Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,856 of 8,730
That is funny, the HD800S is nothing even close to Warmth. Let alone unnatural warmth. If there is anything unnatural about the 800S is the timbres, which is more directed toward references sounds to scope out the music and details, but the S does such a wonderful job to make it also enjoyable while doing so. It is neither boring nor musical, but enjoyable in a sense of staring into your music and seeing every details out of it.

I am not sure what anyone would mean about precision, at what aspects ? Timbres resolutions and realism ? Nope, far from it, and I would say 800 would be even further from it...lol!

Though, I hold 800S to be in a very high regard for many things done right and sound right. It is the only dynamic headphones that sound so close and similar to a Stax system in signature and presentations. I totally love it
Okay, when I compare the HD800S's bass to the HD800, I find it somewhat "indistinct", not clear or sharply defined in comparison to that of the HD800. In my opinion, both HD800 and Utopia surpass the HD800S in clarity when it comes to bass.

When it comes to all-around performance, comfort and bang for buck. The HD800S still outshines most anything on the market.

Nov 3, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,858 of 8,730
Make sure the pads are identical. Bass is strongly influenced by seal and how close the drivers are to your ears.
Exactly this too, I rolled pads, and couldnt stand anything except stock pads...later, I discovered that the plastic films behind the pads also play the parts. Dekoni pads or whatever didnt have it, and I couldnt stand it. But to each oh his own, personal preferences is a decisive factor in an ocean full of fishes

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #3,864 of 8,730
One reason I'm skeptical of the HD800 S being noticeably distorted compared to the HD800 is that the distortion figures per Tyll are similar in the Abyss AB 1266, which has a higher level of bass, and is regarded as one of the best bass headphones.

Has anyone tried blind testing the two headphones? This seems like a perfect opportunity in which blind testing is actually easy and makes sense.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #3,865 of 8,730
The pads on my HD800 are eight years old, the HD800S less than three. Are you saying if I replace the pads on the HD800, the bass will become less clear and defined?
Clarity, I don't know. Bass volume and impact will probably decrease since I am assuming a new pad will seal less and bring the headphones further from your ears.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,866 of 8,730
Any recommendations on where to buy the HD800S online? I don't have any authorized dealers near me, and have never heard them, so I need to buy from an authorized online dealer with a good return policy.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,867 of 8,730
Any recommendations on where to buy the HD800S online? I don't have any authorized dealers near me, and have never heard them, so I need to buy from an authorized online dealer with a good return policy.

I had a good experience buying them from Crutchfield. I contacted Sennheiser and verified that they are an authorized dealer.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,868 of 8,730
Take a look at the Orpheus programme/ certain retailers give 10 year warranty upgrade - may just be a uk thing tho.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,869 of 8,730
I had a good experience buying them from Crutchfield. I contacted Sennheiser and verified that they are an authorized dealer.

Crutchfield has them for about $1700, Amazon for about $1600 (sold by Amazon). Does anyone know if Amazon is an authorized dealer?

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #3,870 of 8,730
I've not looked, but would be surprised if Gramophone does not carry these. They carry Sennheiser, and I see from their online catalog they carry high end headphones (Audeze LCD-4, Focal Utopia, HiFiMan Susvara). Gramophone is in Rockville, Columbia, Towson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back