Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jul 16, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #3,631 of 8,689
Rca is se output to a balanced amp is not topographically utilizing the amp. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound fine. An adapter defeats the balanced out put. I mean true end to end balanced from power through to hp.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #3,632 of 8,689
Rca is se output to a balanced amp is not topographically utilizing the amp. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t sound fine. An adapter defeats the balanced out put. I mean true end to end balanced from power through to hp.

True end to end balanced is indeed ideal, though the HDVA 600 is more than a mere passive adapter. All unbalanced (SE) inputs are converted to balanced at input, and then are balanced through all the amplification stages.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,633 of 8,689
True end to end balanced is indeed ideal, though the HDVA 600 is more than a mere passive adapter. All unbalanced (SE) inputs are converted to balanced at input, and then are balanced through all the amplification stages.

Yay or nay on the HDVA 600 working well with a low impedance headphone like the LCD-X? Also, do you still consider it a good amp for the 800S?

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #3,634 of 8,689
I use parametric 3 bands for hd800s.
Feel it better.
1st. 5dB @30Hz Q0.6
2nd. 2.5dB@90Hz Q0.4
3rd. 2.5dB@750Hz Q1.0
All are peak band filter

Describle : 1st and 2nd in total is a smooth curve from low end to 500Hz, what ever the gain but keep 2/1 ratio (above +5 and +2.5).
3rd is for vocal to be bolder a bit.
Dap is AK sp1000, it respond not much as usuall. I think it is as half, if set +6 it acts like +3.

Screenshot_20180717-012931_Neutron.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,635 of 8,689
In fact, many source components with balanced outputs don't really have balanced circuitry throughout the entire output stage but invert the signal just before the xlr jack. It's really the same thing the HDVA 600 does. In one case it's done in the source and in the other it's done in the amp.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #3,636 of 8,689
I use parametric 3 bands for hd800s.
Feel it better.
1st. 5dB @30Hz Q0.6
2nd. 2.5dB@90Hz Q0.4
3rd. 2.5dB@750Hz Q1.0
All are peak band filter

Describle : 1st and 2nd in total is a smooth curve from low end to 500Hz, what ever the gain but keep 2/1 ratio (above +5 and +2.5).
3rd is for vocal to be bolder a bit.
Dap is AK sp1000, it respond not much as usuall. I think it is as half, if set +6 it acts like +3.

try to use the 'thumbnail' option when uploading pictures, so others can see your image in one go.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #3,637 of 8,689
Can someone recommend the very best 6.5 to 3.5 adaptor for a senn hd800s with the mojo? i'm considering the hd820 to use with my mojo. how is everyone connecting their hd800s to mojo as i understand it ships with only the 6.5 jack? thanks mk. is sq affected by adaptors.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #3,638 of 8,689
Hp Adapters are cheap and in vast supply. I dunno about mojo as I preferred tt through an external balanced amp than hugo even to hd800S.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #3,639 of 8,689
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,640 of 8,689
My ears are not big fans of the sound coming through Gumby, Jot, and balanced 800S. The separation, air, and perhaps most of all comfort are nice but the sound is a little thin, dry, female vocals are inferior to a single-ended LCD-X and to my ears there is a tonal imbalance that results in discomfort and ear ringing, i.e. that's bad. I can't get either the comfort or soundstage from the LCD-X so I'm considering giving the 800S a second chance. Will the Schiit Ragnarok give the 800S full, substantial sound with great female vocals while keeping brightness under control? Is there any amp without five tubes that are the size of limbs at $1500 or under that will do this?

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,641 of 8,689
My ears are not big fans of the sound coming through Gumby, Jot, and balanced 800S. The separation, air, and perhaps most of all comfort are nice but the sound is a little thin, dry, female vocals are inferior to a single-ended LCD-X and to my ears there is a tonal imbalance that results in discomfort and ear ringing, i.e. that's bad. I can't get either the comfort or soundstage from the LCD-X so I'm considering giving the 800S a second chance. Will the Schiit Ragnarok give the 800S full, substantial sound with great female vocals while keeping brightness under control? Is there any amp without five tubes that are the size of limbs at $1500 or under that will do this?
I have not heard the Ragnarok but the Sennheiser HDVD800 really fleshes out the sound a lot compared to the other amps I have. It goes for $1500.00 these days on Amazon. I should add that I use it as an amp only so can't really comment on how the dac sounds.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #3,642 of 8,689
A mojo but even better a hugo2 will fulfil all your desires. If hugo2 is outside your budget try a hugo. Hugo 2 will do it.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #3,643 of 8,689

The Icon Audio HP8 with a Mullard ECC83 as the driver tube will give you amazing female vocals. It is below $1500 too and will not sound bright at all.I m sure there s others too like the Feliks Audio offerings. An added benefit of a tube amp is that you can tweak the sound signature by tube rolling, Headfi is full of threads about tube rolling and it's fun too- unless you mind your wallet giving you the side eye ...

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #3,644 of 8,689
Auralic Taurus MK2

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #3,645 of 8,689

zdtjr.jpg

The Massdrop Eddie Current ZDT Jr is finally shipping now. There should be some used ones showing up in the classifieds soon. This is probably your best choice unless you want to acquire a $2500 - $3000 tube amp known to work very well with the HD800S (Eddie Current ZDS, Kenzie Encore for example.)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back