Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,616 of 8,761
Hi Donlin,

I can't find the reference to the HDVA 600 converting single ended input to balanced. Before posting the message here I called Sennheiser and they suggested just using adaptors on the RCA cable as the input has to be manually selected at the front, but it's not clear if I can just plug in the HD800S into the balanced cable and hope it works.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,617 of 8,761
Thanks, but my question is whether my 2Qute which only outputs in RCA would enable the HDVA 600 to output via the XLR socket. Maybe RCA cables terminating in XLR male plugs would work?

Short answer:
You CAN feed the HDVA 600 with an unbalanced RCA Signal, and Output via the HDVA’s XLR sockets.

When Sennheiser says “Consistently symmetrical signal processing,” they are using other words to describe balanced amplification. You’ll notice that they don’t say “symmetrical processing” on their newer HDV 820 DAC/amp, but they do label their XLR and Pentaconn outputs as balanced. What the amps are doing is converting the signal to balanced right after the input, and then the amplification stage is all balanced. With any source (balanced or unbalanced), all the outputs are active at the same time.

I have an HDV 820, which has it’s own DAC with balanced output hardwired to the balanced amplification stage, but sometimes I use the RCA input to connect different sources, like my DAP or the GSX 1000 when I want to game on PC with surround. So, my best current gaming setup looks like USB>GSX 1000> headphone out (3.5mm, volume close to max) > HDV 820 (RCA unbalanced input) > Pentaconn output (balanced) > HD 800.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,618 of 8,761
Thanks, but my question is whether my 2Qute which only outputs in RCA would enable the HDVA 600 to output via the XLR socket. Maybe RCA cables terminating in XLR male plugs would work?

Short answer:
You CAN feed the HDVA 600 with an unbalanced RCA Signal, and Output via the HDVA’s XLR sockets.

When Sennheiser says “Consistently symmetrical signal processing,” they are using other words to describe balanced amplification. You’ll notice that they don’t say “symmetrical processing” on their newer HDV 820 DAC/amp, but they do label their XLR and Pentaconn outputs as balanced. What the amps are doing is converting the signal to balanced right after the input, and then the amplification stage is all balanced. With any source (balanced or unbalanced), all the outputs are active at the same time.

I have an HDV 820, which has it’s own DAC with balanced output hardwired to the balanced amplification stage, but sometimes I use the RCA input to connect different sources, like my DAP or the GSX 1000 when I want to game on PC with surround. So, my best current gaming setup looks like USB>GSX 1000> headphone out (3.5mm, volume close to max) > HDV 820 (RCA unbalanced input) > Pentaconn output (balanced) > HD 800.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,619 of 8,761
Your case will be a not fully balance from source to end (final output). You get balance amping to RL channel of headphone which use xlr terminal.
I mean it works, it output stereo normally, but benefit as not much as fully balance circuit.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,621 of 8,761
Hi Donlin,

I can't find the reference to the HDVA 600 converting single ended input to balanced. Before posting the message here I called Sennheiser and they suggested just using adaptors on the RCA cable as the input has to be manually selected at the front, but it's not clear if I can just plug in the HD800S into the balanced cable and hope it works.
Martyn,
When I get home I’ll look for it and post it for you.

Jul 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,622 of 8,761
Finally I bought 800s. Got a deal in eBay which I couldn't resist. Got a used pair for $850
I have Schiit Valhalla 2 with 6922 gold pin. I am little worried about the dry treble is valhalla2 although JJ E88cc 6922 gold pin has reduced it significantly but it never went away completely.

Any budget Amp to try with these. Have MOJO as DAC which makes my whole setup bright for my test.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #3,624 of 8,761
Finally I bought 800s. Got a deal in eBay which I couldn't resist. Got a used pair for $850
I have Schiit Valhalla 2 with 6922 gold pin. I am little worried about the dry treble is valhalla2 although JJ E88cc 6922 gold pin has reduced it significantly but it never went away completely.

Any budget Amp to try with these. Have MOJO as DAC which makes my whole setup bright for my test.
Mojo as a dac but 800s sounds still bright? You think bcs of the tube, right?
Mojo is not kind of bright but warm.
Your 800s is used so confirm of ear pad if it ecess wear off.
Buget amp may be Aune s6 or s16

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,625 of 8,761
I found the Mojo bright when I used it with Hifiman Edition X v2. It was harsh, to be specific. Didn't have such a problem with iFi Micro and Nano Black Label, Schiit Modi 2 and Modi Multibit. The Mojo is also not warm.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,626 of 8,761
Hi Donlin,

Sorry, it’s not in the manual but it’s in this video description by Axel Grell from Sennheiser. He starts talking about the amp at 8:10. Yes you can use rca plugs into the amp and xlr out of the amp to the headphones. No adapters are needed.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,627 of 8,761
I have not heard the Mojo but the Hugo can also sound harsh in the treble through 800S. Taming it by using a valver amp is possible. A great album to check what s going on with the treble and upper mids is Drab Majesty's Demonstration which is unlistenable through the Hugo for example but through a valve amp and a good driver tube actually becomes an immersive experience. I m looking forward to hearing the 800S through the HDV820 at the London CanJam through a balanced connection to see what the fuss is all about though.

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #3,628 of 8,761
Chord tt and gsx mk2 is nice combo. Nice full sound yet transparent. Deep and articulate.

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #3,629 of 8,761
It works just fine. You can run 4 cans at the same time from this amp. 2 unbalanced and two balanced XLR. I feed it from my pc via the rca line out of my Xonar STX.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #3,630 of 8,761
It works just fine. You can run 4 cans at the same time from this amp. 2 unbalanced and two balanced XLR. I feed it from my pc via the rca line out of my Xonar STX.

This is accurate, officially backed by Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back