Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 30, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,036 of 8,697

Nice how do you like the mk2? Im looking at it as well.

Hi Whazzzup.
I have been using the mk2 for over 3 months now. It is just an incredibly transparent sounding amp. It very much reflects the sound signature of your source materials truly and honestly. 
HD800S together with the GSX MK2 is quite possibly the best combo for Classical musics I have ever heard thus far. It does have some flaws in which it is very picky of recordings. 

Have you ever been interested in tube amps?

May 30, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #1,037 of 8,697

Hi grizzlybeast,
I am indeed very interested in tube amps. In fact, I am actually having a microZOTL2 inbound very soon which will be my 1st ever tube amp Hopefully later this week, and hope custom can let go this time. I was also looking into the DNA Stratus and the upcoming EC Studio Jr. Unforunately I may not have the opportunity to hear the HD800S through the microZOTL since im selling my HD800S for something else (a Hydra Z interface to be exact). I will certainly give 800S another chance after I become more experienced with tubes etc.

May 30, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,038 of 8,697

Hi grizzlybeast,
I am indeed very interested in tube amps. In fact, I am actually having a microZOTL2 inbound very soon which will be my 1st ever tube amp Hopefully later this week, and hope custom can let go this time. I was also looking into the DNA Stratus and the upcoming EC Studio Jr. Unforunately I may not have the opportunity to hear the HD800S through the microZOTL since im selling my HD800S for something else (a Hydra Z interface to be exact). I will certainly give 800S another chance after I become more experienced with tubes etc.

Based on impressions running around I think you will very much like this. The torpedo III  said to be better than the Ragnarok but it is a tube amp good for the HD800S. I just asked because the HD800S is bright as well as the GSX-2. But if you are selling no worries. I was just curious. 

May 30, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #1,039 of 8,697
  Based on impressions running around I think you will very much like this. The torpedo III  said to be better than the Ragnarok but it is a tube amp good for the HD800S. I just asked because the HD800S is bright as well as the GSX-2. But if you are selling no worries. I was just curious. 

You are very right, the 800S and GSX2 pairing is more bright to my personal preference. I will certainly look into the torpedo III thanks for the recommendation 

May 30, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,040 of 8,697
You are very right, the 800S and GSX2 pairing is more bright to my personal preference. I will certainly look into the torpedo III thanks for the recommendation 
The Cavalli Luquid Spark or Liquid Carbon matches up real nice with the HD800S

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 30, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,041 of 8,697

Nice how do you like the mk2? Im looking at it as well.

Hi Whazzzup.
I have been using the mk2 for over 3 months now. It is just an incredibly transparent sounding amp. It very much reflects the sound signature of your source materials truly and honestly. 
HD800S together with the GSX MK2 is quite possibly the best combo for Classical musics I have ever heard thus far. It does have some flaws in which it is very picky of recordings. 

Transparency is my thing. Folks seemed somewhat worried about even Hugo TT pairing and hd800( well thats why I got the S and had no original in the game) TT is a tad darker than Hugo with its intensity around the bass slam but otherwise projects clear and distinct mids. I don't find this amp bright although there are genre types that do sound a bit more pleasing on my A8 th900 combo but that is small%. I do enjoy the TT direct but since OCD is strong in me for component upgrades, and the need to search out that little bit more pleasing sound, has brought me to consider amping ( never mind balanced thing, since TT is se with xlr balanced line out outputs)
Tubes look cool and certainly I embrace the romantic ideal, but I'm not as interested in color, or warm ups, or tube wear outs. I guess I'm an SS kind of listener. I do not fear transparency in my system, source music is generally very well recorded I listen too. And the hd800S is not fatiguing to me at all.
So I was looking into gsx mk2 versus liquid gold as a SS dual off and am leaning to mk2 after initial research. If anyone has alternatives in this area 3-4 g$ feel free to interject.

May 30, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,042 of 8,697
I think the Moon Neo 430HA is an obvious candidate and I also considered the GSX but decided against it for shipping difficulties to Singapore and cost. Imy unit should arrive in a week or two and I hope to give some impressions then.

May 30, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,043 of 8,697
Transparency is my thing. Folks seemed somewhat worried about even Hugo TT pairing and hd800( well thats why I got the S and had no original in the game) TT is a tad darker than Hugo with its intensity around the bass slam but otherwise projects clear and distinct mids. I don't find this amp bright although there are genre types that do sound a bit more pleasing on my A8 th900 combo but that is small%. I do enjoy the TT direct but since OCD is strong in me for component upgrades, and the need to search out that little bit more pleasing sound, has brought me to consider amping ( never mind balanced thing, since TT is se with xlr balanced line out outputs)
Tubes look cool and certainly I embrace the romantic ideal, but I'm not as interested in color, or warm ups, or tube wear outs. I guess I'm an SS kind of listener. I do not fear transparency in my system, source music is generally very well recorded I listen too. And the hd800S is not fatiguing to me at all.
So I was looking into gsx mk2 versus liquid gold as a SS dual off and am leaning to mk2 after initial research. If anyone has alternatives in this area 3-4 g$ feel free to interject.

I think Auralic Taurus mk2 is a valid option too... Not much fuzz any more around this amp since new amps emerged. I think though that it bravely stands its ground :) The other amps are more a matter of taste/tonality than a matter of technical capabilities imho. 

May 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,044 of 8,697
FWIW The Taurus has mlre competition with what is on the market now a days. Project86 who writes reviews for innerfidelity said the [b]CAYIN[/b] iHA6 is just as good as the Taurus but only costs 999usd. I reviewed it below in my signature. He actually says that his long standing KOTH which he reviewed as a WOF he cannot recommend as easily with the iHA-6 nearly matching it for half the price and has even more options.  His review will be up on innerfidelity later on. 

(smaller than taurus mkII)

based on my time here I would go for this amp. It is very transparent, is clean, neutral, slightly bright (to my ears because I find the 800S really bright) spacious, controlled, fast, with tight bass. Also works better balanced with the HD800S but the high impedance jack works like a charm. 

Not to debate but I know @Whazzzup says transparency is his thing but tube amps can be and a lot of times are extremely transparent. My Trafomatic Head 2 is a very clear amp. It is also quite neutral, just not bright. What you usually cannot get from a solid state amp is the incredible body and density of tones. ie my Trafomatic with the HD800S really brings out the music with more impact (not bass boost), attack, girth, and the drums vocals, and high hats have more texture and physicality than the solid states I have heard. It really is a treat. Also the depth of soundstage a lot of tube amps have like the Teton etc totally decimate a lot of solid states. I am not a tube or a solid state guy because all headphones do not yield these results and for example, I prefer solid state with the Omni and Kennerton Vali. 

May 30, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,045 of 8,697
FWIW The Taurus is becoming a bit outdone by what is on the market now a days. Project86 who writes reviews for innerfidelity said the [B]CAYIN[/B] iHA6 is just as good as the Taurus but only costs 999usd. I reviewed it below in my signature. He actually says that his long standing KOTH which he reviewed as a WOF he cannot recommend as easily with the iHA-6 nearly matching it any territory for half the price. Its probably heavier, but is smaller and has even more options.  His review will be up on innerfidelity later on. 

(smaller than taurus mkII)

based on my time here I would go for this amp. It is very transparent, is clean, neutral, slightly bright (to my ears because I find the 800S really bright) spacious, controlled, fast, with tight bass. Also works better balanced with the HD800S but the high impedance jack works like a charm. 

Not to debate but I know @Whazzzup
 says transparency is his thing but tube amps can be and a lot of times are extremely transparent. My Trafomatic Head 2 is a very clear amp. It is also quite neutral, just not bright. What you usually cannot get from a solid state amp is the incredible body and density of tones. ie my Trafomatic with the HD800S really brings out the music with more impact (not bass boost), attack, girth, and the drums vocals, and high hats have more texture and physicality than the solid states I have heard. It really is a treat. Also the depth of soundstage a lot of tube amps have like the Teton etc totally decimate a lot of solid states. I am not a tube or a solid state guy because all headphones do not yield these results and for example, I prefer solid state with the Omni and Kennerton Vali. 

Noted, bookmarked and thank you. The apex high fidelity Teton is of particular interest. It does remove the balanced issue I have as I upgraded my se cable already for hd800S. I guess I need to investigate more as when I read about Teton and its tubes I get nervous. I don't know much about tubes except what I remember as a child and our tv. They would burn out and they look fragile. I wouldn't know a good tube from a poor one course what do I know about ss either. I guess education is the best remedy for insecurity I feel about tubes. I perceive better reliability and speed, transparency, and maybe authority from ss.
But like you don't want to instigate debate around this topic but thanks for the input. Much appreciated head fiers.
one thing to add, maybe i want the balanced output option, just to see for myself which i prefer on the hd800S.

May 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,046 of 8,697
I believe any amplifier that is transparent will be similar to the Auralic Taurus MKII regardless of price?  (If 2 transparent amplifier don't sound similar, than they can't be transparent)

Also something to consider is that the Taurus MKII is the sexiest looking amplifier on the market in my opinion. And it's very easy to buy the Taurus MKII from multiple dealers (I wanted to buy the Headamp GS-X MKII at first but because it is impossible to buy this amplifier, I went with my 2nd choice which was the Taurus MKII).

May 30, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,047 of 8,697
If there is one headphone that will split the camps on preferences etc its the HD800(S). It is a polarizing headphone with so many good technicalities that it reaches over and draws those of the opposite end of the poll like myself. I personally prefer natural sounding headphones with gripping dynamics and body, also smooth highs but after years I finally took the risk and bought the HD800S and am pretty much sold. I got a chance to listen to it on the Teton (with 900 dollars work of tube upgrades) here for a couple of weeks by way of TTVJ audio and while the bass never up to my standards in qty it was still enjoyable. 

I compared it to my Trafomatic Head 2 and found it lost on most fronts until I switched the Teton back to stock tubes. They became more competitive, yet tonally I appreciated my TH2 more while the Teton had better separation and a wider soundstage, as well as slightly more transparency. My Trafomatic Head 2 had more assertiveness, more attack and was more forward. After comparing it to the best though for me the differences were negligible and I am happy with my TH2. I suspect that if I upgrade the tubes I will have truly all I need for the HD800S and won't look elsewhere. It is not an OTL amp with the big tubes so it won't sound as fluent or luscious but the depth of soundstage is all there as well as the separation and dynamics. It also works well with some orthos like the brighter ones, ether, HE1000, and even is a good match with the LCD2 and very very low noise if any at all since I haven't heard any noise.

FWIW tubes  last 10,000+ hours... that is a long time. The reason of issues is because a lot of people go for vintage tubes which have already eaten up a lot of that time over the years. My Nuprime HPA-9 though which is FS is the best budget piece of gear I have heard for the HD800S for sure. I wish I could duke it out with the Liquid Carbon. 

May 30, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,048 of 8,697
Has anyone got a chance to compare the HD800S with the T1 Gen2 ? Similarities and differences...
I'm using a LCD2F with a Taurus II & Yggy but thought I could step-up to something with a better soundstage, less "in your face".
Thanks !

May 30, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,049 of 8,697
See my post number 10129 (and the posts referenced in that post) at http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/10125#post_12563967

I ended up returning the T1 Gen 2 and kept the HD800S, but love them both

May 30, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,050 of 8,697
  Has anyone got a chance to compare the HD800S with the T1 Gen2 ? Similarities and differences...
I'm using a LCD2F with a Taurus II & Yggy but thought I could step-up to something with a better soundstage, less "in your face".
Thanks !

Also FWIW the Omni is warm, has the soundstage bigger than the LCD2F and is a lot less in your face. If you want open and bright, I would go with the HD800S for sure. But the Taurus may or may not be a good pairing depending on your tastes. The Taurus will pair perfect with the Omni. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back