Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #3,526 of 8,689
And I prefer the sound that suits me, no special brand. Writing this I have the HD800SD on my ears. I just say that the aforementioned Sony might suit your demand better than the HD800S, based on your statements.
It doesn't hurt to look into this can.
Sorry this was not for you, it was for @Hoegaardener70

Thank you for the recommendation, and I will give it a try. However, with the Ifi, my biggest “complain” with the HD800s is solved. But always exciting to try new things ... :)

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #3,527 of 8,689
So I have been listening to Utopia everyday for last 2 weeks or so. Very impressive of course as has been established already. But the surprising thing is it has not diminished my regard for HD800S! Quite the contrary I like them even more now. My personal opinion is that the 800S sounds more natural and accurate. The music has more emotion with the Sennheiser. All this is not evident when you quick AB the 2; when you quick AB the 2, the Utopia might scale the bars more confidently but when you actually sit down at home for long listening sessions is when 800S shine.
This is so interesting. I was thinking of “upgrading” my HD800S to the Utopia but am frustrated by the price. How would you in particular compare the bass and dynamics in comparison? Thanks you for this insight!

PS: Plus, getting the Utopia would mean that I have to sell all my other cans, a modded Grado GS1000e and Bowers P9. For various reasons, I do like them both in their own way.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #3,528 of 8,689
You want the Sony Z1R.
I just started reading on them, and I am now super interested since they are closed. I do have the BOWERS P9 and they are nice, but they are some sort of Beats Deluxe, the opposite of neutral. The Sony seems to fit the bill just right - closed and refined, good on bass and dynamics. Perfect pairing for HD800S as the open variation

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #3,529 of 8,689
This is so interesting. I was thinking of “upgrading” my HD800S to the Utopia but am frustrated by the price. How would you in particular compare the bass and dynamics in comparison? Thanks you for this insight!

PS: Plus, getting the Utopia would mean that I have to sell all my other cans, a modded Grado GS1000e and Bowers P9. For various reasons, I do like them both in their own way.

On paper almost everything one writes comparing the 2 is probably going to go in favour of Utopia. But at the end of the day 800S to me sounds more natural & flowing. Utopia is extremely capable technically speaking.

The bass of Utopia is a touch more in quantity and a touch faster than 800S. A bass drum on the 800S sounds more like it is made of membrane; on Utopia it sounds more like a rigid surface (metal or something). Utopia also handles synth bass and electronic bass more confidently. Bass from brass and bowed strings feel more emotional from 800S. Guitar bass maybe Utopia has edge due to its nearness to the ear (yeah everything is near your ear on Utopia).

Impact means different things to different people. All notes on the Utopia hit you abruptly and leaves abruptly. There is not a sense of flow or sustain. And they feel like they originate very close to your ears. 800S feels like sounds originate a bit further and flows to you.

On 800S I feel Music is engaging. Same music on Utopia I m thinking of the prowess of the headphones- how resolving, fast and precise it is and suddenly I realise I ve missed half the track :)

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,530 of 8,689
If you are contemplating a Utopia it would be useful to try to arrange a home audition for week or 2. Short listening sessions can be misleading I feel.

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,531 of 8,689
On paper almost everything one writes comparing the 2 is probably going to go in favour of Utopia. But at the end of the day 800S to me sounds more natural & flowing. Utopia is extremely capable technically speaking.

The bass of Utopia is a touch more in quantity and a touch faster than 800S. A bass drum on the 800S sounds more like it is made of membrane; on Utopia it sounds more like a rigid surface (metal or something). Utopia also handles synth bass and electronic bass more confidently. Bass from brass and bowed strings feel more emotional from 800S. Guitar bass maybe Utopia has edge due to its nearness to the ear (yeah everything is near your ear on Utopia).

Impact means different things to different people. All notes on the Utopia hit you abruptly and leaves abruptly. There is not a sense of flow or sustain. And they feel like they originate very close to your ears. 800S feels like sounds originate a bit further and flows to you.

On 800S I feel Music is engaging. Same music on Utopia I m thinking of the prowess of the headphones- how resolving, fast and precise it is and suddenly I realise I ve missed half the track :)

Thanks for this very detailed and vivid description - I felt like listening to both. I tested the Utopia for a couple of minutes in a shop, but as you mentioned, that is hardly enough. I must say that I was mightily impressed, but so was I once again while listening to my HD800S yesterday night :). My latest conclusion is that the Utopia would most certainly be a very desirable item to have but not necessarily be the clear choice over the HD800S. And that does not justify the cost. Given some other feedback I might opt to keep the HD800S (always Bass boosted with my ifi micro BL) and to let go of all my other cans to finance the Sony Z1R (after some very thorough listening tests). Then I have one open for home and one closed for noise isolation / travel. And that must be enough ....

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #3,532 of 8,689
I use hd800S and fully modded th900 for bass thumb. Course they are closed in name only and don’t isolate the sound much from others. See no reason for another can. Sussvara was close to a compliment but way to much doe

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #3,533 of 8,689
Hi Guys...I was just ordering an RC airplane for my son off Aliexpress and came across these....
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 5.15.12 PM.png

for $10 bucks....reviews seemed to be promising
"Amazing quality for a cheap price, they are just as good as the 60 euros one they sell in the Netherlands, maybe even better! Very comfortable, too."
so added them to my cart and will report back.....

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #3,534 of 8,689
I’m trying to buy from anyone other than USA and China right now, just my thang

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #3,535 of 8,689
Anyone buy their headphones from Sennheiser directly? I've read what is there regarding returns and am wondering if their policy is like everyone else's- if you're dissatisfied you can return within the window. I got a post-order email stating items wrapped in clear plastic shouldn't be opened and am wondering what that's about.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #3,536 of 8,689
Anyone buy their headphones from Sennheiser directly? I've read what is there regarding returns and am wondering if their policy is like everyone else's- if you're dissatisfied you can return within the window. I got a post-order email stating items wrapped in clear plastic shouldn't be opened and am wondering what that's about.
They’re uk website says 30 day money back guarantee if you’re not happy.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #3,538 of 8,689
Ok, I suppose the not opening things in plastic threw me off. So what should I expect of the 800S relative to an LCD-X?
More naturality, accuracy, flatness but less euphony. Mineral water vs warm milk!

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #3,540 of 8,689
I cant describe about sound well. But I can say changing a stock cable is worth for try.
Like what happen on my 650 when changing a cable, new cable for 800s does a good job.
Copper or silver plated copper is not an easy choice. Some tracks I see copper is suitable but some tracks silver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back