Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #5,791 of 8,746
I don't know what a large bouncy sound is if we don't count what I hear when the girl with the prominent front end sits down next to me on the bus.

Can you be more specific? Cables are not going to help btw.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #5,792 of 8,746
I don't know what a large bouncy sound is if we don't count what I hear when the girl with the prominent front end sits down next to me on the bus.

Can you be more specific? Cables are not going to help btw.
I mean I prefer a faster bass response and more lower end bass, my current system sounds a little bit "muddy", lacking some lower end bass.
It feels there's bass, the overall timbre is good, soundstage is okay, but it feels like it has gone through a high pass with lower than 100Hz greatly reduced.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #5,794 of 8,746
For soundstage in a dynamic headphone the 800/800S is it. They're analytical and not warm as you know. I can't see using them as an everyday headphone for most kinds of music. A warm tube OTL amp will help to some degree. But the headphones are what they are. For most kinds of music, a pair of 600s will be a lot more enjoyable for most people.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #5,795 of 8,746
I mean I prefer a faster bass response and more lower end bass, my current system sounds a little bit "muddy", lacking some lower end bass.
It feels there's bass, the overall timbre is good, soundstage is okay, but it feels like it has gone through a high pass with lower than 100Hz greatly reduced.

I don't know your equipment. The 800S was reported to have muddy bass as a tradeoff to the treble peak. I haven't heard the S model.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #5,796 of 8,746
For soundstage in a dynamic headphone the 800/800S is it. They're analytical and not warm as you know. I can't see using them as an everyday headphone for most kinds of music. A warm tube OTL amp will help to some degree. But the headphones are what they are. For most kinds of music, a pair of 600s will be a lot more enjoyable for most people.
Yeah 600 was my previous can, I'm just seeking a larger headroom.
I usually listen to movie/game soundtracks and only some rock for it, so far I'm satisfied except that bass response, if there's a moderate boost it's gonna be my endgame(tried Utopia also, not really my thing)

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #5,798 of 8,746
I don't know your equipment. The 800S was reported to have muddy bass as a tradeoff to the treble peak. I haven't heard the S model.
Oh okay... Yeah I heard HD800 original only once on a SP200, it's quite stimulating, my current system was much less "revealing" than that so there's some possibility I'm gonna be happy with it...
Maybe I should borrow a HD800 to compare again, thank you.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5,799 of 8,746
here's the story, currently using questyle 4 stack with NEI2001 to drive my HD800S, I'm using a audio sensibility statement silver to use as the balanced cable
but both the stock cable and this silver don't meet my expectations in terms of bass dynamic, indeed more than enough bass is there, but It took some pain to dive fast and deep------especially when I was quite the fan of HD25. I currently don't want to change the overall amp setup, which part should I try to change?
My best guess was that statement silver cable since it's only 24AWG silver, which is more like a portable setup instead of desktop, or maybe I should improve my power condition?(I only use basic output of my apartment)
Or maybe... just maybe, HD800s is not my best choice for a bouncy yet large soundstage?

While I believe that cables sound different, my experience has been that I have found no logical, linear way to determine what size, material, dielectric, braid, etc. leads to a specific sonic personality. So I’ve abandoned tone control via cables; it’s no fun.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5,800 of 8,746
While I believe that cables sound different, my experience has been that I have found no logical, linear way to determine what size, material, dielectric, braid, etc. leads to a specific sonic personality. So I’ve abandoned tone control via cables; it’s no fun.
There is some basic structures leading so some characteristic, but yeah, not worth it.
I don't want to come to this but I'm already very close to ideal setup... Pain.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #5,801 of 8,746
Yeah 600 was my previous can, I'm just seeking a larger headroom.
I usually listen to movie/game soundtracks and only some rock for it, so far I'm satisfied except that bass response, if there's a moderate boost it's gonna be my endgame(tried Utopia also, not really my thing)

I don't understand what you mean by headroom as it applies to cans. Anyway, LCD-2C is worth listening to for movies and rock if you want more impact and slam, but it is very different from the 800/800S. The LCD-2C is warm, very warm compared to the 800.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #5,802 of 8,746
I don't understand what you mean by headroom as it applies to cans. Anyway, LCD-2C is worth listening to for movies and rock if you want more impact and slam, but it is very different from the 800/800S. The LCD-2C is warm, very warm compared to the 800.
Just like an alternate word for soundstage... I think I only need a HD600 with improved soundstage and more details... No wonder everyone call them a classic can.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #5,803 of 8,746
Just like an alternate word for soundstage... I think I only need a HD600 with improved soundstage and more details... No wonder everyone call them a classic can.

It's a very tall order to find anything near the price that is so perfectly balanced.

I haven't heard them but I have read a lot of posts regarding one of the AKGs that is supposed to have great soundstage. I have read a lot of posts by guys saying certain Beyers have good soundstage and a lot of detail. Again, not sure which one(s). Sorry I can't be more helpful. I will say Sennheiser guys don't seem to like Beyers and vice versa. I am not sure why that is. I have one of the Beyer gaming headsets and I don't like it at all.

Maybe search or start a new thread about cans with great soundstage.

Jun 25, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5,804 of 8,746
It's a very tall order to find anything near the price that is so perfectly balanced.

I haven't heard them but I have read a lot of posts regarding one of the AKGs that is supposed to have great soundstage. I have read a lot of posts by guys saying certain Beyers have good soundstage and a lot of detail. Again, not sure which one(s). Sorry I can't be more helpful. I will say Sennheiser guys don't seem to like Beyers and vice versa. I am not sure why that is. I have one of the Beyer gaming headsets and I don't like it at all.

Maybe search or start a new thread about cans with great soundstage.
Yeah maybe I'll start with original HD800 first, thank you again for your suggestions.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5,805 of 8,746
That is an eternal discussion. Each connection / bridge is a loss but the question is "does it matter". My answer to adapters is no, provided it is a quality adapter as far as I can judge. I do avoid cable-based adapters and prefer the ones which come in one piece. For one connection (2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS) I once had two adapters, and there were more differences between the two than I had expected.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, having a straight adapter.
I'm just VERY scared that it is 4.4mm to 4-Pin XLR but not made properly balanced and short my amp that I get the adapter from AliExpress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back