Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #5,806 of 8,800
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, having a straight adapter.
I'm just VERY scared that it is 4.4mm to 4-Pin XLR but not made properly balanced and short my amp that I get the adapter from AliExpress
I Lack the technical understanding but as far as I see, I’d be more concerned about the headphones. But I wouldn’t worry too much about faults like this, more that the adapter sounds inferior.
if you really want to have the best available adapter (in my books) search for affinitycable here and on ebay. Sean is based in Singapore, has all impedance measurements of all his adapters, and does top notch work. His price is more than aliexpress stuff, thou :).

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #5,807 of 8,800
here's the story, currently using questyle 4 stack with NEI2001 to drive my HD800S, I'm using a audio sensibility statement silver to use as the balanced cable
but both the stock cable and this silver don't meet my expectations in terms of bass dynamic, indeed more than enough bass is there, but It took some pain to dive fast and deep------especially when I was quite the fan of HD25. I currently don't want to change the overall amp setup, which part should I try to change?
My best guess was that statement silver cable since it's only 24AWG silver, which is more like a portable setup instead of desktop, or maybe I should improve my power condition?(I only use basic output of my apartment)
Or maybe... just maybe, HD800s is not my best choice for a bouncy yet large soundstage?

I think maybe the HD800s is not what you're looking for. Cables, power conditioners, etc will not change the basic nature of the headphone.
I think you would be happier with planar magnetics; more body, less dry, rich, smooth.
Did you consider the Arya?

Jun 25, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #5,808 of 8,800
I think maybe the HD800s is not what you're looking for. Cables, power conditioners, etc will not change the basic nature of the headphone.
I think you would be happier with planar magnetics; more body, less dry, rich, smooth.
Did you consider the Arya?
Tried HE6 once under my previous setup of liquid platinum, and I still prefer the bass response of HD600:triportsad: or I have to use amp with much more current?

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #5,809 of 8,800
Tried HE6 once under my previous setup of liquid platinum, and I still prefer the bass response of HD600:triportsad: or I have to use amp with much more current?

If the bass response of the HD800S, try higher end ifi products like the iCan Pro. Their Xbass function is fantastic and elevates for me the HD800S from overly neutral to just right.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #5,810 of 8,800
If the bass response of the HD800S, try higher end ifi products like the iCan Pro. Their Xbass function is fantastic and elevates for me the HD800S from overly neutral to just right.
I don't need extra bass, it feels like not bright enough, I need little bit more around 2-3k and more around 100Hz to make it sound more energetic instead of dark, I like it's relatively neutral nature and large soundstage, that's why I haven't changed to other cans, but seeking small changes.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #5,812 of 8,800

The HE-6 is not your typical planar; it basically needs to be connected to power amp speaker terminals in order to bring out its best.
Most other planars are not that difficult to drive, although my HE-500 sounds significantly better through speaker amp terminals than any dedicated headphone amp i own or have owned.
But still, overall, planars might be more inline with your expectations.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #5,813 of 8,800
He 6 is a bass cannon hp in my opinion. Hd800S is a tad more neutral or balanced. It can get there if the source calls for it. My system had no problems playing both.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #5,814 of 8,800
I don't need extra bass, it feels like not bright enough, I need little bit more around 2-3k and more around 100Hz to make it sound more energetic instead of dark, I like it's relatively neutral nature and large soundstage, that's why I haven't changed to other cans, but seeking small changes.
Its not energetic enough you mean. Yes it is not energetic because MIDS are completely reccesed and it IS broken whitout eq.
Many people Use colored dacs like r2r or tube amps to roll of highs and upper mids. When in reality simple eq will bring much more positive changes. Silver cables, Sabre dacs, Neutral fast sounding amps bring worse in these headphones because its all highs, reccesed mids and not enough bass.
Tubes and other colored gear is only required for headphones and speakers with fatal flaws in fr.
Eq mids from 1,5khz to 4kz by 2,5 or 3db then boost bass in sub bass from 2db to 3db and it will become absolute beast.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #5,815 of 8,800
I Lack the technical understanding but as far as I see, I’d be more concerned about the headphones. But I wouldn’t worry too much about faults like this, more that the adapter sounds inferior.
if you really want to have the best available adapter (in my books) search for affinitycable here and on ebay. Sean is based in Singapore, has all impedance measurements of all his adapters, and does top notch work. His price is more than aliexpress stuff, thou :).

Tried searching but got nothing, oh well. I pulled the trigger on the 1 piece adapter I linked earlier.
You're right, it definitely sketches me out that I can't just buy it in-store for a guarantee.
Stupid COVID... stupid scarce stock in Canadia! :triportsad:

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #5,816 of 8,800

Perhaps you need to look at the original HD800! :ksc75smile:

Or, if you're looking to literally add more "bright" and "energy" on those particular frequencies--*looks at my MageSound Eight-Ball* try pushing the first slider to the left, the second slider to the right, and go for Intoxicating on the sixth slider :ksc75smile: Don't have the MSEB? It's free on the Android app for DAPs and such! Which Android app / what is it? :shhhhh:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #5,817 of 8,800
Perhaps you need to look at the original HD800! :ksc75smile:

Or, if you're looking to literally add more "bright" and "energy" on those particular frequencies--*looks at my MageSound Eight-Ball* try pushing the first slider to the left, the second slider to the right, and go for Intoxicating on the sixth slider :ksc75smile: Don't have the MSEB? It's free on the Android app for DAPs and such! Which Android app / what is it? :shhhhh:
Mids are responsible for energy and Highs are for shimmery. Why one should go for even more f up tonal balance?
Focal clear would be good choice though.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #5,818 of 8,800
For most kinds of music, a pair of 600s will be a lot more enjoyable for most people.
I have both the HD650 and HD800S. I prefer the HD800S higher resolution and larger/wider sound i think the intent of the music gets through more. I have no problem with bass with my audio chain but i do hear the HD650 have more sub bass maybe the HD800S wins in articulation and overall bass resolution at least thanks to the bigger drivers i hear larger/wider bass and same with all FR range sounds. Biggest minus some peaks, there the HD650 is more forgiving.

I bought mine in november 2017 (black friday) i havent tired of it, although not perfect i think its a solid HP. I dont know how many years will pass before i want to uppgrade. I dont want to side stepp. I am not sure what is considered at the moment to be an uppgrade without paying Meze Empyrean, LCD4, Susvara, Abyss Phi Tc money. I hope soundquality of those HP can eventually downtrickle in to lower priced HP around 2k$ range with natural evoulution and development.

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #5,819 of 8,800
I have both the HD650 and HD800S. I prefer the HD800S higher resolution and larger/wider sound i think the intent of the music gets through more. I have no problem with bass with my audio chain but i do hear the HD650 have more sub bass maybe the HD800S wins in articulation and overall bass resolution at least thanks to the bigger drivers i hear larger/wider bass and same with all FR range sounds. Biggest minus some peaks, there the HD650 is more forgiving.

I bought mine in november 2017 (black friday) i havent tired of it, although not perfect i think its a solid HP. I dont know how many years will pass before i want to uppgrade. I dont want to side stepp. I am not sure what is considered at the moment to be an uppgrade without paying Meze Empyrean, LCD4, Susvara, Abyss Phi Tc money. I hope soundquality of those HP can eventually downtrickle in to lower priced HP around 2k$ range with natural evoulution and development.

I have both those cans also. While I agree with most of your impressions, I actually find the 650 LESS forgiving, due to its upfront “Row A” presentation. Piano becomes too “bloomy” sometimes. For me, the 800S is more relaxed, yet its detail retrieval is superior.

Jun 27, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #5,820 of 8,800

No. HD650 sub bass is almost non existant. It does have more mid bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back