself. I guess you cant get everything you want from 1 pair of headphones.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #3,915 of 8,813
Got my HD800S today, and am now listening to them for the first time. My initial impression is that they're world class, A+. More to follow after I've spent more time with them and compared with other headphones.

I've now listened to the HD800S for a couple days, with a variety of genres and tracks, but no back to back comparisons with other headphones yet.

My impression at this point is that the HD800S is a supremely honest and truthful headphone, with reference-quality accuracy of tonal balance and a ton of detail and resolution due to the lack of distortion.

The downside of this is that, if a recording isn't good -- too much sizzle, too much bass, anemic bass, distortion in the recording process, etc. -- the HD800S will do it's job and reveal those flaws. On the other hand, when the recording quality is good -- which is the majority of what I listen to -- the HD800S is supremely good, and perhaps better than anything else I've heard.

So I'm seeing the HD800S as a top choice for audiophiles who listen to audiophile-quality recordings, rather than a general purpose headphone intended to mask or compensate for the flaws of flawed recordings, at the expense of making good recordings sound not as good as they potentially can. I don't think any headphone can both provide reference-level quality for good recordings and make bad recordings sound less bad, because those are contradictory goals and they require different designs.

With quality recordings, the HD800S allows the music to come through transparently and vividly, which makes for a highly musical and addictive listening experience.

More to follow after I listen more, but right now I'm absolutely loving this headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back