1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by shabta, Jan 19, 2016.
First

Back
247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256
258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267
Next

Last
  1. TYATYA
    It does change. Sure.
    My case, it is enough for changing from fatigue treble to be unlimit volume level hearing, no fatigue!
    I was a person did not belive. Since I bought a cable for hd650, I am beliver

2. peter123
    It doesn't :wink:

Brooko likes this.
  3. TYATYA
    Hehehe

peter123 likes this.
  4. Svatopluk
    I'm amazed how many people have trouble with the HD800S and it's treble when it comes to solid-state amps like the V281 and Ragnarok. I'm using the Yuggdrasil A2 with both and I'm very pleased with the results.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. joseph69
    When I had the 800S paired with my GS-X Mk2 I never had any treble issues either.

6. Arniesb
    I notice 1 thing with Hd800S. It never sound harsh on neutral setup unless 1 using usb and which case no usb fixing solution and Bad usb cable. I was always wondering why Everything sounded so sterile on my system even with warm amps... Later on when i bought Ifi usb 3.0 nano i noticed that reduced noise and signal restoring brought 3rd soundstage, transparency, speed, fullnes and extreme dynamics to the table. After honeymoon period i noticed that sound become very unforgiving for some reason... Decided to try my old very well shielded cable which i dont like it at first whitout Ifi usb nano 3.0.
    Results are astonishing... Much less digital unforgiving sound, much better separation too. Although my previous Audioquest Forest usb is better technically, but sound is extremely digital, there is no shielding on that cable so when you have revealing setup noisy cable which have not separated power line and not good shielding pick radio frequencies and power line will contaminate signal therefore sound becomes harsh and digital. Ofcourse people use warm dacs or warm amps to fight noise contaminated harsh sound, but its not a real solution is it?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. Arthur Li
    The clamping force of my HD800 is substantially higher than my HD800S (with equal headband "clicks"). The difference is not due to extended usage as both units were purchased first-hand recently. The significantly tighter clamp of my HD800 causing it to sound bassier than my HD800S. Anyone has similar experience?

8. Whitigir
    Definitely bad cables will cause harsh sound

LarryMagoo likes this.
  9. AutumnCrown
    Not to beat a dead horse, but can anyone who was paying attention summarize what we learned earlier this year in regards to the bass distortion of the HD800 S vs HD800?

10. Phronesis
    I keep hearing about the stage/imaging and analytical detail of the HD800S, and am consider getting a pair to complement my Clear, LCD-3, and LCD-i4. I like rotating between headphones to hear music presented in different ways and also optimize the pairing of recordings and headphones. I'm using the Mojo and Hugo 2 as DAC/amps, and not interested in adding DAC/amps, nor do I use EQ. I listen to lots of genres. Not really budget constrained, but I don't want to own stuff I won't use ("possessions possess"). I'd appreciate opinions/advice on whether adding the HD800S makes sense for me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  11. Svatopluk
    According to Jude's measurements and Sennheiser, harmonic distortion was not added when concerning the HD800S. However, in my opinion the bass of the HD800 is noticeable more precise in comparison to the HD800S.

It appears when determining audible differences, measurements alone are not reliable in many circumstances.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  12. AutumnCrown
    So more precise as in there is an unnatural warmth to the HD800S?

13. Whitigir
    That is funny, the HD800S is nothing even close to Warmth. Let alone unnatural warmth. If there is anything unnatural about the 800S is the timbres, which is more directed toward references sounds to scope out the music and details, but the S does such a wonderful job to make it also enjoyable while doing so. It is neither boring nor musical, but enjoyable in a sense of staring into your music and seeing every details out of it.

I am not sure what anyone would mean about precision, at what aspects ? Timbres resolutions and realism ? Nope, far from it, and I would say 800 would be even further from it...lol!

Though, I hold 800S to be in a very high regard for many things done right and sound right. It is the only dynamic headphones that sound so close and similar to a Stax system in signature and presentations. I totally love it

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    111MilesToGo and swspiers like this.
  14. Arniesb
    If you plan on using it with chord Hugo 2 i suggest Good quality copper cable, because neutral system with neutral headphones dont pair well with silver plated copper cable present in HD800S.

111MilesToGo likes this.
  15. Whitigir
    Spot on! An excellent advice

111MilesToGo and Arniesb like this.
First

Back
247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256
258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267
Next

Last