Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 15, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,917 of 8,777
A question to those 800S owners who also own or have experience with the HD650: I have a chance of getting one for around £200, have never heard them , would you say they are a complement to the 800S, ie are there reasons for me to own both ?
I listen to a wide variety of music not always necessarily well recorded

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,918 of 8,777
A question to those 800S owners who also own or have experience with the HD650: I have a chance of getting one for around £200, have never heard them , would you say they are a complement to the 800S, ie are there reasons for me to own both ?
I had 650 then 800s, on comparison I never felt the need to use 650 again. If the sound stage on 650 was like a rulers length, 30cm, Hd800s was more like 1m.
Although now I wish I had a bit more variety as I only have 1 headphone and 1 earphone.

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #3,919 of 8,777

I'd say yes, they're very different sounding headphones.

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #3,921 of 8,777
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #3,923 of 8,777
Can't comment on HD650, but for me there is no reason to keep HD660S other than using them at my workplace. I like HD800S better in every way and with every kind of music except poorly recorded ones.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #3,924 of 8,777
Same for me with the HD650 – I use and enjoy the HD650 for watching TV, but would not use it for music since for that I have the HD800S. It's nice to have more than one pair of headphones that I like, of course. And the HD650 could easily serve as the only headphone (unless one gets to try a HD800S...).

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #3,925 of 8,777
Thanks everyone
Waiting to find out the serial nr of the 650 before I make a final decision.
I am thoroughly happy with my 800S, I find it quite amazing and so detailed that at times it challenges my ability to process all the musical information at once, but at times when I m using my Hugo for watching a movie or show with my partner , it would help to have two decent headphones. Also I d find it easier to transport if I go for a long trip- the 800 is treated with cotton gloves and never leaves my room :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #3,926 of 8,777
Thanks everyone
Waiting to find out the serial nr of the 650 before I make a final decision.
I am thoroughly happy with my 800S, I find it quite amazing and so detailed that at times it challenges my ability to process all the musical information at once, but at times when I m using my Hugo for watching a movie or show with my partner , it would help to have two decent headphones. Also I d find it easier to transport if I go for a long trip- the 800 is treated with cotton gloves and never leaves my room :)

"so detailed that at times it challenges my ability to process all the musical information at once"

IMO, that's an important factor to consider. A less detailed headphone can sometimes be better for listening to poorer recordings and/or for listening to background music where it's desirable that the music call less attention to itself.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #3,927 of 8,777
IMO, that's an important factor to consider. A less detailed headphone can sometimes be better for listening to poorer recordings and/or for listening to background music where it's desirable that the music call less attention to itself.

This is such a great point. These headphones shine with quality recordings, but really accentuate flaws in poor recordings, which sadly are in abundance in my collection. Having a less revealing set of cans for these recordings might be ideal. I've never considered that before.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #3,928 of 8,777
This is such a great point. These headphones shine with quality recordings, but really accentuate flaws in poor recordings, which sadly are in abundance in my collection. Having a less revealing set of cans for these recordings might be ideal. I've never considered that before.

Yup, with excellent recordings they shine, but they do make bad recordings bad. I have some files that are only found in mp3 format, and the 800S massacres them. Makes them unlistenable.

Last night I went back to a set of closed cans that I have, and those songs were now ok, plus they felt really comfy on my head compared to the 800S

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #3,929 of 8,777
The HD800S are pushing the limits of how well a headphone can resolve and present an enjoyable soundstage, especially since I upgraded to a Yggy A2. Before I put any more money into phones I would use the cash to set up a decent two channel speaker system using good active nearfield monitors like the Adam Audio A7X.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,930 of 8,777
Hello everybody,

Just recently got the HD800S' and was wondering if the Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier is a good match for them.. Has anyone used these 2 together? From what i've read so far, they seem to warm up the sound which is exactly what i'd want from these headphones, especially when listening to EDM (most of the songs have over-mastered highs which makes them sound poor).

Users who are viewing this thread

• jcn3
Back