Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #6,631 of 8,577
The WA22 is certainly adding some excellent tube character to HD800S Anniversary.

IMG_1830.jpeg

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #6,632 of 8,577
Hi everyone, I have an HD800S on the way and I'm trying to find an amp that will pair will with it for PC gaming (mostly FPS, emphasis on hearing footsteps, distance) and casual music (I enjoy all types of music but would like some bass for the pop/hip-hop/movies experience).

I've done quite a bit of research and although there's tons of great info, it's a bit overwhelming. I'm considering the following and probably up to $500 USD for budget - I'm OK to EQ through Equalizer APO but would ideally like to set once and forget:

- Schiit Hel (I know these may not be the ideal to bring the best out of the HD800S, but I like the simple, all in one solution)
- JDS Atom Amp - seems like lots of recommendation for these for the price
- Schiit Asgard 3, seems like lots of people compliment these for bringing out more color/fun?
- Drop THX 789, I'm really considering these since they are on sale for 199, but I've heard they don't really bring out the 'fun' in the headphones? Will software EQ work well with these to bring out the bass for music?
- Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP, heard these are very good but these are peaking towards the ceiling of my budget.

I'm siding towards the Hel or 789 because of the positive comments pairing those w/ HD800S from Joshua Valour's reviews but on the same plane I've also read through forums that the Asgard 3 does very well with these.

For the dedicated amps, it may not be ideal but I will likely just use my X570 Aorus Master's DAC to start (unless I get the Hel or Monolith) and if I decide to get a DAC, it'll be another adventure, but I have heard good things about the JDS Atom DAC+.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #6,633 of 8,577
Hi everyone, I have an HD800S on the way and I'm trying to find an amp that will pair will with it for PC gaming (mostly FPS, emphasis on hearing footsteps, distance) and casual music (I enjoy all types of music but would like some bass for the pop/hip-hop/movies experience).

I've done quite a bit of research and although there's tons of great info, it's a bit overwhelming. I'm considering the following and probably up to $500 USD for budget - I'm OK to EQ through Equalizer APO but would ideally like to set once and forget:

- Schiit Hel (I know these may not be the ideal to bring the best out of the HD800S, but I like the simple, all in one solution)
- Schiit Asgard 3, seems like lots of people compliment these for bringing out more color/fun?
- Drop THX 789, I'm really considering these since they are on sale for 199, but I've heard they don't really bring out the 'fun' in the headphones? Will software EQ work well with these to bring out the bass for music?
- Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP, heard these are very good but these are peaking towards the ceiling of my budget.

For the dedicated amps, it may not be ideal but I will likely just use my X570 Aorus Master's DAC to start (unless I get the Monolith) and if I decide to get a DAC, it'll be another adventure, but I have heard good things about the JDS Atom DAC+.

Sound Blaster X7

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #6,634 of 8,577

For the dedicated amps, it may not be ideal but I will likely just use my X570 Aorus Master's DAC to start (unless I get the Monolith) and if I decide to get a DAC, it'll be another adventure, but I have heard good things about the JDS Atom DAC+.

I own the hd 800 s with the Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP and use it single ended and it sounds perfect

I was kind of like you were i would want something more then the eaqualizer apo app, and there were only two amp/dac units that i could find that had a built in eq and the monoprice was cheaper then the rme which was around $1200 i think.

Using the built in eq settings i set the bass and treble to the harman target via oratorys rme eq settings and i don't eq the mids and it sounds perfect for everything then!

I highly recommend the Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP since if your a gamer like me who also plays console as then you can connect your console to the amp/dac unit and still have the eq enabled then unlike with the apo app your stuck being able to use eq only on the pc then.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #6,635 of 8,577
I own the hd 800 s with the Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP and use it single ended and it sounds perfect

I was kind of like you were i would want something more then the eaqualizer apo app, and there were only two amp/dac units that i could find that had a built in eq and the monoprice was cheaper then the rme which was around $1200 i think.

Using the built in eq settings i set the bass and treble to the harman target via oratorys rme eq settings and i don't eq the mids and it sounds perfect for everything then!

I highly recommend the Monoprice Monolith DAC/AMP since if your a gamer like me who also plays console as then you can connect your console to the amp/dac unit and still have the eq enabled then unlike with the apo app your stuck being able to use eq only on the pc then.

Thanks, I’ve ordered the Monolith based on your recommendation :)

May I ask what EQ settings you use on it? Does the Monolith have a way to turn off EQ, via switch or on/off?

I assume if you use the hardware EQ, you’re not using PC to EQ at all?

Thanks again!

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6,636 of 8,577
Thanks, I’ve ordered the Monolith based on your recommendation :)

May I ask what EQ settings you use on it? Does the Monolith have a way to turn off EQ, via switch or on/off?

I assume if you use the hardware EQ, you’re not using PC to EQ at all?

Thanks again!
Glad i could help you find something! with me using my headphones for everything with the majority of my time being gaming and not just music on my pc i needed a global eq option and like i said this fits my needs perfectly! it alsp has a setting called dirac which i dont normally use, but on older recordings were its very left or right channel only audio, the dirac settings adds a bit of cross feed ( it think that is what its called) so it sounds more natural sometimes on things like that, in the zeos review he mentions that and explains it more

yea you can toggle the eq settings on or off completey in the settings. i think zeos reviews has a review on this unit and he goes through the menu options, if you want to get an idea on what it looks like

and yeah with this unit i do not use any other eq on the pc or anything else beside the hardware eq on the unit, the only time i use peace eq on the is to test out new settings as its quicker to test new things on that then the monoprice unit, but after im done testing, i apply it on the unit

sure my eq settings are the following

low shelf of 5.5 db at 100hz

high shelf of -5 db at 10000hz

peak filter of -5 db with q value of 3.5 at 5500hz

peak filter of-2 db with q value of 5 at 6300hz

this was based on the oratorys harman target eq but i leave out the mids section of that as i think it adding that makes it not sound as good

if you search "oratory eq" he has an eq profile for the hd 800 s which was recently updated i think and i took the treble section from that, he also has an rme compatible eq profile which will work on the device your getting since its so similar, here below is the rme/monoprice full eq profile with the updated treble section ( as i think the updated treble section sounds better from the treble section in the rme profile so i combined the two) from the non rme profile if you want to try the whole thing out

peak filter of of-2 db with q value of 5 at 6300hz

peak filter of -4 db with q value of 0.5 at 170hz

peak filter of -3 db with q value of 0.7 at 1100hz

peak filter of 3 db with q value of 1 at 1500hz

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #6,637 of 8,577
Glad i could help you find something! with me using my headphones for everything with the majority of my time being gaming and not just music on my pc i needed a global eq option and like i said this fits my needs perfectly! it alsp has a setting called dirac which i dont normally use, but on older recordings were its very left or right channel only audio, the dirac settings adds a bit of cross feed ( it think that is what its called) so it sounds more natural sometimes on things like that, in the zeos review he mentions that and explains it more

yea you can toggle the eq settings on or off completey in the settings. i think zeos reviews has a review on this unit and he goes through the menu options, if you want to get an idea on what it looks like

and yeah with this unit i do not use any other eq on the pc or anything else beside the hardware eq on the unit, the only time i use peace eq on the is to test out new settings as its quicker to test new things on that then the monoprice unit, but after im done testing, i apply it on the unit

sure my eq settings are the following

peak filter of-2 db with q value of 5 at 6300hz

this was based on the oratorys harman target eq but i leave out the mids section of that as i think it adding that makes it not sound as good

if you search "oratory eq" he has an eq profile for the hd 800 s which was recently updated i think and i took the treble section from that, he also has an rme compatible eq profile which will work on the device your getting since its so similar, here below is the rme/monoprice full eq profile with the updated treble section ( as i think the updated treble section sounds better from the treble section in the rme profile so i combined the two) from the non rme profile if you want to try the whole thing out

peak filter of of-2 db with q value of 5 at 6300hz

peak filter of -4 db with q value of 0.5 at 170hz

peak filter of -3 db with q value of 0.7 at 1100hz

peak filter of 3 db with q value of 1 at 1500hz
I got the headphone and dac/amp sooner than expected and I'm loving it so far! I applied the EQ's for a bit more bass and warmth and am really enjoying the flexibility of the HD800S with different musical genres.

Also tried COD Warzone and these are insane, these sure do enhance the spatial awareness in-game (even though Warzone's sound design is very bad)! My X2HR was very good but these definitely gave me confidence in where exactly footsteps are coming from - I reverted back to no-EQ for gaming.

I guess the only drawback is going back and forth on EQ when listening to music vs gaming but that is a minor inconvenience compared to how flexible these cans are.

Again, thanks for all your help and recommendation on dac/amp!!

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #6,640 of 8,577

I'm siding towards the Hel or 789 because of the positive comments pairing those w/ HD800S from Joshua Valour's reviews but on the same plane I've also read through forums that the Asgard 3 does very well with these.

For the dedicated amps, it may not be ideal but I will likely just use my X570 Aorus Master's DAC to start (unless I get the Hel or Monolith) and if I decide to get a DAC, it'll be another adventure, but I have heard good things about the JDS Atom DAC+.

Rupert neve ?

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #6,641 of 8,577

I dont think 789 and Atom will be a good pairing with HD800S. It might sound a little bit lean and thin.
Asgard3, RNHP, and Lakepeople G111 might be a better pairing for smoother presentation, for your future consideration.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #6,642 of 8,577
Btw did they change the HD800S in the recent years? The clamping is much tighter and the headband material feels different as well with the slider being more sturdy. My old HD800S which i bought around 3+ yrs ago the clamping was so damn light and the slider was so loose that the heavy cups could easily slide all the way to the bottom with the slightest pressure.
Plus now the box comes with the cheap ass foam instead of the luxury looking silk cloth...

Sound wise this feels more bass-y compared to my old HD800S from memory :sweat_smile:

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #6,643 of 8,577
memories are as reliable as eye witness testimony

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #6,644 of 8,577
Well I’m definitely sure of the physical changes. As for the sound difference i will double confirm again later with what I used last time. I’m positive I remember how my old HD800S sounds though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back