Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #5,762 of 8,747
Thank you for your feedback. The reason i asked is because the SQ improvements using this option were significant (borderline dramatic) for my HE-500, but then we are talking planar magnetic and less sensitive headphones.

Maybe i should reframe the question; is anyone successfully driving the HD800 through amplifier speaker terminals?

This is a totally different situation. It's unsafe and totally unnecessary to drive Sennheisers like the HD 800 off speaker terminals.

Don't try this at home, boys and girls.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #5,763 of 8,747
We’re well past the age of iPods now. High end DAPs have narrowed the gap in SQ significantly, and if you haven’t heard something like the balanced output of a KANN, WM1Z, Onkyo’s high end player, or another well-regarded high end player, you won’t know just how capable they really are. I’m not specifically endorsing it, but my FiiO X7 (yeah, the old Mark I version, with an AM2A SE medium power module) sounds quite lively and dynamic with my HD 650 (significant step up over my ZX300, which IMO is good with the HD 660S balanced but not powerful enough with my HD 800 or HD 650 and DOES sound unnatural and lifeless with those models, though it is quite detailed)

Fast forward some models ... and the FiiO M15 drives my HD800S with ease. Amazing.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #5,766 of 8,747
On another note, I sold ALL my aftermarket cables for the HD800S and use now exclusively the stock 6.4mm for the PC and the (rather long) 4.4mm with my FiiO M15.
I do not feel I am missing out on anything.

Anybody shares the sentiment?

I don't believe cables have sound unless they're defective. For me aftermarket cables are about things other than sound. But I don't drive 800s out of portable devices.

Therefore I share your sentiment partially :wink:

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #5,769 of 8,747
I don't believe cables have sound unless they're defective. For me aftermarket cables are about things other than sound. But I don't drive 800s out of portable devices.

Therefore I share your sentiment partially :wink:
Ya I cant say I'm down with buying cables that did not come with the headphones. I mean, the cans were designed with those cables.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #5,770 of 8,747
Cabelitus is a phenom that effects a solid minority of head fi, I’m one and I’m not seeking treatment.
not that I’m buying a hp, but yes I have to add a dhc prion cable to the order realizing it could take 2-6 months, so I’d order the cable first. Sick eh

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,771 of 8,747
Ya I cant say I'm down with buying cables that did not come with the headphones. I mean, the cans were designed with those cables.

Well I think there are a lot of valid reasons to get aftermarket cables. I don't think sound is one of them though.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #5,772 of 8,747
Well I think there are a lot of valid reasons to get aftermarket cables. I don't think sound is one of them though.

I think for me most are ergonomically and how they feel. Most stock cables are heavy and stiff ... e.g. Empy and Utopia. But the Sennheisee cables are a bit thick but extremely light and bendable. Which takes away most buying reasons ... for me, at least.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #5,773 of 8,747
well ill pry open the can just for the halibut, sound improvement ( preference) is the primary motivation, microphonic and rfi second and aesthetics including softness is third, but please carry on. I dare not say this in SS

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #5,775 of 8,747
Well they look pretty

To me, aftermarket cables are worth looking into when you want a specific appearance, or handling qualities, or balanced connectors, or a different length, or sometimes better build quality as in human with a soldering iron rather than angry robot in China etc. I found a couple of shops that make good cheap cables that score on all these points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back