1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by shabta, Jan 19, 2016.
First

Back
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
Next

Last
  1. TYATYA
    800s is one of (or the only) fastest and detail dynamic hp, but can not be a tie in comparision to TOTL stats. hp.
    Shure kse1500 makes 800s to be "blur"/veil sound. I havent listened to 009. From kes, I just guess about the result

2. Svatopluk
    I'm sure the HD800S exceeds in all-around value and durability. Plus, unlike the 009 and Utopia, the HD800S costs only half what a really nice set of speakers cost.

swspiers likes this.
  3. Phronesis
    Good album to hear what the HD800S can do: "Mediterraneamente" by Gianluigi Trovesi

llcook51 and swspiers like this.
  4. llcook51
    Great album. Thanks for the recommendation. The reeds are so clear...they float.

5. llcook51
    "AMELIA" from the Hejira -Album -- Joni Mitchell-- is also a great track to hear the best qualities of the 800S.

6. Phronesis
    Thanks, will check it out. I put Joni on a pedestal, one of the all-time greats for me. Currently listening to Jeff Beck's "performing this week … live at Ronnie Scott's" and blown away by how good it sounds with the HD800S.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  7. TYATYA
    How big and wide of hd800s prensenting this track!
    (If you curious, pls try it even though it is in non-English).

Listen to "Gui Em Chiec Non Bai Tho" in TIDAL
    Check out this track in TIDAL: "Gui Em Chiec Non Bai Tho" by Pham Phuong Thao http://tidal.com/track/66249201

Phronesis likes this.
  8. Nik74
    Another track that gives you a good indication of what the 800S can do if they are fed some good quality material is Robot Lovers by Casey Abrams. Somewhere around 2.05 the sax enters and the saxophonist is walking from right to left and back to the right in a slightly oval shaped trajectory several meters behind you and not only you can 'see' him behind you in 3d accuracy but the spatial cues from the rest of the room make you feel this is actually happening right here right now, I got spooked the first time I heard it!

ZappaMan likes this.
  9. Phronesis
    I enjoyed the whole album. I usually don't pay attention to lyrics anyway, so it being non-English isn't an issue for me (kind of a virtue actually). Such a beautiful voice, and I enjoy the melodic twists and turns, which sound alternately both familiar and unfamiliar to my westernized ears.

I too find the sense of image to be excellent with the HD800S, and the recording quality is very good overall, though to my ears the recording is just a *touch* on the bright side, and I sometimes notice a "sizzling" reverb on the high frequencies of her vocals on a few tracks (seems to be intentional). I'd be interested in how others perceive it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    TYATYA and llcook51 like this.
  10. llcook51
    The Sound of Surprise: Live at The Side Door, the new album by Mike Casey is a good solid jazz album for the 800S. Excellent highs on sax and deep lows on string bass. Drums add the snap.

11. Phronesis
    That's pretty cool. The effect for me is similar to what you described.

12. Nik74
    Try Moderat - Eating Hooks (NGHT DRPS Remix) if you are also into some more produced electronic music. This particular one has crazy height, one of the drum kicks sounds like it is actually coming from the ceiling. It's a great song too

ZappaMan likes this.
  13. ZappaMan
    Anyone have any eq profiles to warm up the sound of the Hd800s?

I drive them via hugo2, and am starting to think they are a bit bright. I’ve only had 650 before so I dont know too much about it. I use roon so can eq with that.

Your help appreciated !

14. llcook51
    The LP paired with the Sennheiser HD800S is "pure Platinum." The highs and the bass are incredible: crystal clear and impactful. Arturo Sandoval's trumpet rings like a bell. The latin drums are tight and upfront.

15. Whazzzup
    A good server solves all for hd800S, no eq necessary but whatever.

llcook51, ZappaMan and swspiers like this.
First

Back
254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263
265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274
Next

Last