Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,066 of 8,802
  I had the HD650 for years. I'd classify the HD800S as a complementary phone as opposed to a complete upgrade. It bests the HD650 handily in terms of soundstage, clarity, imaging, extension and neutrality; but in doing so sacrifices some of the HD650s tactility, warmth, tonality, micro-detail and intimacy. The 650 (and 600) are certainly two of the greatest bargains in all of audio, delivering world-class performances at any price-point. They have been bettered technically, but not by much, and usually not completely (ie, without their "betters" sacrificing some quality they possess). 

I'm curious what you mean when you say that the 650 bests the 800 in micro-detail. That's not something I've heard before.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,067 of 8,802
  Those of you who listen to classical music, is the HD800S as much a superlative performer for this genre as the original?

This was covered earlier in the thread and most (notably in in post #243). I owned both the HD 800 (with EQ) and HD 800 S and preferred the HD 800 with classical music. However, the HD 800 S is more forgiving and more ideal for older recordings or extended listening sessions. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #1,068 of 8,802
Those of you who listen to classical music, is the HD800S as much a superlative performer for this genre as the original?
Likely one of its best attributes is how it performs in the classical genre.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 7, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,069 of 8,802
Likely one of its best attributes is how it performs in the classical genre.

I'm looking forward to comparing the two. I'm hoping for a moderate improvement to the body of the mids. It would be amazing to have some of the warmth of a planar and the imaging of the HD800, but trying to keep expectations low.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,071 of 8,802

This was covered earlier in the thread and most (notably in in post #243). I owned both the HD 800 (with EQ) and HD 800 S and preferred the HD 800 with classical music. However, the HD 800 S is more forgiving and more ideal for older recordings or extended listening sessions. 

Thanks, that was very helpful. Sounds like the additional mids body that I am looking for.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #1,072 of 8,802

I can certainly understand why someone would prefer the classic over the S for classical. But I most definitely go the other way. Instrumental timbre on the S, sounds more like the real thing to me. For example. piano sounds more like the steinway baby grand that sits in my living room with the S than with the classic. Violins tend to be more realistically slightly less strident. It is a small difference, but meaningful nonetheless. But I am talking about the two headphones w/o EQ. But I don't see how EQ can totally overcome earcup resonance, compared to a hemholz resonator which should be able to mitigate some of that. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #1,073 of 8,802

If you own the original HD 800 and strictly listen to classical music, then stick with the original HD 800 since the problems of the HD 800 didn't really show with these types of music. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,074 of 8,802
Hello guys,

So I was expecting the Hdvd820 this month when I pre-ordered it but I called the shop who called the Distributor and here are the news :

The release of the HDVD820 has been postponed to October 2016.
Because of the recent hype over the Meridian Mqa. http://tinyurl.com/nquvjky
Sennheiser is now looking into getting a Dac Mqa compatible because they don't want to pull out their new baby without the latest technology.

P.s This is not the appropriate forum for it but I know a few person will be interested in this info.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,076 of 8,802
Hello guys,

So I was expecting the Hdvd820 this month when I pre-ordered it but I called the shop who called the Distributor and here are the news :

Sennheiser is now looking into getting a Dac Mqa compatible because they don't want to pull out their new baby without the latest technology.

P.s This is not the appropriate forum for it but I know a few person will be interested in this info.

Do you know how much is it?

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,077 of 8,802

If you own the original HD 800 and strictly listen to classical music, then stick with the original HD 800 since the problems of the HD 800 didn't really show with these types of music. 

Not necessarily IMHO, the added base does wonders in adding impact, especially with the timpani, which also rounds out or balances the overall tonal structure, midrange becomes a bit fuller because of, violins take on a more natural timbre.... so a win win situation if I may say so. It’s not a radical departure from the original 800s, if memory serves me correctly, but just enough to make the “S”s slightly more palatable and less clinical over its predecessor and a more satisfying listen overall.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,078 of 8,802
Do you know how much is it?

Yes I got a 10% off deal when I preordered it because I bought the Hd800s at the same time so I paid 2000 euros for it but the street price in Europe will be 2199 euros. Unless they change that as well in the meantime. That's the price they gave me in March before they wanted to add Mqa. At the time all they were adding to the hdvd800 was Dsd.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,079 of 8,802
  Hello guys,

Several weeks ago I speculated in the HDVD 800 thread that Sennheiser likely delayed the release because of MQA. With a growing list of audio companies like PS Audio, Schiit, etc. etc. not backing MQA, I hope Sennheiser is placing the right bets. If not, they will have sacrificed 10-11 months of HDVD 800 sales and wasted engineering time, resources, and development costs on a technology that could flop. And even if MQA succeeds, it will probably be used by a very small percentage of HDVD 800 buyers so there is little business justification for it. Sennheiser should not be distracted with adding support for more audio formats-- they need to remain focused on implementing a better DAC with the best possible sound quality regardless of which formats are supported. If Sennheiser is making the decision between a low quality DAC with MQA versus a high quality DAC without MQA, I hope they select the best sounding DAC possible. I'm also dumbfounded Sennheiser did not at least bring a black version of the HDVA 600 to the market when the HD 800 S was launched to satisfy some of the demand. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,080 of 8,802
Hear (pun intended
smile.gif
) I’m thinking my new HD800S are the cats meow, well at least with classical, jazz, most vocal/instrumental music  and a fair amount of EDM but throwing on Underworld’s album “Dark & Long” the “S”s just didn’t seem to do it and started to loose interest and felt as if someone just left the drum machine running a little too long.

Switching over to my current “chill out” phones…my LCD2.2s…the immersion was back and those repetitive base and drum lines were not annoying at all and I got lost in the rhythm.

Both phones are very satisfying but in their own way, but for me the HD800S are like laying out in a Corbusier Chaise Lounge

And the LCD2.2s….a ...La-Z-Boy
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back