Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 30, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #1,051 of 8,800
  See my post number 10129 (and the posts referenced in that post) at http://www.head-fi.org/t/782754/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread/10125#post_12563967

I ended up returning the T1 Gen 2 and kept the HD800S, but love them both

Thanks ! Exactly what I was looking for, described in great details. 
Now it seems to be a tie between those two, sound wise at least. I understand the HD800S is a bit more laid-back. 
Value wise, considering the similar performance, the T1 seems to be a winner. Might not be a end game but almost half of the price, it should be the 1st on my list.
I've had a HD800 before then when I got the LCD2 (non fazor), the difference was striking. Bass had way more impact. HD800 was pretty weak on this aspect (and so is the for version). Maybe it was the amp I was using back then, a Beta 22, but still... I'm curious to see how the S version has improved on that.

May 30, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #1,052 of 8,800

Thanks ! Exactly what I was looking for, described in great details. 
Now it seems to be a tie between those two, sound wise at least. I understand the HD800S is a bit more laid-back. 
Value wise, considering the similar performance, the T1 seems to be a winner. Might not be a end game but almost half of the price, it should be the 1st on my list.
I've had a HD800 before then when I got the LCD2 (non fazor), the difference was striking. Bass had way more impact. HD800 was pretty weak on this aspect (and so is the for version). Maybe it was the amp I was using back then, a Beta 22, but still... I'm curious to see how the S version has improved on that.

While I didn't like the HD800S and preferred the HD800 to it, I think you'll find that the bump in bass is noticeable.  Personally, being used to and loving the HD800, I felt like it sounded a bit unnatural, but that's just me.

May 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,053 of 8,800
  You are very right, the 800S and GSX2 pairing is more bright to my personal preference. I will certainly look into the torpedo III thanks for the recommendation 

Look to your source then. The GS-X Mk2 will sound brighter if your source is so inclined. It's design strategy is simply to add gain and get out of the way. My GS-X Mk2 has sounded a bit bright with a Sabre based DAC (that didn't get the analog portion just right) and then shifted to warm sounding with the Metrum Hex NOS DAC. But with the Hugo TT, it's pretty much spot on now. Have a look at the measurements (very impressive indeed):

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf

Just ruler flat through the audible frequency range...and plenty of power and kick for those "hard to drive headphones" and dead quiet with IEMs on unity gain.

May 30, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,054 of 8,800
  Any DAC will be more 'ruler flat' than an amplifier, The further you progress down the chain toward the transducer the more inaccurate the reproduction. How is it that the DAC can be warm/cold while the amp is not?

lol... dude he used a perfect DAC to throw in for a comparison. I had the Metrum Acoustics Musette and it paired lovely with the HD800S but with the Kennerton Vali it sounded overly warm and thick in the lower midrange. It sounded great with the iHA-6 which was a little nuetral and bright but  to be honest I have heard almost as drastic a difference in warmth between DACS as I have between amps. 

The Stockholm 2 NOS R2R DAC warmed up the bass but actually wasn't super tight and the mids were smooth and clear being a NOS tube DAC. However, the infinity was forward and lean in comparison. Pairing headphones with DACs is not as important as the amplifier pairing but it is very significant. 

Any DAC will be more 'ruler flat' than an amplifier, The further you progress down the chain toward the transducer the more inaccurate the reproduction. How is it that the DAC can be warm/cold while the amp is not?

Many DACs can come off as bright or harsh while others (like NOS DACs) can sound quite a bit more natural (or analog). Amps can too. The GS-X Mk2 is more of a chameleon in the world of amps that I've used over the years and are perfect for me when I review upstream gear and they really zero in on what's coming in.

I generally am led to believe the GSX to be bright based on impressions out there. But I totally agree about the DAC being able to be the culprit. 

May 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,055 of 8,800

lol... dude he used a perfect DAC to throw in for a comparison. I had the Metrum Acoustics Musette and it paired lovely with the HD800S but with the Kennerton Vali it sounded overly warm and thick in the lower midrange. It sounded great with the iHA-6 which was a little nuetral and bright but  to be honest I have heard just as drastic a difference in warmth between DACS as I have between amps. 

The Stockholm 2 NOS R2R DAC warmed up the bass but actually wasn't super tight and the mids were smooth and clear being a NOS tube DAC. However, the infinity was forward and lean in comparison. Pairing headphones with DACs is not as important as the amplifier pairing but it is very significant. 
I generally am led to believe the GSX to be bright based on impressions out there. But I totally agree about the DAC being able to be the culprit. 

Certainly my impressions (and by far most GS-X owners...and Tyll's measurements) would go against those few ones for sure. Some folks are used to boomy bass and shaved off treble and along comes an amp that is ruler flat, is super tight with no extra added bloom and it might throw them somewhat (especially at a meet with a Sabre based DAC). If you go back over older posts from some seasoned veterans, the respect for both the GS-1 and GS-X is very high! I've had mine now for several years and have heard many new amps over that time, but none have done it for me that the GS-X Mk2 does.

May 30, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,056 of 8,800

lol... dude he used a perfect DAC to throw in for a comparison. I had the Metrum Acoustics Musette and it paired lovely with the HD800S but with the Kennerton Vali it sounded overly warm and thick in the lower midrange. It sounded great with the iHA-6 which was a little nuetral and bright but  to be honest I have heard just as drastic a difference in warmth between DACS as I have between amps. 

Certainly my impressions (and by far most GS-X owners...and Tyll's measurements) would go against those few ones for sure. Some folks are used to boomy bass and shaved off treble and along comes an amp that is ruler flat, is super tight with no extra added bloom and it might throw them somewhat (especially at a meet with a Sabre based DAC). If you go back over older posts from some seasoned veterans, the respect for both the GS-1 and GS-X is very high! I've had mine now for several years and have heard many new amps over that time, but none have done it for me that the GS-X Mk2 does.

I am not saying I have read it to be bad. Just lean and bright. I get you though.  If I had the dough I would buy one. I don't mind my solid state to be slightly bright since I have a tube already. Also since I have an incoming Metrum Pavane I would definitely not think It would be a bad pairing. 

But I differ than you in thinking the HD800S is not neutral but lean and bright, on some recordings it doesn't sound that way while others it's most obviously different in balance than your average studio set up. Not really going down that rabbit hole though.... been there.

May 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #1,057 of 8,800
  I am not saying I have read it to be bad. Just lean and bright. I get you though.  If I had the dough I would buy one. I don't mind my solid state to be slightly bright since I have a tube already. Also since I have an incoming Metrum Pavane I would definitely not think It would be a bad pairing. 

But I differ than you in thinking the HD800S is not neutral but lean and bright, on some recordings it doesn't sound that way while others it's most obviously different in balance than your average studio set up. Not really going down that rabbit hole though.... been there.

That Pavane and GS-X Mk2 would be brilliant.
evil_smiley.gif
 Just on tubes...depends on the amp. Not all are warm sounding. Depending on the design, I've often heard the opposite of the notion that tube amps are warmer than ss. Like most things in life...it depends. 
redface.gif

May 30, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,058 of 8,800

That Pavane and GS-X Mk2 would be brilliant. Just on tubes...depends on the amp. Not all are warm sounding. Depending on the design, I've often heard the opposite of the notion that tube amps are warmer than ss. Like most things in life...it depends. 
redface.gif

I have the Trafomatic head 2 as my tube... Thats what I meant... I am cool on a tube amp. Its not overly dark or rounded in the highs but has very good dynamics, depth and details.... I love it. I just really want a solid state but feel kind of maxed out now after the Pavane. If I could by a solid state it would be the GS-X MK2 without question. After just now reading Bob Katz on the matter I am more inclined to take his word as confirmation to yours. However, I would have to sell my beloved HD800S and then some... which may have to go up for sale to fund the Black widow. I am sooo close to my end game set up but sooo far. Maybe next year this time I will be done. 

May 31, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,059 of 8,800
  I have the Trafomatic head 2 as my tube... Thats what I meant... I am cool on a tube amp. Its not overly dark or rounded in the highs but has very good dynamics, depth and details.... I love it. I just really want a solid state but feel kind of maxed out now after the Pavane. If I could by a solid state it would be the GS-X MK2 without question. After just now reading Bob Katz on the matter I am more inclined to take his word as confirmation to yours. However, I would have to sell my beloved HD800S and then some... which may have to go up for sale to fund the Black widow. I am sooo close to my end game set up but sooo far. Maybe next year this time I will be done. 

Congrats on your Pavane...I was so thoroughly impressed with the Hex and I can only imagine how things have improved with this DAC.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,060 of 8,800

That Pavane and GS-X Mk2 would be brilliant.
evil_smiley.gif

redface.gif

That is the combination I am currently using, with my HD800S and LCD3F, and it really is brilliant. The GS-X Mk 2 is not remotely lean or bright. Other amps, particularly tube amps, may be warm or colored, or bloated by comparison. The GS-X Mk 2 is the most transparent amp I know. It is completely neutral, yet very musical. It is uncolored but able to reproduce tonal color with incredible fidelity, along with the speed and dynamics that only solid state amps provide. It is worth saving up for.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #1,061 of 8,800
That is the combination I am currently using, with my HD800S and LCD3F, and it really is brilliant. The GS-X Mk 2 is not remotely lean or bright. Other amps, particularly tube amps, may be warm or colored, or bloated by comparison. The GS-X Mk 2 is the most transparent amp I know. It is completely neutral, yet very musical. It is uncolored but able to reproduce tonal color with incredible fidelity, along with the speed and dynamics that only solid state amps provide. It is worth saving up for.

Have you heard Auralic's Taurus Mk2? This review's measurements seem to suggest it's not that different from the GS-X Mk2... "straight wire with gain"

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

It's often said to be (too?) bright as well, especially by those preferring the somewhat warmer V281...

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,062 of 8,800
Here's a mainstream review, The Verge, that raves about the HD800. Only thing I found surprising is that while the sound gets 10/10 comfort gets 8/10. What is more comfortable than a pair of HD800/S ???

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiIgqKLzInNAhXEBBoKHT5eDSUQqQIIHTAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theverge.com%2F2016%2F6%2F1%2F11817494%2Fsennheiser-hd-800-s-headphones-review&usg=AFQjCNF-4-JaGqODW0A9sWZBCgC73ZANLQ&sig2=X4Yiwwz7XuSEAidb7HyZTw

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #1,063 of 8,800
Have you heard Auralic's Taurus Mk2? This review's measurements seem to suggest it's not that different from the GS-X Mk2... "straight wire with gain"

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/auralic-taurus-mkii-balanced-headphone-amp-review/

It's often said to be (too?) bright as well, especially by those preferring the somewhat warmer V281...

Yes, I own a Taurus Mk 2 as well. It has a similar tonality to the GS-X Mk 2, but is a notch or two below it in sound quality. Both are neutral, neither are bright.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,065 of 8,800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back