Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #6,617 of 8,696
Cables allowed

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #6,622 of 8,696
You can always do your research, being 10M times n all :wink:

Definitely the HD800 as far more neutral. You can always do an SDR mod if you want the added harmonic distortion, or remove the resonator from a HD800S (peel off the protective mesh/resonator) and replace...lots of ways to try and see what works for you. EQ for resonance and whatever FR you want; no eq for dsd.

They are both very capable headphones that respond very well to tuning.

...and don't add Dekonis or aftermarket pads, there's always a tradeoff

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #6,623 of 8,696
Sorry to be the 10 billionth person to ask this:
Should I get the HD800 or HD800S if I want a neutral sound? Are the HD800(S) even a good choice for a neutral pair?
And can I use an EQ if I have DSD?
You can always do your research, being 10M times n all :wink:

Definitely the HD800 as far more neutral. You can always do an SDR mod if you want the added harmonic distortion, or remove the resonator from a HD800S (peel off the protective mesh/resonator) and replace...lots of ways to try and see what works for you. EQ for resonance and whatever FR you want; no eq for dsd.

They are both very capable headphones that respond very well to tuning.

...and don't add Dekonis or aftermarket pads, there's always a tradeoff
Should I get the HD800 or HD800S if I want a neutral sound? Are the HD800(S) even a good choice for a neutral pair?
Neither are as neutral as AKG812 if that is your priority.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #6,624 of 8,696
Currently I’m using V280 as the main amp. I think it is a very capable amp with neutral warm that pairs nicely with HD800S. However, I am also looking for more analog sound. Any recommendation for tube amp that pairs well?

Sep 15, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #6,628 of 8,696
Ok! I think it is quite hard to try on Audiovalve and Eddie current product in Singapore. Will definitely give Feliks an audition tho. Thank you all!

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #6,630 of 8,696
I'm using the Woo Audio WA2 with the HD800. The higher output impedance of the OTL design lends itselft well to add some fullness to the somewhat lean nature of the HD800. The presentatuon is rich, full bodied and silky smooth.
For a more dynamic, fast and transparent presentation i switch to my Quicksilver Headphone Amp.

Edit: vintage receivers/integrateds are excellent choices too due to their higher output impedance.

Edit #2: as much as i like my Bryston BHA-1, i find the mids a little too lean for the HD800. I definitely prefer tube amps with the HD800.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back