Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,541 of 8,758
DHC prion 4 is nice. Type 6 silver litz.

87958C30-BFFB-411C-94F7-D8DC827B9D14.jpeg

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #3,542 of 8,758
Hi,

I have an HD800S with an NJC Reference II amplifier and the source is a Chord 2Qute. The Reference II has a very neutral frequency response so doesn't particularly help bass. My Stax SR-007A (amplified by an SRM-300) has a warmer sound signature, albeit without the spacious soundstage of the HD800S. I have been wondering whether a balanced amplifier would help maximise sound quality.

I've looked at the SMSL sap 10 which is less powerful than the Reference II. I've tried an Earmax Pro but the difference is very slight, maybe a slightly smeared and diffuse treble and a secondary room heater. The other option is a Lake People RS 02, but the RS 08 is claimed to be much more powerful in balanced mode, but confusingly, doesn't have XLR inputs. My question how much power does the HD800S really need to function at or near its full potential? The Reference II seems to have no difficulty in producing deafening volume but the voltage can't be changed to 120V (I may be moving to the US in the future) and I don't know if it has enough current. The Reference II produces 195mW at 600 ohms whereas Lake People say the RS 08 produces 1700 mW at 600 ohms. This is a major difference and possibly overkill for the HD800S. The Little Dot III is promising, however, the build quality may not be outstanding.

Thanks,

Martyn

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #3,543 of 8,758
Hi,

I have an HD800S with an NJC Reference II amplifier and the source is a Chord 2Qute. The Reference II has a very neutral frequency response so doesn't particularly help bass. My Stax SR-007A (amplified by an SRM-300) has a warmer sound signature, albeit without the spacious soundstage of the HD800S. I have been wondering whether a balanced amplifier would help maximise sound quality.

I've looked at the SMSL sap 10 which is less powerful than the Reference II. I've tried an Earmax Pro but the difference is very slight, maybe a slightly smeared and diffuse treble and a secondary room heater. The other option is a Lake People RS 02, but the RS 08 is claimed to be much more powerful in balanced mode, but confusingly, doesn't have XLR inputs. My question how much power does the HD800S really need to function at or near its full potential? The Reference II seems to have no difficulty in producing deafening volume but the voltage can't be changed to 120V (I may be moving to the US in the future) and I don't know if it has enough current. The Reference II produces 195mW at 600 ohms whereas Lake People say the RS 08 produces 1700 mW at 600 ohms. This is a major difference and possibly overkill for the HD800S. The Little Dot III is promising, however, the build quality may not be outstanding.

Thanks,

Martyn
You might want to check out the Sennheiser HDVA 600. It has all you need, including balanced inputs. Or the HDVD800/820.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,545 of 8,758
Thanks, the HDVA600 looks good but I’m not sure if the balanced output would work with the 2Qute which is RCA output only. I’m hoping the HDVA600 has a switchable voltage input like the RS 08.
The HDVA600 has xlr balanced input plus RCA stereo. It has adjustable gain in 6 steps but no switchable voltage input.

Jun 30, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #3,546 of 8,758
Has anyone here heard the HD800S with the Gilmore Lite Mk2?
I only had the time to try it for a couple jazz music songs, but I was genuinely impressed with the combination.
The clarity of the drums and sax was definitely more prevalent compared to the CMA400i and the HDV 820 (Both through SE).
As for the balanced connections, I really enjoyed classical music through the Mjolnir 2.
Man these headphones can really immerse you in the music like no other.

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #3,547 of 8,758
Hi Guys............came across these....

for $10 bucks....reviews seemed to be promising

Received my non OEM $10 cushions…. the outer material and plastic frame they’re mounted on appears to be very similar to the originals, obviously cannot comment on the inner foam but the pads are relatively soft, offer good comfort, a secure fit and better seal than the worn pads, which helps slightly to increase the lower bass.

IMG_3359.jpg

New vs old....the soft semi-clear inner plastic on the "non" OEM looks like it was hand cut, so not as precise.
IMG_3363.jpg

New ....original
IMG_3362.jpg

New top (slimmer)....older OEM bottom (wider after 2 years daily of use)
IMG_3361.jpg

While they fit and feel great not too sure if the outer sheath is as tightly secured as the OEMs, as it can shift before being installed exposing the inner soft plastic , see photo.
IMG_3364.jpg

Some may be opposed to purchasing non OEM parts.. but if your on a budget and you can get something at a 10th the price and not have to wait until they actually deteriorate to the point of being unusable to bring your 800s up to speck, they're actually pretty good... otherwise OEMs here in the far north will set you back at over $100 Canadian plus taxes and shipping : ( and one would most likely change them less often.
Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 3.07.58 PM.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #3,548 of 8,758
Thank you for the photos and the write-up! I went for the hybrid dekoni pads instead.
I might order a Chinese pair to switch between the dekoni and those pads while keeping the OEM pads as pristine as possible for a possible resale.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #3,549 of 8,758
Now that I had the replacement pads I took the opportunity to actual wash the originals pads in warm water with a few drops of liquid dish detergent to break down the oils....soaked them for 5-10 minutes then rinsed them thoroughly....let them try over night and they appear no worse for wear...well not looking quite like new, much better than before the wash. : )

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #3,551 of 8,758
Need more bass? What the hey, there is either bass in the track or no. If there is, 800S has plenty, if not you get what you get.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #3,552 of 8,758
Ordered a pair of these two days ago, just waiting for them to arrive.

It was a decision between the hd800s, lcd x or lcd 3, lcd 3 was just slightly more than I wanted to pay.

Got a great deal for the hd800s, couldnt really say no.

Cant wait to try them, hopefully I will like them when they arrive.

^ trust me, badly timed posting coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #3,553 of 8,758
*** - try headphones before you buy

$1-2-4k plus on something you have zero experience with other than from a forum and how much they cost?

On the hope they sound good for you?

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #3,554 of 8,758
*** - try headphones before you buy

$1-2-4k plus on something you have zero experience with other than from a forum and how much they cost?

On the hope they sound good for you?

Do not have anywhere near that A, has them, B, will allow demo.

Trust me, if I could I would, would have to travel hundreds of miles to do so.

Let me know how your demo of a new house went.

Think before you post dumb schiit.

< UK Mandatory 14 day online purchase return window

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #3,555 of 8,758
<zero purchase return here in Oz - unless it's broken

lots of warranty return here though - even if the sellers disagree

Here:
You buy - it you keep it,
If it's breaks before it should have - they fix it
4 years on a $Xk TV - expect longer - they have to come to the party if it breaks within reasonable time
$4k on a TV you change your mind on - you're an idiot

Swap something you bought yesterday?
Should have thought before you bought.

$thousand headphone - don't like it - shouldn't have bought it
$thousand headphone - stops working 3 years down the track - they fix it if it should have lasted longer than that

Going to spend $xxxx on a headphone

Maybe a few hours from closest vendor at worst

Post to a forum tossing up on 2 totally different species of headphones

Call out the guy suggesting you actually try them on.

"hey - if I don't like them I can send them back"

Let me know how your demo of a new house went.

I'd at least visit the house before I bought it.

Wouldn't buy it and then, (up to) 14 days later change my mind.

Bad luck to the poor suckers I (you) bought it off - too bad if it stuffs up their next transaction

Was actually surprised to hear you weren't from US - most/all of the "order 12 (NEW) pairs, return them all (NOW 2nd HAND) except the one pair that I want to keep" posts are from the States.

edit: and before you say "They offer it" - who do you think wears the cost?

You always have the option of buying second hand and on selling for no loss too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back